GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first the reason for this thread -
i have read many things on this site that has very much helped me with lots of things with my car so when i decided to do this i though it would be good to give something back and help and maybe inspire people to do things on there cars themselves insted of paying people to do it for them.

Please i am not a machanic by trade so if you see anything that i have done wrong or could do better or even just a bit of support please feel free, i must add i am doing this as a bit of a long term thing as i dont have a load of money to buy all the parts in one go so i will update a bit at a time

I have had problems with my car for some time now, it has kept pushing oil out of the breathers when driven hard and over tme it has got worse untill one day it just had enough and spat over 1 ltr of oil out of the catch tank all over my tires at 145 mph not good

so thought about my options and decided i would rebuild it myself (well with a bit of help from a couple of friends) reasons for doing it myself

1 - i have always wated to do something like this
2 - i can not afford to pay somebody
3 - the amount people wanted for doing it was unreal
4 - i want to stand back and look at my car when its done and say i rebuilt that as this i think is far better than just handing over a big lump of cash

i have a decent level of mechanical skills but i am not a mechanic, most work i do is on bikes but what the hell i thought i would give it ago

sorry for picture quality

Fist my car -

PICS OF ENGINE COMEING OUT ARE ON ANOTHER CAMERA

the damage -

everything else on the engine is spot on all the other pistons the bearings the crank all look brand new, but there you go it only takes a couplr of tiny bits to brake and the hole thing comes apart

i am planning on putting wiseco pistons in and maybe ACL headgasket and bearig,if anybody has any ideas help or advice it would be very much appreciated.

·
Banned
907 Posts
I have a set of 87mm wiseco's to put in mine soon, did my previous car with 86.5mm wiseco's, I found them to be excellent, even the ring gaps were all spot on.
I'd use std Nissan bearings and gaskets, except if you are lowering the c/r, them use multi-layered s/steel type like cometic, tomei etc.
It does depend on your long term power goals but Nissans stuff is strong, all but those pesky pistons!
I'd say it is worth 'plasti-gauging' the big end clearences, there is many people who think just fitting the biggest option is always still about right, to bordering on too small.
other than a little time you should find it all straight forward enough.
All the best,
Andy.

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
I'm going through the exact same process at the moment, although I didn't have the same issues with my engine I just wanted to run more power.

Take your time and read through some of the threads on here about previous rebuilds - look for posts by JasonO on his rebuild. I did lots of research on pistons and rods in particular.

Also think about what your ultimate aims for the engine are and buy the parts to suit that goal rather than having to do it all again later.

Simon

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
I have a set of 87mm wiseco's to put in mine soon, did my previous car with 86.5mm wiseco's, I found them to be excellent, even the ring gaps were all spot on.
Andy.
Andy - why the change of piston size?

Simon

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am not looking for HUGE power the car is used for drifting so about 400 is good for me, so i was not going to change rods or anything like that but i was going to use ACL bearings and ACL meatal headgasket what do you think ????

·
Banned
907 Posts
Andy - why the change of piston size?

Simon
Why not?
Ok as far as I know 87 mm bore size is fine at medium power levels for a street car, and more cc's = better everything, so without going RB30 or stroker kits seemed logical to me, and I paid 450gbp from the USA all up for them.
Andy.
P.s. I have GTR rods to go in as well, from 'nissfan' I think? from this forum(good deal), because I do not kow thier full history I will use ARP or similar rod-bolts, but I will not replace any other bolts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
were did you get the pistons in the usa ???? do you think i should go for 87mm ? can you not get gtst rods Strengthened so they are as good if not better than standard gtr rods ?

·
Banned
907 Posts
GTS-T rods are a little lighter, and meant for less revs, say sub 7000rpm.
However I just like the idea of beefier rods, and I got the GTR ones for 120, and they are straight and clean, cheep for insurance I feel.
I'd shot-peen gts-t rods if you think you'll punish them, but in reality I have not heard of rod faliure at all on street cars, ever, just my paranoia.
I am 'only' after 500 flywheel power when I pull the engine (and as it has 3 broken exhaust studs and is blowing that time is drawing near), but I will set it up for big torque, hence bore size and strong rods....
Andy.

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
I wouldn't have though the step from 86.5 to 87 would make that much difference certainly not enough to change them without another reason.

GTR rods are heavier and more robust than the GTS rods, Nisfan is a good guy :) I got a spare inlet manifold from him for a bargain price.

Some of the research I did on rods suggested that shot peening dosen't actually do that much for the rods over a good balancing. On a budget I would think GTR rods are the way to go for a little more money you can pick up eagle H-beam rods from the USA, for more money again pauter, or carrilo.

for 400hp standard GTSt will be fine and a good deal lighter than the GTR ones - just get them magnafluxed and balanced.

Simon

·
Banned
907 Posts
your sig. "Doing it is not enough - it has to be done right."
Is enough reason for me, do it once, do it right.
I agree entirely with you, but my heart felt GTR rods for that price was right.
I just get a feeling about these things, I'm no expert, and I only gamble with my own limited money, mistakes are not acceptable.

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
Tell me about it - my budget has nearly doubled due to if I'm going to do it, then I may as well do it and that is without going for the parts I would *really* like....

I also misread your earlier post, I had thought you said you were replacing 86.5's with 87's not that they were in you previous car :) Makes much more sense now!

Simon

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
400hp is so easy with stock pistons and rods I wouldn't even bother changing them. Get good rings, a good head freshen up, stock head gasket, acl race series bearings and a good machine hone, keep everything clean and check your clearances and it will be more than up to 400hp (we've been to nearly twice that on old stock parts several times, reliably.) Good luck with your project.......Rob

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
ouch that doesn't look like it tickled the car I have to say! If you need a spare pair of mitts one wkend Richy and I'm free feel free to give us a shout - be good to see the work being done on the block :)

def gonna keep my eyes on this thread - should be good to see
ant

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
My old R33 GTSt cracked a piston just like that. I changed mine with the engine in situ..

·
Banned
907 Posts
were did you get the pistons in the usa ???? do you think i should go for 87mm ? can you not get gtst rods Strengthened so they are as good if not better than standard gtr rods ?
SORRY or not replying, but there was good reason.
Well at least I hope so....
The thing is it looks like I am going RB30det with a new bottom end and as far as I can see the rb25det 87mm wiseco's will have too low compression ratio, so if you want them for the price I paid 450.00gbp delivered then I will sell them, there are NEW and untouched in all packaging, so no 'second hand' coments please.
Also the GTR rods I have will not be of use to me either, they'll be 120,00gbp delivered.
I will when my RB30 is here put these in 'for sale' thread, but for now just for you.
I hope that explains everything.
Regards, Andy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got back of me hols yesterday so thought i would drop the rest of the pistons out, and found this on number two -

there were also another two starting to crack !!!!

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
Ouch.

well at least you know you HAVE to have a rebore now. 87mm pistons and GTR rods a good way to go for you HP goal.

Simon

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yer def going to go for 87mm pistons and possibly gtr rods, only thing now is money to but all me bits !!

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
A word of advice, don't look at to many websites, or read to much about rebuilds or you will end up doubling your budget like I have :) :D

still the end result should be worth it!!

Simon

1 - 20 of 25 Posts