GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RB26 Inlet plenum removal,
After looking around various forums for a 'How to' on the removal of the RB26 plenum i thought i would do one ...hope this helps you out....Maybe Mr Mod will make this a 'Sticky'

Firstly dont be daunted by the job as its not that bad....
Bag all your bits/nut etc and if you think you wont remember where something went take pics!

A couple of tools i found invaluable:
A small socket set with both deep and short sockets, wobble extension, long & short extensions, Long nose pliars and a long piece of welding rod for the nuts and washers you WILL drop!
Please feel free to voice your opinion and help others.

1: Remove the throttle cable, mechanism & all pipe work/ connectors you can see connected to the top of the plenum.

2: Cable tie the throttle arms out of the way.

3: Remove the front intercooler pipe from the front of the plenum, remove the fuel filter bracket.

4: remove the fuel lines......NO SMOKING as the feed pipe will be under pressure and some fuel will leak!
The steel fuel pipe/bracket is held to the underside of the plenum with 3 x 10mm bolts.

5: Next remove the 4 x 10mm bolts from the IAC valve and the 4 rubber pipes to the left of it......this can be fun as the clips will be the wrong way around to grab hold with pliars...There is also an electrical connector attached to the IAC.

6: Next remove the 3 x 12mm bolts that fasten vertically to the underside of the plenum, the 1st pic shows bolt number 1 number 2 is opposite on the other side and 3 is rear right as the later pic shows.
you cant take bolt number 1 out without removing the oil filter...however you dont need to take it fully out to remove the plenum!

7: Next remove the 5x 10mm bolts that hold the Y pipe on the underside of the plenum.......Its a bit fiddley but i,ve shown you a before and after pic so you can see where its attached.

8: Remove this Bracket/pipe attached to the bulkhead

9: You should now be at the point to remove the 12 x 12mm plenum nuts/washers

The top 6x and bottom 3 nuts are easy.
If your plenum is painted or polished use something under the socket to protect...this obviously applies on refitting.

The 4th nut along the bottom needs short socket extension, wobble bar and short socket.....you also need to go between the pipes to access the nut

The last bottom nut (next to the bulkhead) needs short extension and short socket.

10: After all nuts are off slide the plenum off....you may need to tap it to break the seal.

Be very carefull of the steel collers as they can drop into oblivion!!!

The throttle bodies will just slide off also....if this is the 1st time they have been off the gaskets will be knackered so replace with new and ideally uprated steel ones.

Whilst the throttle bodies are off its fine to clean them externally but DO NOT clean the inner butterfly or port as it will not seal properly and you will end up with poor idling!

After you have removed the plenum replace as many water pipes as you can!
If nothing else replace these 4!
I thought they looked ok and left it....a week later the plenum had to come off again to replace them due to a leak....dont skimp on time do it right the first time (i wish i had)

And that it....i really cant stress how important it is to replace those water pipes.

Top tip for refitting get 12x 12mm bolts and nuts/washers and superglue them together and they will go on all in one...easy lol

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Good on you for going to the trouble to post up a guide. Ive done it different by removing less but thats a good write up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
So good i think you might find people taking their plenums off just for fun now!
:D
nice one buddy, about time someone did this!
:)
bob

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have to say that i got more help from Bob/fourtoes than anyone else.
Information is free but it seems hard to gain on some forums!
Thanks Bob ...love your rebuild thread....Virtual shaking of hand mate :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Delighted to be able to help in some way buddy!
:thumbsup:
Cheers for the comments, and btw your engine looks superb in gold!!!
Great work mate.
;)
bob

·
Registered
469 Posts
Great write up mate.
It has to be said though its an absolute pig of a job.
I've done it 3 times and i really hate it.Scraped hands and knuckles and magnets are the order of the day.:chuckle::chuckle:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Yep, well done.
Its a pig of a job on an stock car, like taking the rear hairdryer off.

I dont run the factory oilfilter stuff or the factory idle control, so I can just reach everything with a 12mm ring spanner, takes 5 minutes to get mine off.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yep, well done.

I dont run the factory oilfilter stuff or the factory idle control, so I can just reach everything with a 12mm ring spanner, takes 5 minutes to get mine off.
Show off.:chuckle::bowdown1:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Yep, well done.

I see a few engines being built that don't run all the AAC Valve rubbish...Next time I have the motor out (Prob to build the RB30) I will take it off.

....Will the Power FC (Std with AFM's) run OK without the idle controls?

·
Registered
129 Posts
done this myself and could only get crappy pictures.

yours are excellent and also the instructions are on the spot. should be stickied.

R34 is only a little different in detail, so these instructions will work for it as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
nice one carswaps.
i have done mine several times. and that is a good step by step removal.
i do some bits different to you but its 90% the same.
and its best to have a patient head on when you do decide to remove or spanners will end up flying. lolololo

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks very much for the write up! I'm in the process of removing mine and this is helping me a lot. Any chance the pics could be re uploaded? Thread isn't TOO old.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
wheres all the pictures gone!!!!
Been looking for a thread like this for ages.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts