GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just wanted some opinions about rebuilding my head. I took my car to a shop to get tuned. He noticed I need new valve guides and seals. He is asking about $4300 just install new guides and seals, plus new gaskets all around. To me this price seems pretty high. What's a fair price in the UK? I know labor cost here in Japan are high but I didn't think they were that high.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I had a stock head rebuild
Skimmed
Valve guides replaced
Valve stem oil seals
Fully shimmed all cams refitted

£190 all in although I removed the head

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a stock head rebuild
Skimmed
Valve guides replaced
Valve stem oil seals
Fully shimmed all cams refitted

£190 all in although I removed the head

All that you have listed above is going to cost about $1000. Just for the rebuild. I'll be removing, cleaning and re-installing the head. I can't figure out why he wants so much.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I was expecting about £300 but this guy does it for cash plus he's old skool too I mean if you walked in to his yard you would think wtf??? there's just old machinery, engine blocks everywhere
Old-skool all the way, means he probably knows what he's doing and takes his time to do it properly :thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
a new bare head assembly from Nissan is around 1200 usd, a complete head around 2000 usd that's already shimmed correctly from factory etc. fitting and removal cant be more then 400 bucks id say?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Head Rebuilt

Hmm Price you qouted seems a bit high, I had my head decked, bronze valve guides fitted, new seats cut, new Valves, Intake side quench pad removed, using TOMEI Type B springs. Work Done by NAPREC. 240,000 JPY. This was done November 2013

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm Price you qouted seems a bit high, I had my head decked, bronze valve guides fitted, new seats cut, new Valves, Intake side quench pad removed, using TOMEI Type B springs. Work Done by NAPREC. 240,000 JPY. This was done November 2013
Hey Thomas,
I thought it was way to much. I'm having SEED racing in Chiba working on it now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts