GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know if this is posted in the right place but here goes-
Can any tell/show me what the torque settings/tightening sequence is for the cylinder head as im gonna get a replacement head and have a go?

Also what is the correct timing and is it worth replacing the head bolts?
Daz

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here you go:

Thanks fella really helpful that just a quicky tho-what does T.D.C position mean for cylinder 1 (what does it look like) also dont suppose you know the correct timing position as im gonna change the timing belt?
Thanks again
Daz
P.S is it worth replacing the head bolts as the car may have overheated in the past altho its fine now?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
If it has overheated you need to get the head casting hardness tested, and checked for flatness along the cam bearing journals. If it's been warped and just trued up on the head face it isn't good enough. To be honest, if it's been got hot enough to warp the head is a scrapper, given the cost of a good one. Also check the block face hasn't warped. You can get hand held hardness testers to check the head, I use one of these:

http://www.barcol-impressor.com/

If the head's gone soft it'll give trouble (loose valve seats, head gasket sinkage, poor torque containment on the head bolts et cetera).

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The head is going in the bin as its got a suspected crack in it so i was gonna get a used but in good condition head and port and polish it for street use,get tomei type b poncams or hks step 1 with pulleys, would you recommend anything else done head wise for fast responsive 450bhp?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I would buy a new or definitely known good used casting, put new valves and springs in it, and leave it at that. The ports aren't bad as stock, and decent port work is pretty costly these days. Keep the compression up, cams will be dictated by turbos and vice versa. What turbos are going on it? The rest is in the assembly and the mapping.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I would buy a new or definitely known good used casting, put new valves and springs in it, and leave it at that. The ports aren't bad as stock, and decent port work is pretty costly these days. Keep the compression up, cams will be dictated by turbos and vice versa. What turbos are going on it? The rest is in the assembly and the mapping.
I was planning on the garrett equivelant of HKS GTSS turbos or similar maybe a holset twin setup...
Which cams would be better for these to get maximum torque/bhp with minimal lag, plan is approx 450-500bhp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.