GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put an RB26DETT in a GTS25 (RB25DE)? Found the engine.. and was wondering if you could. and how hard?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Yes it's possible. There are a few on here that have that modification done. You'll need a GTR wiring loom I believe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
my mate james hudson has done it hes one of the autoglym drifters, he has an r32 gts and has dorpped the 26 lump in it but has kept the rwd.... its mad....i dont think it was all that much hassle providing you know your way round an engine and the electircs such as looms etc?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, the 25DE cars have a much lighter duty gearbox than 25DET cars, and a limited slip diff would be nice too.

I believe LSD was an extra cost option on the base model GTS, and very few cars have them. Wheels are four stud on the GTS which makes it slightly more difficult and expensive to do a decent brake upgrade, because you need hubs and five new wheels as well as discs and callipers.

Much better to start off with a GTS-T. You get the big gearbox (same as GTR but without the transfer case), LSD, and larger brakes plus five stud wheels standard.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The DE box is a lighter duty version, but will still handle what a stock RB26 can throw at it. When it fails, a DET box is cheap enough to drop in.

The stock viscous LSD's are crap anyway, and should be replaced, so no difference there. Even better, is the DE/E engined cars have the S15 drive flange pattern (3x2), which means you can easily put the S15 helical LSD into it. This is a fantastic LSD for circuit/road use. Much better than most aftermarket diffs.

The five stud conversion is really cheap to do, just need the parts from a scrapped GTS-t. Obviously the wheels/brkaes would need to be changed at the same time. And you save money not having to De-Hicas the car.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you everyone with your help.. i found an RB26DETT for about $1,300 on Yahoo auction and then i am considering to buy it and swap it out with my 25DE. thank you very much, and i'll keep it posted. thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i am running an rb26dett in my r32 gts. ive got a 1988 r31 skyline box on it atm, and it handles 400hp at the rears fine. these boxes are relativley cheap and readily availible in aus, about $500 so if i ever do a box, its only a small cost to replace it. instead of $1500+ for the big box.

just a thought

1 - 12 of 12 Posts