GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody

I am in the process of fitting a Nismo Long Runner Intake Plenum to my R34 GT-R (writeup coming soon), and here´s what I found (see pic, black marks on the intake flange upper left).

I have read about this in another, older thread, before, but of course I didn´t think I might be affected.

Fact is, the gaskets between the intake and manifold and the throttle bodies and the ones between the throttle bodies and the plenum (all the same, BTW) get brittle and start failing. Depending on the extent of leakage, symptoms may vary from not having any effect at all to having the affected cylinder(s) run rich.

Nismo has some high quality gaskets (find them on RHDJapan´s website) with a special coating which may seal better and last longer, but interestingly they do not include them in the kit (standard gaskets are supplied, though)...

Only chance to check is to perform a boost leak test which requires some dismantling and fabricating a fitting to pressurize the intake system from the turbos on.

Changing the gaskets, however, is serious PITA, let go changing the plenum...

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Is the motor still in the car? If it is then the last 4 studs will have to come out to get enough room to get the Nismo in.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Easiest way to find intake leaks is by squirting brake cleaner on around suspected areas. It's common on RB26's though - and often causes eratic idle problems.
We stock metal intake and exhaust gasket kits which will banish such problems for good. Contact Matty32 for more details.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
piggaz-
the intake is already in, figured the stud removal trick out myself, however, what a chore...

miguel-
thanks, its allready in with the stock gaskets.
the brake cleaner trick will only work for larger leaks, small leaks will not reveal themselves. boost leak test should be safer, but also: what a chore...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
piggaz, did you notice any changes after you had yours in and did you do a remap?
thnks
peter

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Very hard to tell man. Alot of stuff when i changed it. Boost controller, fuel changed (from 100 ron to 98) exhuast position of cams changed ALOT. Cant tell you to be honest... but it was a downright **% to get on!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts