GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came back today in the car and i always have a quick look under the bonnet just to make sure all is ok.
Anyway i could see some steam from the left rear corner of the block coming from under the inlet manifold.
I jacked the car up and i could just see one of the hoses under the inlet manifold was leaking
I've taken most of the inlet nuts off tonight but gave up with the lack off light..... just got the underside rear 3 nuts to take off tomorrow, have i got anything to look out for with them or whilst the inlet is off?
Has anyone seen a 'How to' in regards to removal of the inlet manifold?
Cheers

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
been covered plenty of times, do a search and you'll find loads of info on the subject.
Bugger of a job to do, but if I was you, (and it's what I did, replace as much pipework as you can afford to replace under there whilst its off!) Also might be worth looking into a filter relocation kit too, it will save you allot of grief in the future!
;)
bob

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers Bob :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info...just got to th IAC valve bit :(
I,m going to re-paint the inlet manifold so going to take my time with it.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Just one thing be careful if the small dowels fall out of the plenum, (the small metal spacers around the bolts) As they seem to be different sizes and id imagine getting them in the wrong place could spell disaster! (leaking plenum!).
Defo take your time and shout if you need any help!
;)
bob

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Manifold off ....wasnt that bad actually, although putting it back on looks like it may be fun :bawling:
All gaskets are knackered so will have to replace them all.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the leaking pipe, also found another 3 pipes with small cuts in!
The inlet manifold has now been stripped and painted with 5 coats of basecoat 6 coats of clear top coat.
The timing belt cover & rocker covers are all the same colour now (Brembo gold)

·
Vendor
12,681 Posts
Hi Steve

Looks the biz, let me know if you want that steel gasket set as i now only have one set left.

DaveW

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just finished putting my plenum back on last night, so here's a couple of tips:

Like someone else said, replace all the hoses while you have the plenum off to avoid having to do it all over again when the next one blows. I replaced 12 different coolant/air hoses under the plenum plus 2 heater hoses running across to the passenger side.

I also replaced the plastic joiner that connects the top heater hoses together - they can become brittle and fall to bits, causing yet another coolant leak.

Getting the 6 sets of washers and nuts onto the bottom manifold studs under the plenum is not fun. I found 6 spare 12mm bolts and screwed each of the nuts about 10mm down the bolt, then slid on the spring washer using a couple of drops of nail polish to temporarily bond them together, then more nail polish to bond the spring washer to the larger washer. Sat them aside on the bench until the nail polish dried then carefully unscrewed the whole nut/washer assemblies. Then put the nut into a magnetised 1/4" drive 12mm socket and wobble bar extension and very carefully guided them onto the studs under the manifold. Worked like a charm!

·
Registered
12 Posts
A small dollop of grease is also good for holding small parts where you need them sometimes, before tightening up ;)
True, but under the RB26 plenum is a small bermuda triangle just waiting to eat up anything you might drop, never to be seen again :D

Having dropped something down there once before I was tempted to use super glue, but the nail polish seemed a reasonable compromise.

Oh, and just to clarify - it wasn't my nail polish ok?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I,m just wondering would it be possible to use lock nuts on the maniold.....not the type with the nylon inserts obviously but the type with a wide flange so as to do away with the 2 washers?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I,m just wondering would it be possible to use lock nuts on the maniold.....not the type with the nylon inserts obviously but the type with a wide flange so as to do away with the 2 washers?
Not sure how they'd go. I have used something called "Prevailing Torque Lock Nuts" to hold the manifolds and turbo on my Toyota 4x4 diesel and they haven't budged at all, where normal nuts and lock washers would usually come loose.

They kind of start off round at the base and become more of an oval shape towards the top of the nut which squeezes the stud, if that makes sense. Still needed to use washers with those, but maybe you can get them flanged?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Found the leaking pipe, also found another 3 pipes with small cuts in!
The inlet manifold has now been stripped and painted with 5 coats of basecoat 6 coats of clear top coat.
The timing belt cover & rocker covers are all the same colour now (Brembo gold)

Looks great!!! What paint did you use? And how did you get the Brembo gold paint code buddy?
:thumbsup:
bob

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Bob,
The paint is 2pk and the colour code is Honda inca gold Y-61P
I repainted all my brembo's with it and its spot on

1 - 15 of 15 Posts