GTR Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Never had my eyes bathed in such beauty. This build is immense and God the fabrication is art.

Keep it coming, we need more! :bowdown1:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
15 January 2012 !!!!
Yup, the car was in storage since 2012. Took it out after the winter this year, and have been chipping away at it since then. Everything is one off and custom in a build like this, so I didn’t want continue until i was able to focus on it. Honestly, I enjoy the build process more than anything else.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Can you give us a rough idea % wise how much you have done?

Great build by the way ;)
Thank you, its hard to say how complete it is, as everything for this conversion is custom made or heavily modified. The engine is in, and much of what is left is a turbo setup and plumbing. I have twin Borg Warner EFR 6258's for it, and will make manifolds for them. I only get about 2-3 days a week to work on it, and when basically everything is an obstacle, those days often get eaten up by waiting for parts or making parts. I really enjoy the challenge though, my "theme" or goal is to build it as the factory would today. Almost all the parts I had purchased for the build are no longer being used. Not because they weren't awesome, because RIPS plenums and Full-Race manifolds are about as cool as it gets, I just changed direction. You may notice that some things in this build appear like OEM items in their construction. I could have loaded the engine bay with AN fittings, and billet aluminum, but I really wanted to try to create something that Nissan would have produced. This route has been challenging, but its been really fun. The post below is a perfect example of what I mean by OEM appearing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Loving the attention to detail.

Who do you use for your plating work?
I am in the states, and we have a lot of platers, however it was not easy to find a place to do small batch work. I used a placed called Miller and Sons plating in New Jersey, but to be quite honest, I dont think Id use them again. The turn around time was very long, like 4 weeks, very little communication, and I had to do all the prep work. Everything you see on the table was $120, but would have been more if they were doing the prep work. Plating, like many other finishing processes, is only as good as the prep work. Unless you get a decent polish on the parts first, you wont get that supreme luster that you see on a zinc plated fastener. I wasnt really after luster, so the outcome was just fine, but just keep that in mind if you ever get something plated that you really want to shine. If I were looking again, id find a much smaller operation that specialized in restoration, not industrial applications. These places cost more, but you get show quality results. Many larger outfits will just media blast and barrel plate, which is fast and cheap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This piece was a bit complicated it get together without damaging or affecting the fresh plating. It has to be disassembled/assembled with a press, and given its shape, you have to get quite creative to get it done without damage. I had to make a few different adapters to get it done, but in the end, it came together very nicely.

Hi there I have a spare linkage i want to restore. can you explain in a bit more detail how you go about pressing it apart please? I am stumped

101 - 119 of 119 Posts