GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls.

Looking to build a rb26 dett drift car been looking at S13 & S14 and was wondering if any body has had first hand experience in doing this swap and has anybody documented it .

I’ve got good general mechanical skills but never attempted anything like this! on and stupid level of 0-10 there would this fall?????

Any help much appreciated .

Thanks in advance.

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have done RB25DET Conversion on an RPS13.

There are various how-to's on the internet. It is not too hard, no real nasties.
The loom work is quite intensive.

You will need to ensure you can fabricate a custom gearbox mount + custom driveshaft.

RB25DET from R33 Front Subframe mounts straight into the S13 Chassis (a small amount of drilling involved around the subframe mounting holes...very slight).

·
Registered
646 Posts
You will need to modify the sump of course, a few hours involved there.
Subframe may be different, you should look into this area, I have a feeling you will need to go with custom engine mounts to mount the RB26 as opposed to the ease of using the RB25 Front Subframe.

However if a RB26 fits into a R33GTS using the same mounts.. or subframe...(few guys have done this conversion on here and skylineowners.com), you may be in luck.

Custom downpipe work will be a bit fiddly but not too hard if you can weld yourself.

A single turbo conversion on the RB26 would mean quite a bit more a simpler swap.

It should be not be a huge amount harder than the RB25 Swap....it took me a weekend to do, needed a few pointers on the wiring and professional help with the propshaft.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your comments any other help would be appreciated.

anybody selling a complete rb26 dett engine? (and a welder ..LOL..)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I did RB25 into S13 about 4 years ago. Mounting the thing is the same as RB26.
Use the RB25 engine mount brackets
Use the RB25 crossmemeber (Mine went straight on , no drilling, dunno why laurence needed to do that!?!)
Use the R33 GTSt gearbox with an early R32 GTR clutch
Modify the S body gearbox mount to fit

Theres lots of things. Id say if you have a S13 use an R32 GTR lump and loom and if its an S14, use a R33 lump and loom.
Looking at Jays (Purplepower (I had a hand in fitting it with him) I thin the plugs may match up
Its easier to fit the RBs to the S13 and S14 (rather than S14a) - in the 14a there are more circuits affected in the loom inside the car. Wierd I know!

·
Registered
6,560 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your comments and links its made interesting reading .

So am I right in thinking I can use an rb26 engine with a rb25 sump and gear box. ???….

And does it really make and difference there the engine comes from I.e. R32/33/34

·
Registered
113 Posts
I posted this in a similar thread on the SXOC forum:

If you use the R33 GTS-T front crossmember, the engine sits very high and close to the radiator. In other words, you may have clearance issues with the bonnet and will have to "massage" the transmission tunnel / firewall. The gear lever also sits much further forward than it should, to close to the head unit in my opinion.

With McKinney mounts, the engine sits much lower and further back, so you won't have any issues with the bonnet, the gear lever sits perfecly in the center of it's hole. And you shouldn't have any problems with the transmission hitting the tunnel or firewall.

As you might have guessed, I'm in the process of doing this right now.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I posted this in a similar thread on the SXOC forum:
Wierd, the shifter sits bang in the middle of the hole on my S14a with R33 GTS-T crossmember?

Just a shame McKinney are such a pain in the arse to deal with :eek:

Old thread too Zoidman :clap:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Oi, I was searching for another thread when I found this, didn't check the date. :eek:

I thought the issue with the GTS-T subframe and the shifter position applied to both S13 and S14, must be only S13 then.

Nice car btw. purplepower! I've read through your thread on SXOC twice!

I don't have to deal with McKinney, the design of the mounts is very simple, I can easily copy them myself and save $5-600.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I thought the issue with the GTS-T subframe and the shifter position applied to both S13 and S14, must be only S13 then.
Nope, its fine on the RS13 too if the conversion is done properly. I have seen two RS13's where the gearstick was far forward in the hole but the engines weren't level in the car, they tilted down at the front which has the effect of raising the back of the geabox which moves the gearstick further forward in the gearstick tunnel and the bellhousing towards the bulkhead/transmission tunnel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts