GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some assistance with something that's been concerning me.

[Edit] Forum wont let me post the link, please PM me for that, I'd appreciate it!

After the engine starts and idles, the engine is revved and around 2:55 there is a subtle but audible 'rattle' noise, almost as if something sounds loose.

I have my suspicions as to what it is, but any suggestions/educated guess would be welcomed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hi mate we cant PM you because of your post count - that is also why you cant post the link / embed the video, post a few comments and we should be able to assist further.
James

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
Likely a worn big end bearing. I had an issue similar to the one you described and my #1 big end has excessive clearance.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Is it like a 'broom-broom' kind of noise that gets louder when you press the pedal on the right??

TT

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really "Broom broom", more like a rattle, there should be a video link now that I've passed the minimum limit for the posting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

[Edit] Forum wont let me post the link, please PM me for that, I'd appreciate it!

After the engine starts and idles, the engine is revved and around 2:55 there is a subtle but audible 'rattle' noise, almost as if something sounds loose.

I have my suspicions as to what it is, but any suggestions/educated guess would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Heres the link!!

https://youtu.be/ECjMA3AAw2c?t=2m45s

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
It does sound like the beginnings of the death rattle.. bearings in bottom end :/

That said my alternator bearing died years ago and sounded bloody horrible - get a stetho on various parts and see if you can hear any rattles or knocks. Does it sound worse and gutteral when you put your head down near the bottom of car?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I'm not an expert but I thought I could hear big end rattle at idle.

The noise I hear when you Rev it sounds like a blown gasket to me, probably a turbo one that's a Cnut to get to - had exactly the same noise on my old GTR.

:(

Hope I'm wrong - just listening through phone speaker.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Just had another listen... Ouch :(

The experts will be along shortly hopefully but I wouldn't drive that just in case.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Hmmm sounds like my '33 did.

That had a spun bearing in #1.

Drain the oil slowly through a coffee percolator filter and see what metallics are picked up.
All the best.

·
GT-RDC Founder Member
12,443 Posts

Thanks.

We could take a look for you though unsure where you are?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Good shout Dave. :thumbsup:

Happy to look/listen if you're Medway area , sure that will be accross the board/ nation offer TBH if you pop your location up .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in New York, car is in Quebec right now since I can't import it just yet, can only do so after Janurary of 2017.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Okay so first thing you should do is drain the all the oil into a clean black container. Shine a light onto the oil and if you see 'glitter' then you know your bearing is on the way out or gone. At that point I would not start the car again as you risk damaging the crank journals further.

If you haven't paid for the car yet then cancel the deal and find another one, if the seller is willing to decrease the price then go for it and have the engine out/rebuilt (IF there is bearing material present in the oil)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Already got a solid deal for the car specifically because of this, so it is a known issue before any purchase was made.

I'm not -that- concerned about the engine due to the fact that I intend to replace it, I just need to it last until said replacement can occur.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts