GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do an upgrade to the head on my RB20DET. I know that the RB25DET bolts on, but I was wondering if the RB26DETT head would bolt on as well?

I haven't posted anything for a while... so I'll catch you all up on what I am doing. I have a 1989 S13 and I am in the middle of carring out an RB20DET swap (thanks to the help of www.japanesemotorsport.com.au).

If someone can enlighten me on what else is transferable, or point me to a site that has the information, (and what is different besides crank, rods, pistons, bore) between an RB20DET and a RB26DET I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much for your time and effort!

Sig

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hi mate. I have an S13 with RB25DET.

Im pretty sure the heads swap over, although how much work is involved is another question.
The other things to think about are:
fuelling (you'll need either a set of S13 200sx 370cc's, or a chip/ECU to suit the 444cc injectors)

For the swap of the engines you will need:
Front half of propshaft customised
Custom Gearbox mounts
Customised (bent) anti roll bar
Custom uprated radiator (for YOUR heat/climate)
ECU and loom from what ever car/engine(s) you use. Seeing as you are swapping engines and heads, I would opt for Stand alone ECU.
Custom down pipe (this would be required to cater for twin turbos anyway)

Im not sure if there is enough room in a right hand drive for the twin turbo set-up with the ABS pump there. With left hand drive, you will have the problem of the steering column. In the states I think they also drop the Toyota Supra 2JZ into the S13/S14's cos the turbos are on the other side and you dont have the steering in the way!

Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
G-sport said:
rb25/26 head will not fit on to rb20 block.....
G.
So what are my options with the head? I have heard that the RB20DET head does not flow nearly as well as the 25 or 26. Are the RB25/26 heads interchangeable?

Thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
The rb20 head does not flow as well as the rb25/26 which are interchangeable with some attention.. but the rb20 head does not have the lungs of the larger engine so there is little point in having a excessive flow capacity. Bear in mind in Japan rb23/24 (bored and stroked rb20's) can make over 400hp on rb20 heads with work..the rb20 with stock capacity can make 400hp with good tuning.
Garth.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard about the RB23DET... and it sounds like the path I will eventually take. Do you know off hand what parts are interchangeable between these three RB motors? Also, do you know if it is possible to increase the flow patterns of the RB20 head (what aftermarket is offered and does it take well to porting/ honing)? Thank you very much for your help... I have been looking all over for this information and have found a fair amount, but Skyline owners have always been the best source!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
174 Posts
have you already bought the motor?
I have some here in Seattle.

Let me know, I might be able to help you.

Cheers,
Robb

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I have not bought the motor yet. I am looking at www.venus-auto.com and their motors. They are selling the 89-94 RB20DET GTS-T front clip for 1000+ shipping. If you could help me out with a motor that would be terrific! Thank you very much for your help!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I looked at there site today. I can not touch that price becouse I am selling the whole front clip. I think they are only selling the Motor, tranny and ecu.

I am selling mine for $2,500 for the whole clip minus sheet metal.

I have video of mine running if I could just figure out how to get it onto the computer. O'well

Let me know if there is anything elts I can do to help.
Take care,
Robb

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much, and I will let you know if there is anything I need.

Thanks again,
Sig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts