GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finally getting time to get out from behind the desk and under my car to begin building up my personal 1998 Nissan 240sx. Many may recognize my RB26 that’s been swapped in and out of some of the cars I’ve owned...

Our shop 350Z race car...

Being the owner of Raw Brokerage I guess it made sense to do something up for both myself and the company.

The goal behind the car is to keep it as streetable/ daily functional, while obviously getting some desirable performance out of it. This means that I won't be building a race car but a happy medium of fun and comfort for everyday driving.

Enough blabbing and onto some pictures (sorry for some of the water marking, can't find the originals of my older photos)…

The car was originally from Texas but I later purchased and shipped it down from Chicago.

Side by side with my brother's '98 Kouki with an R34 RB25 Neo...

Decided to start off installing some suspension bits and some BC Racing Coilovers…

A set of CCW Classics 18x9.5 for the front and a set of 18x11 in the rear were slapped on and aligned for good measure.

...but that didn’t last long as some idiots decided to jack the wheels off the car a month later :(

Oh well, back to stock wheels (replacements will come) and the decision to overhaul the car for some power…

The RB26 was built a few years back for another build of mine but changed my mind on the chassis to use. But since the change of events I've decided to drop it into my car..

Engine specs:
R32 RB26DETT (blue printed and clearance)
Modified RB26 AWD Oil Pan
R33 RB26DETT Crank Shaft
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP Main Bolts
Shot peened and cyro-treated rods
CP Pistons
Cometic Head Gasket
Tomei Type B Valve Springs, Ti retainers and keepers
Tomei lifters
SP Bronze valve guides
-12AN head drain
NGK Spark Plugs

Bolted on the intake side I retained the factory intake manifold setup and ITB’s…

Exhaust side for the time being wears a Full-Race manifold, T4 GT35R 1.06 A/R, Twin TiAl MV-S wastegates…

Fabricated a 4" downpipe coming off the turbo...

The front of the motor received a set of Raw Brokerage under driven accessory pulleys, 30% on the alternator and 10% on the water pump…

Also a 1500whp rated Ross Tuffbond MetalJacket and crank trigger wheel for the front of the crankshaft…

Now begins the car tear down…

The RB26 dressed with spare covers for test fitment

·
Registered
210 Posts
any reason you're not using the raw brokerage exhaust manifold? is the turbo using a twin scroll housing?

keep up the good work with the company

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any reason you're not using the raw brokerage exhaust manifold? is the turbo using a twin scroll housing?

keep up the good work with the company
I knew this question was going to come up :)

We had a full race manifold in stock which I planned on using before our manifolds were completed. Had already used it and test jigged my downpipe on it. Decided to run it, thats all.

If I could of used this downpipe and dumps without modifying them from one setup to the other, than I would of switched before hand.

After I get as much as I can out of this turbo... I'll be switching the whole setup for something rather interesting on one of our custom Raw Brokerage manifolds.... re: compound turbo setup

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Nice project!!
Very interesting to see you are using the ross crank trigger setup. I am waiting on a 'updated' version with 36 minus 2 teeth to go on my car! I have seen the results and improvements with this kit on a R32 GTR here in Sydney. Very nice bit of gear!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Setting up the fuel system...

Deatschwerks in-tank
-6AN braided line out of the tank
Anti-surge tank
Bosch 044
XRP Inline fuel filter
-10AN fuel feed line
Twin -6AN into the fuel rail
1000cc Injector Dynamic Injectors
-6AN fuel return line
Aeromotive FPR
-8AN fuel return to the anti-surge tank

Mock up of the anti-surge tank in the trunk...

·
Registered
683 Posts
dam those wheels were hot. thieving scum. good luck with the build fella. looks awesome already

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was out of commission for almost for a whole week due to wisdom teeth being removed… slow progress on the car but still chipping away:

Motor is all bolted in on McKinney Mounts for test fitting and fab work to be done…

Drivetrain all buckled up with a one piece steel Raw Brokerage driveshaft…

Notice the use the modified RB26 AWD oil pan causes interference with the cross member and steering rack…

my solution: going to shim the engine up slightly and shave the pan down in areas of interference)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Test fitting GT35R and Raw Brokerage front mount intercooler...

Keeping the bumper beam... just making some modifications to clear the FMIC. Measure, cut, grind, weld, grind, fitted!

Ran the fuel lines to the engine bay... -10 AN feed, custom bracket to a -6 AN split for dual feeding the fuel rail and -8 AN return from the soon to be mounted Aeromotive Fuel Pressure regulator

Interior tear down begins... along with the auto to manual conversion

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Are you dry sumping it?

I see in one picture you have the sump on with no oil pump and you can't get a wet sump oil pump on if the sump is already on, then I see a Ross damper with a dry sump drive and then thought you were going to install an empty housing on the front of the motor which you "might" be able to do with the sump on but then the sump you have is not suitable for drysump..............confused.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you dry sumping it?

I see in one picture you have the sump on with no oil pump and you can't get a wet sump oil pump on if the sump is already on, then I see a Ross damper with a dry sump drive and then thought you were going to install an empty housing on the front of the motor which you "might" be able to do with the sump on but then the sump you have is not suitable for drysump..............confused.....
was going to dry sump it as the motor was originally setup for a dry sump in our 350Z.

Now that it's been moved over into my daily S14 I'm keeping it wetsump and removing the the drive from the front of the balancer. A single stage wet sump was also planned bu time restraints prevent me from doing so at this time.

So internal wet sump will suffice till later this year.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interior is coming along, dash is pulled out along with some other interior trim to do the 5 speed conversion and the other interior wiring...

Ace test fitting the ISIS radiator and electric fans...

Radiator, intercooler, and bumper beam all installed...

Started to work on the custom power steering setup. Deceided to keep the AN fittings going and since I had to relocate the resisivor... mounted next to the radiator for a clean install...

Had to make some brackets... mounted to some factory threaded holes on the radiator support...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A little Birthday present to myself...

Haltech Platinum Pro Plug n' Play Stand alone engine management and Racepak Digital Cluster

1 - 20 of 71 Posts