GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey People.

I was wondering to know, what benefits and power/torque limits can I go if I ask to hybrid my stock twin turbos on my stock RB26 block?

The reason it's to stay as stock appearance as possible :D

Thanks and greetings from Switzerland.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Hey People.

I was wondering to know, what benefits and power/torque limits can I go if I ask to hybrid my stock twin turbos on my stock RB26 block?

Google RB26 GT2860-5

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,181 Posts
Hey People.

Have a kook at a threads like CT17s. Richard I believe used to run some some nice units in the oem location. I think on the SAU forum you'll find power curves from people running the GTX versions too.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Indeed. or GT-SS.

Don't see much point in sticking rigidly to stock config when all these fit no problem with proven results, but happy to be corrected!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Indeed. or GT-SS.

Don't see much point in sticking rigidly to stock config when all these fit no problem with proven results, but happy to be corrected!
Those turbos are much bigger than stock ones?

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,181 Posts
Those turbos are much bigger than stock ones?

How close to the originals do you need them to be?

The HKS turbos have 'HKS' cast into them which is a bit of a giveaway. Of course if someone is just looking at the engine bay at the roadside they are unlikely to notice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It depends what "hybrid" means in your question if this means new bolt in turbos all the above option are correct. If you mean what spec can you rebuild your current turbo's to its going to be much more limited.
It all depends on the price.
How much cost to rebuild the 2 stock turbos?
Stock hybrid are reliable?
Pros and cons in comparison with 2860?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Turbo Technics quoted me £600 per turbo for a full recondition.

This included the:

- T28 conversion (to run more boost with zero concern)
- 360 deg thrust bearing
- twin competition seal kit
- new roller bearings (they didn't see it cost effective to switch to BB)
- new adjustable actuators
- steel turbine
- all used parts are replaced

Reason I enquired was my 32 is all stock, albeit for a few Nismo parts. So I wanted to retain the stock factor but with a slight increase in power - thought going hybrid on the oe turbos would be a good way forward.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Turbo Technics quoted me £600 per turbo for a full recondition.

This included the:

- T28 conversion (to run more boost with zero concern)
- 360 deg thrust bearing
- twin competition seal kit
- new roller bearings (they didn't see it cost effective to switch to BB)
- new adjustable actuators
- steel turbine
- all used parts are replaced
Hi guys, I'm very new to the scene and very new to this forum... I'll post a hello thread/post soon, but in the meantime I'm very curious as to whether anybody has gone with the Turbo Technics hybrid conversion/refurbishment, and if you have, what kind of power one could expect with these turbos...

They seem like a good economic option...

I've just bought an R33 GTR V-Spec, standard ECU, aftermarket exhaust but still with cat, so I'm guessing that she's running around 310 BHP? I've no idea as I'm very new to the GTR scene...

Waiting to finish building my garage before I pick the car up, but definitely would like more power, probably 600 BHP, but in the meantime I'm happy to go with an Apexi ECU, decat, downpipe, HKS silent power exhaust and hopefully get around 450 BHP for the first year or so.

Anyhow, Hi and thanks for any replies.

Cheers

Vince (Kent, UK)

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
no point in changing the turbos twice or rebuilding yours only to change them later

If you do want 600 then 2860-5s are the best proven option to run that power without going silly on the boost level. But you will need more than just the turbos

The smaller garrett turbos or hybrid conversion wont run that 500/550 maybe but not 600.

If you want to be looking close to stock they will do that also.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hi guys, I'm very new to the scene and very new to this forum... I'll post a hello thread/post soon, but in the meantime I'm very curious as to whether anybody has gone with the Turbo Technics hybrid conversion/refurbishment, and if you have, what kind of power one could expect with these turbos...

They seem like a good economic option...

I've just bought an R33 GTR V-Spec, standard ECU, aftermarket exhaust but still with cat, so I'm guessing that she's running around 310 BHP? I've no idea as I'm very new to the GTR scene...

Waiting to finish building my garage before I pick the car up, but definitely would like more power, probably 600 BHP, but in the meantime I'm happy to go with an Apexi ECU, decat, downpipe, HKS silent power exhaust and hopefully get around 450 BHP for the first year or so.

Anyhow, Hi and thanks for any replies.

Cheers

Vince (Kent, UK)
Vince if you're looking at the 600 mark you're better off with just investing with the 2860s.

The only reason I enquired of converting my OEs to hybrid was because I didn't want to go over 450. Yes 2860s would are still a great choice at 450 but I personally just want to retain some stock factor to the car.

I think power figures above 500 would be best achieved with a solid upgrade to 2860s.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Vince if you're looking at the 600 mark you're better off with just investing with the 2860s.

The only reason I enquired of converting my OEs to hybrid was because I didn't want to go over 450. Yes 2860s would are still a great choice at 450 but I personally just want to retain some stock factor to the car.

I think power figures above 500 would be best achieved with a solid upgrade to 2860s.
Thanks for the advice jnoor...

I want to keep the costs down initially, so was thinking of the Turbo Technics hybrids, which are good to 500+ each turbo, so they'll be plenty. I emailed them today and they told me that the spool time on the hybrid would be the same or a little more than the OEM M24's, however as there's still a cat and stock I/C on the car, once they're replaced it should speed the spool time up.

What can the stock turbo's, fuel pump, injectors, inter cooler handle? It may be best for me to just go with the Apexi FC, decat, downpipe HKS system and remap to begin with, but I've no idea what that would take me to.

I could then go with cams & larger turbo's pulleys etc for the stage 2 to hit the 500 mark, if needs be.

Sorry for the questions, I know that there's a sh1t tonne of information on this forum, it's just trying to find it all and remember it...

Thanks again,

Vince

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,181 Posts
Thanks for the advice jnoor...

I want to keep the costs down initially, so was thinking of the Turbo Technics hybrids, which are good to 500+ each turbo, so they'll be plenty. I emailed them today and they told me that the spool time on the hybrid would be the same or a little more than the OEM M24's, however as there's still a cat and stock I/C on the car, once they're replaced it should speed the spool time up.

What can the stock turbo's, fuel pump, injectors, inter cooler handle? It may be best for me to just go with the Apexi FC, decat, downpipe HKS system and remap to begin with, but I've no idea what that would take me to.

I could then go with cams & larger turbo's pulleys etc for the stage 2 to hit the 500 mark, if needs be.

Sorry for the questions, I know that there's a sh1t tonne of information on this forum, it's just trying to find it all and remember it...

Thanks again,

Vince
Have a look at Nistune. Better than powerfc IMHO.

Limit will be stock injectors. You might see a bit more than 400bhp with them.

If you are paying £600 each to get turbos rebuilt I think you are mad. They are old technology. Brand new -7s should be £700 each they are much newer technology than the hybrid t28s.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts