GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noob to this subject, so can anyone briefly run me through the options of increased cubic capacity RB26 engines?

I've heard of a 2.8, assume that's just block work producing mainly more torque and spooling equivalent turbos a little quicker?

Heard of a 3.0 but no clue on that...

Any others?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
I'm a noob to this subject, so can anyone briefly run me through the options of increased cubic capacity RB26 engines?

I've heard of a 2.8, assume that's just block work producing mainly more torque and spooling equivalent turbos a little quicker?

Heard of a 3.0 but no clue on that...

Any others?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
I'd delete the bit about 3 litre RB's if I were you as there have been so many Holden RB30 vs OS RB30 threads, and arguments, it's unbelievable.

Fed up with 2.6 litres already?:chuckle:

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd delete the bit about 3 litre RB's if I were you as there have been so many Holden RB30 vs OS RB30 threads, and arguments, it's unbelievable.

Fed up with 2.6 litres already?:chuckle:
No, happy with my 2.6 thanks.

Was considering something a little more track focused.
Got to be an R32 though.

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
Off the top of my head, MGT and RB Motorsports both do 2.8 builds. If you speak to Goghat (got a mint R33) he'll tell you about his 2.8 that RB built. I think it makes about 690bhp.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
2.8s are nice, power wise, you can get a bit more, but really the extra bit of torque you get is worth it vs the top end. The extra displacement means you can spin up slightly larger turbos a bit better.

Worth the upgrade personally. That with a solid built head and either a good responsive single turbo or stay with twins, and you have a nice track setup.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Most common is a stroker kit to give you 2.8

You can go 3.0 too, you can go either Nissan RB30 route or the OS Giken route (uses a spacer plate on an N1 block)

I think there's also 3.1 and 3.2 stroker kits available for the RB30 but not many about as far as I know

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Unless you are planning to start from the beginning, and will be tackling a lot of work, fitting a RB30 is not going to be the quickest way go nor the most track friendly, if you plan on seeing track a lot, make sure all your choices are easy to re-source, because things will fail, and the last thing you want is having to wait for weeks or months for replacements.

Just something else to keep in mind.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Goghots car is basically the same spec as mine but with smaller turbos, he has -5s while I have 10s. I reckon his set up is perfect for maximum response and power which would be great on a track.
Calibrat has a 3.2 almost finished
Lots of companies offer the kits like tomei, hks, nitto

Plus tuners and engine builders like rb motorsports who built mine, RIPZ in Australia

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Rain is on the money here. The holden RB30 has a great reputation but is generally supplied by RIPS in NZ. I know rockabilly on here had one too so might be worth having a few comms with.

I seem to recall the alternative is the OS giken 3.0 kit which the purists always pushed but is/was serious Wonga.

The stroker kits will give you 2.8 litre. Never heard anything bad about them. Not sure of costs nowadays.

What turbos are you running on your motor at the moment? And what are you thinking you might like to do (that is making you think about a little more capacity?)

Edit: just noticed a few new posts above, one about the gearbox. Pushing over 600/700hp is likely to give you gearbox woes so potentially additional expense to consider. I always remember as I was getting into GT-R's people saying that 500hp was a great point as the car came really alive. The ones running major power seemed to run into one problem or another. Not sure if the tuning scene or choice of tuners / knowledge of the RD26 has changed in recent years but certainly something to consider as if you start facing reliability issues, you will start to think significantly less of your R32.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've now got rockabilly's RB30 machine and it's stunning. But, do remember that the RB30 block lacks some of the bracing from RB26. This does stop it from revving as high. Makes the RB30 a great street engine with the extra torque, but maybe not a track one if high revs are required.

I know RIPS can do an RB30 with all the extra bracing which allows serious revs, but requires serious money too.

Definitely have a word with rockabilly as the engine he built has not put a foot wrong and pulls very hard. Also, revs/spools quickly too.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Having had a 2.6 and now a 2.8, I can thoroughly recommend a friggin strong gearbox
:bowdown1:

I dont know about the other people here but, depending on your budget id say sell your 5 speed for whatever you can get, and get a 34 6 speed kitted to fit the 32, its not the cheapest, but its by far going to be the most reliable and cost effective. Id personally shy away from putting OSG gears in the 5 speed.

You could go all out and look at going sequential too...:cool: but then, you are falling in to a deep hole lol

Just my 2¢

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Ive had mixed reviews of their boxes, and know of 2 or maybe 3 boxes that are in constant states of repair. I dont know if its just lack of QC or what, but thats my take on it, for the money, id go for something thats going to have the least chance of pissing me off lol.

Also had one that was going to go in to my 34, but a few people i trust told me to avoid it if i had the choice, was offered a Quaife box so sold the OSG and have my hopes the Quaife isnt a giant queef.

I know PPG and some other people make sets too. My only exposure to them is on STIs which seem to always do very well. However, this is a whole other debate haha

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
ah understand. Thanks. And it makes sense as the gearbox is an area that once put back together you don't want to be taking apart again.

Anyway , I thought you were meant to be asleep....? And on that note, off I go.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
The difference of the 2.8 is not so much power as torque because you can get power from tuning the 26
I would say the 2.8 is ideal for travk as whatever power level you have the bigger engines extra torque makes the car much more driveable . Any turbos will spool quicker as well.
I have a 2.8 in the stagea now and would never go back

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Love my RB30, would never go back to a RB26.
For me in NZ (or do I live in Austraila?;) ) the RB30 blocks and cranks are quite easy to get and are very cheap, and it's no more expensive to build than a RB28 (cheaper here as you are not having to buy a Crank/Piston/Rod kit, just the Rods and Pistons)
The torque difference is night and day over my RB26.....you can pull out of corners in the wrong gear and not get passed by a guy on a push bike!
All the talk about them not reving is a fallacy.....mine revs easily to 8000rpm, and would go further if I needed it, but due to the huge torque you don't need it, the rod angle ratio is better than a RB26 or RB28 so by rights it should look after the big end bearings better as well.
It does have a couple of downsides, 1: you will need a sump adaptor plate, this will lower the sump by 10mm and means slotting a couple of holes in the gearbox, but pretty easy.
2: you will need a custom manifold or down pipe as the block is 38mm taller.
3: I spose there is a little weight up higher in the engine bay.....can't say I've ever noticed it though.

1 - 20 of 242 Posts