GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member for a while now and i own a 34 gtr. I also have a supra tt.

From what i understand the RB26 is not the most reliable engine out there.

Most threads i read are about rebuilds and failed RB26 engines.

My supra engine has been run hard for many years with minimum of 100bhp of nitrous shoved down its throat along with running Mines ecu, 1.5 bar of boost etc. The supra has never given me any trouble apart from valve stem seals failed a few months ago.

Now is it me or is the RB26 far from this reliable?

What is the main difference in design between the two engines? Can we not adapt what ever this difference is to a RB26?

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
From what i know the Supra has a superbly strong engine. The RB26 was also very strong with the original N1 blocks, but Nissan started to use the standard weaker blocks. I dont know if this has anything to do with it though but i think GTR`s are probably driven harder, i`ve only ever seen 1 Supra at a trackday. You`ve also got to remember that engine failure can be caused by poor maintenance service history, My car had 6 owners in just under 2 years before i bought, fortunately it had loads of service documentation with it but there are some right dogs out there. Most people would pick a GTR over a Supra if they were given the 2 to pick from;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I read that the 2jz engine was originally designed by engineers to have 600bhp from factory, but was changed to conform with Japanese regs...
Could be lies though as it was on Wikipedia :D

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a shame that the supra was never built with the skyline running gear!

More to the point tho, most failed RB26 seem to be down to bearings/crank related problems caused by lack of oil?

So what is so different on the supra?

Also as for track days. My supra has been on loads. But you lot may not see that tho as the supra owners clubs have a few track days that are supra only. But still i have never seen a failed supra out on the track.

There must be some big difference somewhere between the two engines that we could copy and reproduce on a RB26 is there not?

For one we dont need to extend sumps, fit head drains, uprate oil pumps etc on a supra!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
When i had my supra i didnt get 1 bit of trouble from it, will be buying another one again in the future, excellent car

One think i loved about the supra over the skyline is the sequential turbo setup

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When i had my supra i didnt get 1 bit of trouble from it, will be buying another one again in the future, excellent car

One think i loved about the supra over the skyline is the sequential turbo setup
Really? How come shane? I was thinking of changing mine to ttc mod or whatever they call it! You know where both turbos are running together. Its not the same as a skyline as the turbos are different size to each other etc.

Personally i love the way the skyline produces the power.

Are you driving your skyline now then shane?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
No mate my 34 is locked away in storage awaiting it new plates but this wont be happening until probably jan, the budget will be released on 9th december over here and there is currently talks of the vrt price dropping from 36% down to 25%.
Only spin i had in my 34 was months ago when i test drove it the time i bought it and since then its tucked away until i vrt it, then i will give my report on it lol

Few of the lads over on the supra forum did that conversion thing where both turbo's come in and most didnt like it and turned it back to the normal sequential setup :) (they must be doing this for a reason lol)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well it is a toyota what do u expect there know for the reliability :D

All japanese cars are! LOL

Like im saying tho, there must be one major differnce between the 2 cars and i want to adapt that difference to my skyline! Either that or get me a supra engine running the gtr running gear! :D

also why are skylines worth more money than a supra? I must say that my supra is better built than a skyline, has a better engine. Just missing the 4 wheel drive!

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
also why are skylines worth more money than a supra? I must say that my supra is better built than a skyline, has a better engine. Just missing the 4 wheel drive!
Because GTRs are better?

Seriously though the Supras are good cars but not that unlike many others. There are a number of powerful RWD coupes about. The GTR has a the RWD/4WD system with the only other similar car (of vaguely similar age) I can think of being the 911TT.

I suspect that the racing wins help too.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I've had a quick look at a 2jz engine in bits and I can't see anything really that stands out as being any better, in fact the motor I saw had individual mains caps which can't be as good as what the RB has.

I think people think the 2jz is better because of all the youtube hype from rich yanks who have just happened to put massive money into 1500+whp street supras and not bothered doing the same development to the GTR.

The best 2jz I know of makes around 2100whp (3.4 liter) and the best RB I know of that is MUCH lower capacity (around 2.8) is around 1800-1900whp so obviously once you have the time and the budget both can be equaly as good.

Rob

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cheers for the input rob,

However im not that all bothered about the power output, im more the reliability of the engine. It does seem in my eyes that you (rips) seem to be the only person who i know of that is building rb's and having good reliability with over a long period of abuse. :thumbsup:

However my research may be limited and others may be able to give other examples here?

So im guessing your doing something different to other engine builders?

But when im talking about supra engines im going on personal expearence as i have both cars. Like i say, my supra has taken mountains of abuse from track to drag with no issues. There must be some difference?

Is it simply sump design and oil return?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Question for ye while ye are discussing the rb engine, at what stage would a person start to encounter un-reliability (talking about mods wise / upping the boost etc ) and what normally would be the first to give up in an rb engine ? (hope ye understand my question)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
shane, from what i understand :nervous: its normally down to lack of oil. Either oil stuck in the head and not returning down to the sump/crank etc. Or from oil surge where the sump pickup is sucking oil.

But my whole point to this thread is to be told different or another fix maybe. As you know, supras dont suffer from this problem.

The faster your car, i.e the more force of the oil be shoved backwards the more likely you will have trouble with a RB. There are ways around this by fitting an accusump, head drains, extended sumps etc.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I think the 2JZ engine just have a "easier" life when compare to a RB26.

The 2JZ have longer stroke, so they don't rev as much. Rev is what kill the RB26 alot of time as their oil pump isn't the most reliable setup.

The Supra is also RWD so they end up spinning their wheels forever... where the RB26 in a GTR is 4WD, so they end up blowing diff and cracking sumps...

·
Registered
794 Posts
I think the 2JZ engine just have a "easier" life when compare to a RB26.

The 2JZ have longer stroke, so they don't rev as much. Rev is what kill the RB26 alot of time as their oil pump isn't the most reliable setup.

The Supra is also RWD so they end up spinning their wheels forever... where the RB26 in a GTR is 4WD, so they end up blowing diff and cracking sumps...
spot on i rekon

revs kill rbs, traction kills boxes...

how high do 2jz revs neway?

·
Registered
65 Posts
weak or not.

I have been a member for a while now and i own a 34 gtr. I also have a supra tt.

From what i understand the RB26 is not the most reliable engine out there.

Most threads i read are about rebuilds and failed RB26 engines.

My supra engine has been run hard for many years with minimum of 100bhp of nitrous shoved down its throat along with running Mines ecu, 1.5 bar of boost etc. The supra has never given me any trouble apart from valve stem seals failed a few months ago.

Now is it me or is the RB26 far from this reliable?

What is the main difference in design between the two engines? Can we not adapt what ever this difference is to a RB26?

What are your thoughts?
A few people may not like this but,i asked abbey about engine reliability and was told an evos was stronger than the gtr,s,hence my nervous regard for high mileage cars.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts