GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Recently installed an RB26 into a Nissan Silvia S15.

I wired everything, it all runs but the engine had a miss and ran really rich.
It seemed the #1 cylinder was not firing.

I narrowed it down to the ECU being faulty and replaced it.
It worked fine, took it out for a few runs, and it started to develop a miss again when the car got warm.

...now it has gone back to the low, bad idle.

Am hoping it is not the ECU again, but wondering what possibly might be causing this ?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Sounds like the ignitor (silver box at back of cam covers), assuming its an R32 or early R33.
Try finding someone local who has one you can borrow for 10 minutes, it's very quick & easy to swap out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have tried swapping that out with a friends one.

Also tested resistance across pins, all seem to be fine.

·
Registered
792 Posts
since you replaced the ecu I would find a replacement and run it only to confirm if it is a problem with the ecu or not.

Also it may be that when you hook it up the ecu has "reset" so short term and long terms fuel trims are reset as well as other things so. I would try the the original ecu and see what it does now and see if it works o.k when initially connected.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
since you replaced the ecu I would find a replacement and run it only to confirm if it is a problem with the ecu or not.

Also it may be that when you hook it up the ecu has "reset" so short term and long terms fuel trims are reset as well as other things so. I would try the the original ecu and see what it does now and see if it works o.k when initially connected.
Very good point. I had initially wondered this myself.

I'm off to go get some of the flanges re-surfaced this week. As the HKS style intake kit I bought wasn't the best of fits.
That and having the injectors SS cleaned.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glen popped the diagnostic tool on it tonight,

AFM's are reading a little odd ,about a 1.0 (volts?) unit difference between them.
And the injector readings were at about 5.0. Way more than they should be.

Of course the spark plugs were fouled as hell, so we had to hold the revs at about 2,000rpm to keep the engine running without stalling. But still those figures were still very off when we compared it to Glens R32 GTR.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll let you know the verdict when it's fixed.

Am hoping it's the AFM's that are causing the injectors to be running rich.

I also had an 02 sensor that wasn't working as it should be, so have unplugged those in the mean time.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Have you run the resistor packs ? when I did this on an s13 I seem to remember having to wire them in as it wasn't part of the ecu loom.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you mean the two 10A fused wires ?
If so then yes I have wired those both in.

Small progress report :
AFM's , whilst seeming to be OK against the Diagnostic tool (1.4v held at 2,000rpm) behave differently when running Glens AFM's.

So will buy another pair and go from there.

We also suspect the TPS to be faulty, as the engine didnt seem to do anything when we rotated it on idle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
TPS reads .47v at idle and 3.99v at WOT so all seems OK there.

As far as the car goes, we think the first problem in regards to the bad idle is fixed (AFM's being faulty)
Possibly need to replace 02 sensors also.

But would LOVE to know why the car still dies on throttle-off...

Could AAC be the culprit ? Have contemplated taking it out and cleaning it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts