GTR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just discovered today that my car has RAYS wheel nuts fitted, one of which on each wheel is a security nut with a slot on one edge and offset points, ie a standard socket will not fit.
Anyone know if you can buy the correct tool to undo them?
Needless to say I have searched the car from top to bottom and it's not in the there. I'd rather not resort to 'butchery' to get my wheels off.
Funny how the dealership I bought it from gave it a full service prior to supplying it, at least checking the wheel nuts must be part of a full service!?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
AFAIK you can't buy the key seperate as i remember reading a thread
in the Traders Section, where Envy Performance said you couldn't buy the lock key seperate, but had to buy a new set

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
AFAIK you can't buy the key seperate as i remember reading a thread
in the Traders Section, where Envy Performance said you couldn't buy the lock key seperate, but had to buy a new set
but are all the keys the same then?

because if they arent you can buy 5000 sets and still end up with the same problems...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, with the aid of a little 'butchery' to get one of the offending nuts off I have managed to make a 'key' to remove them.
I cut 7 sections of 10mm square steel and using the nut as a pattern I carefully welded them together to form the shape of the nut, then welded the whole mess to an old socket before turning the outside down on a lathe until it fitted nicely onto the nut without fouling the rim.

It's a little crude but it works and saved me having to buy another complete set! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.