GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new to the site, I'm just about to source the parts to put a rb25det into my s13 now I know the difference between the spec 1 and spec 2 engines but my question is is there alot performance wise between them?

Also are they both as tuneable as each other or is one easier to tune and get hold of parts for?

Any help would be great thanks Paul

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
In general I have found that the whole range is very well supported with aftermarket parts and you should have no probs with an RB25, 26 or 30 if it takes your fancy.

I found parts for my RB25 reasonably easy to get, Just had a few words with some people on here about the best places to get bits and did some searching around of my own.

Once you begin to tune then any performance differences from stock will be more or less redundant. There may be cases where one engine needs part XYZ upgrading from stock before another engine but if your going the whole hog then it wont really matter much.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is only a few minor differences between the spec 1 and 2 rb25.
Both are the same internally and perform the same. Same tuning mods will fit and work the same on either. Just make sure you get the correct wiring loom for the spec of engine you are using.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Both are much of a muchness, the S1 has a an external ignitor setup while the S2 has ignitors integrated into the coils, the S2 has a better oil pump drive allowing it to be a bit more tolerant of high rpm etc. Just little things like that, that I can think of off hand.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've got a spec 1 in my S13, but if I did it again I'd probably try to get hold of a spec 2 engine for the long nosed crank (which is what Lith is referring to with the better oil pump drive). Having said that, I expect the S1 will be fine unless you plan on going for big power.

I think the other subtle differences have been pretty well covered, although I seem to recall being told that some standard S2 turbos have two ceramic wheels rather than just the turbine wheel as on the S1. Not that it really makes much difference since they will both have a tendancy to shatter if the boost is wound up too high...

Edit - sorry, just re-read your original post and saw that you say you already know what the differences are, so there was no need for me to tell you again! Oh well, it might be useful for someone else...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Lol that's ok I knew about the different igniter coil, s2 has different cams like you said turbos a little different and ecu is slighty differently mapped, the aim is to find a good engine then new oil and water pump new cambelt kit maybe new shells, thicker headgasket, up rated turbo and injectors nistune ecu then aim for around 400hp

Just wanted to know if both engine are the same really and easy to get hold of parts for

Also what would be the best HG to use and what thickness? And what turbo for upto 450hp

Cheers Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts