GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to top up my tyres last night. All the valve caps came off perfect except one. Wouldnt budge at all. Took my pliers to it and hey presto, it sheered off and left me in the rain and cold, with a flat tyre. I was so happy I could have danced.

Does anyone know where I can get these from in the UK? Any suppliers?

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Abbey Motorsport maybe ? They just got me a set of Volk/Rays centre caps for my wheels. Worth a phone call.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Just a point here worth mentioning, though I don't know what caps you had on your valves. Mine were stuck on and I only discovered this when I tried to check the tyre/tire pressures in the car park at the Ring. Max embarrassment as I struggled to move them.

Back in the UK Abbey had to sort me out.

I had bought some bright and shiny aluminium/aluminum caps in Japan and they looked great, adding a little touch of blue. But al sets up some kind of catalysis and fuses with steel I have since been told. Once the aluminium corrodes on, you're stuffed... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what happened. The tyre centre had to use a hack saw.

Still, the rubber ones like sheeeeeit, so will be buying some more.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hmmm, maybe a little spray of WD-40 inside the caps as preventitive medicine?

Best get to it I think...:squintdan

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have rubber valve caps, they cost about 10 pence and do there job very well, I remove them and check my tyre pressures and then refit them. I have no need to call a 'tuner' to sort out my flat tyre when I break one, or be silly when the little kids steal them.

A lesson in 'upgrading' something that works very well the way it was.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Even more amusing with the rays valves - as I discovered, make sure the collar is done up - I went to check the air as I pushed the air gun on - the valve popped inside the wheel, the tyre went down pretty quick - lucky the air pressure inside was keeping it from doing that whilst driving :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get these from in the UK? Any suppliers?
If you have real trouble finding any, and/or they're ridiculously priced, I have a brand new unused set of the blue rays valves sitting around somewhere that I could let you have cheap. Will need to have a dig around in the garage, but I know they're in there somewhere.

I never used them 'cos they seemed to stand out (colour wise) against the rim, which I didn't like, so I went for these instead when I got the tyres, (didn't buy from here, just using the pic for reference):

Richbrook (Wheel Accessories) Flush Fit Valves - Euro Performance Car Parts

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I had those flush fits on my old car, in the heat of the summer the rubber liners and all that started to go and id get slow leaks! had to fill up the tires every 2 or 3 days, till i got ****ed and just went back to normal ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have rubber valve caps, they cost about 10 pence and do there job very well, I remove them and check my tyre pressures and then refit them. I have no need to call a 'tuner' to sort out my flat tyre when I break one, or be silly when the little kids steal them.

A lesson in 'upgrading' something that works very well the way it was.
So True :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts