GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. need your help.

i'm experiencing misfires on my gtr r32 (rb-26dett) at 6500 rpm and beyond. shortly after using the car the plugs are dead. when i replace the plugs with a new set all is ok again... but as the engine heats up, then the engine starts to misfire again then the plugs die again... the plugs only last 100kms at most then its dead again... what could be wrong with it?

my car runs on a mines ecu with an e-manage and a manual boost controller... could there be a problem with the e-manage map? are my plugs too cold? ngkr7... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... what could be causing the misfires?

·
Registered
372 Posts
hi it could be to much boost at high revs causing the misfire could try closing the gap on the spark plug a bit see if that helps. could be your coil packs are shafted could try replacing them. are the spark plugs turning really black after 100kms? if they are your cars running to rich

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a similar problem concerning the E-manage... I fitted one to an ER34, ran great but every so often it would blow a coil pack, the coil would overheat and melt the plastic housing, it would then stop working... Took a while to suss this out but I ended up putting a diode in the firing signal circuit for each cylinder, that did the job... I have since found out that Greddy do a diode pack to solder into the wiring loom for certain models

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok guys... thanks for the advice... i'll take the car to the shop and see whats wrong...

i changed the plugs last night and the it idled fine again... but the exhaust fumes wreaked of petrol smell... looks like it's really running rich even on idle.... need to check the O2 sensor too... i took out the catalytic and re-fitted the o2 sensor.... could the o2 sensor be shite as well as a result of the de-cat? thanks...

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can check to see if your O2 sensor is bad; there is an ECU diagnostic code for it. If it truly is the O2 sensor, it could be that it's just fouled and not actually going bad - I've had that happen before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here goes... took the gtr r32 to the shop... checked the O2 sensor... seems to be running fine...strapped it on the dyno...

1. ran it on the emanage. air/fuel at idle was ok.. did a pass...--- misfire at 6500
2. took out the e-manage and ran it on the mines box... still misfire at 6500...

so its not the O2 sensor or the e-manage...

1.could it be the box? since the emanage piggy backs on the mines box?...
2. could it be my wiring loom? (coilpack loom looks brittle and connectors are cracking but seems to be still working as it idles fine and if you drive it below 6500rpm it runs ok)... could this old wiring be the culprit?

i'm going to order a new coilpack loom and see if this is the problem... any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
coilpack harness ordered and delivered... great help from Daryl at tunerlab.jp

thanks daryl...

update: this is what we found out aside from the the coil pack loom that was toasted :

the turbo manifold had a leak... downpipes weren't tightened....changed the gasket and sealed the leaks on the exhaust side... result big increase in HP and boost... :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
wow! that's ridiculous! The ignition problems were probably a blessing in disguise, since they help you find all those other problems.

coilpack harness ordered and delivered... great help from Daryl at tunerlab.jp

thanks daryl...

update: this is what we found out aside from the the coil pack loom that was toasted :

the turbo manifold had a leak... downpipes weren't tightened....changed the gasket and sealed the leaks on the exhaust side... result big increase in HP and boost... :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally fixed my R32!!!

here's what happened: my car was running on a mine's ecu with an e-manage piggy back... there were no errors so we had to trace the misfire. first we took out the turbos and found leaks in the front turbo due to loose bolts. the rear turbo had a gasket leak. so we fixed that.... then we took out the intake and cleaned all the parts injectors fuel line and replaced the fuel pump and and reinstalled it... after that the misfire was still occurring...
we found out that the mine's ecu doesn't really register on the nissan consult...we took out the e-manage as it may be interfering with the consult read-out... after taking out the e-manage, the misfire was still there... so we decided take out the mine's ecu and used a stock rb26dett ecu... finally the consult worked... and showed us an error 21 (ignition signal error)... we then traced the wiring of the power transistor to the ecu and found a loose connection... re-wired the power transistor and ran it again with the stock ecu... hoooray!!! no more error code 21!!! car is fixed .... !!! now i will run it for a couple of months then re-install a programmable ecu again. I'm running 304whp on the stock ecu @0.85bar boost( is this ok?).. no more e-manage... maybe a Nistune would be a better option...

thanks guys for all the help... thanks Daryl @ tunerlab.jp for the parts and great service...

Any thoughts on the NISTUNE? you guys think this is a good ecu system?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Finally fixed my R32!!!

here's what happened: my car was running on a mine's ecu with an e-manage piggy back... there were no errors so we had to trace the misfire. first we took out the turbos and found leaks in the front turbo due to loose bolts. the rear turbo had a gasket leak. so we fixed that.... then we took out the intake and cleaned all the parts injectors fuel line and replaced the fuel pump and and reinstalled it... after that the misfire was still occurring...
we found out that the mine's ecu doesn't really register on the nissan consult...we took out the e-manage as it may be interfering with the consult read-out... after taking out the e-manage, the misfire was still there... so we decided take out the mine's ecu and used a stock rb26dett ecu... finally the consult worked... and showed us an error 21 (ignition signal error)... we then traced the wiring of the power transistor to the ecu and found a loose connection... re-wired the power transistor and ran it again with the stock ecu... hoooray!!! no more error code 21!!! car is fixed .... !!! now i will run it for a couple of months then re-install a programmable ecu again. I'm running 304whp on the stock ecu @0.85bar boost( is this ok?).. no more e-manage... maybe a Nistune would be a better option...

thanks guys for all the help... thanks Daryl @ tunerlab.jp for the parts and great service...

Any thoughts on the NISTUNE? you guys think this is a good ecu system?

Wow, I had almost the same problem on my Z before. Funny I didn't think to suggest checking the PTU...

Nistune is a great setup. I know of a lot of guys using them on RB25 Skylines, SR20s, VG30s - working out fantastically. I don't know anybody personally that's using it for a GT-R, but I've heard good things. (theoretically, if it works good on the other ECUs from around the same time, it should work great on the RB26)

You can do a lot of research on the Nistune.com forums about how it works with different setups. Some really knowledgeable guys on those boards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I had almost the same problem on my Z before. Funny I didn't think to suggest checking the PTU...

Nistune is a great setup. I know of a lot of guys using them on RB25 Skylines, SR20s, VG30s - working out fantastically. I don't know anybody personally that's using it for a GT-R, but I've heard good things. (theoretically, if it works good on the other ECUs from around the same time, it should work great on the RB26)

You can do a lot of research on the Nistune.com forums about how it works with different setups. Some really knowledgeable guys on those boards.
ok will do some research... thanks for the heads-up :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts