GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wanted to know that how much hp can a standard RB 26 hold with stock connecting rods, stock pistons, stock crank with ACL bearings, changed oil pump [ plan to put a greddy ] with a T 78 ? is this combination gonan hold up to 450 bhp ?

Or the other option

Ross pistons, stock connecting rods, greddy oil pump, stock crank with ACL bearings, are they gonna hold up till 450 bhp on a T 78 ?

Need your replies.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
There have been a lot ofr threads like this with the common consensus that stock components can handle 550bhp with a good map.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
yea all day long.

I have an T04r on stock engine bar pistons, running 530 ATH. No problem's :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ madden

I need to know the details, bro i just recently blew my engine, now planning to buy a stock RB26 so i just wanted to if stock Crank , bearings, connecting rods and pistons can hold a T 78. i intend to drag.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Yea i do alot of drag racing mate. 2 years of abuse and all is good.

I have :

Weisco piston's
ARP conrod bolts
Stock oil pump
Stock rods
Stock crank
Stock intercooler
Stock fuel system bat 1000cc and intank pump

I would just watch out for mapping really mate.

450bhp isnt that much on a stock engine at all mate. Listerofsmeg ran 550bhp odd on a compelt un-opened engine. Only went wrong due to overheating issue's because of a crappy turbo water feed pipe.

It will be laggy as hell though mate. I have a t78 kit but with a HKS to4r stuck on it. Comes on sing around 5000 rpm + hahhaha.

Crap for getting off a line at the drag strip. I was launching off the limiter at 8250 and still bogging :chuckle:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Madden, so your say is that i have to change only the pistons and the rest of it will do ? as for the lag man , the RPM drops from 7400 to 4500 when i launch. ill have to deal with that too.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If you want to run 450 i would leave it alone mate.

You can't really tell what is going to happen with any engine mate. You either get lucky or you don't ;)

Deffo piston's and conrod studs if you open it up mate with a better head gasket :)

I have just gone to f-con pro with two step lauch control which should see me leave the line with 1 bar + boost :)

Done a 11.1 @ 133 mph so far but 60 ft was poor at 1.72 which i can't get below with out some kind of boost of the line. See what happens next year :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bro, good luck with your setup. I intend to make 500 bhp , 550cc injectors, greddy oil pump, stock Rods, stock pistons, stock crank. Bosch external pump. But willing to put 750 cc injectors in near future. And off course ill tune it myself no rolling road here bro.
Lets see how my experience goes with stock block.

·
Registered
794 Posts
after some reading up, stock rb26 with all right mods..fuelling, oiling and mapping especially can do around 600hp reliablyt

t78 is awsome turbo mate

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
What kind of fuel you get out there?

I was running 700cc sard's and i was making them out so i would go for the 700 straight away mate.

What ecu you running too?

·
Registered
867 Posts
yep, im going for 600 on standard internals, just uprated rod bolts and crank balanced by my mate at bracknell with crank pulley and flywheel!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@ Madden
Bro the best fuel we have here is 95 Octane, i am running Power FC D jetro. the crank is gone so i am struggling to choose from a stock RB 26 1995 crank or to go with the OEM crank [redesigned] from RHD Japan. The JUN one costs a fortune but it is full counter weight while HKS only makes stroker cranks and not the standard ones. Is there any other option ?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Standard RB 26 crank with ACL race bearings/ Nismo Bearings, stock connecting rods with after market rod bolts, greddy oil pump and external Fuel pump will do the goods ? and yeah i have an extended sump as well. I dont how the crank blew on .7 bar, was that because of oil starvation ? i used a standard oil pump.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A standard crank is fine for that power and much more especialy if its properly ballanced. The rods, alot of people seem to change when re-building (myself included) although you very rarely hear of them failing. In fact I have never spoken to someone first hand who had a rod fail. Standard rods will do 450 with no problem at all. I would say your main concern is your pistons. Although standard pistons will do 450, a T78 will do much more. The temptation will be there to run more boost and then the pistons are likely to fail. I have seen lots of cases of broken ringlands on standard pistons running big boost. Might be worth upgrading them so the engine doesnt have to come out again when you want more power again - because you know you will its like an addiction:D.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Standard RB 26 crank with ACL race bearings/ Nismo Bearings, stock connecting rods with after market rod bolts, greddy oil pump and external Fuel pump will do the goods ? and yeah i have an extended sump as well. I dont how the crank blew on .7 bar, was that because of oil starvation ? i used a standard oil pump.
When you say the crank blew do you mean it actually broke or did the big end bearings fail or the mains?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ 8ren

The crank didnt broke , the Big end and mains did.Grinding the crank was another option for me but that would make it more prone to breakage so i want to replace it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
@ 8ren

The crank didnt broke , the Big end and mains did.Grinding the crank was another option for me but that would make it more prone to breakage so i want to replace it.
you can only 'grind' a crank if it is forged or billet, i wouldnt recomend it tbh.

just get a new stock crank or if you are going for very high rpm then make sure its well balanced.

kev

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and yeah i want to take to 1.5 Bar that too on 95 Octane. I dont know how much would a T 78 give on 95 octane @ 1 , 1.2 , 1.5 Bars. The knock was there, the controller showed 113 at 7K but yeah that was not det it must have been from the after market Pistons and OS Giken triple plate. The crank blew because of oil starvation due to factory pump, i dont think so the knock caused the crank to fail , if so the pistons would have gone first. This time ill be much more careful.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@ bigkev

How would i be sure it is well balanced apart from putting it perfectly in place ? using a crank balancing pulley ? any other way?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts