GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Id like to carry on with what a few were talking about in one of the for sale threads (sorry for dragging that off topic, but it needed to be stated that the pick-up was modified for the new buyer) in regards to how people run the new oil pickup in their RB30/26 engines (non OS Giken of course).

can i ask how is the new pickup facilitated into that engine? if you could, a shot from the other side of the engine would be more suitable for prospective buyers (showing the modified pickup)
A shot from the other side will not show you anything sorry, My adapters utilise an internal pick up system exclusive to R.I.P.S. (nothing to copy here lol :wavey: )
wasnt trying to sneekly copy ur design lol, because on my plate it has the internal oil pickup blocked (due to different locations beween the RB series) and an external oil pickup needs to be fabricated, no biggy was just seeing if it had been done on this engine already :)

maybe if i swing u an email or PM RIPS we could have a lil chat re the different pickups?
best way to do it:wavey: no bloody pipes getting in the way of a/c pump........
the gibson motorsport gtr's ran an external pick-up on their bathurst cars, hence why there is a provision in the pump to do so. why would they have done it then? when it could have been done easier?
Which way is truely 'better' when looking at the performance side of things. I can see that if using a modified 'internal' system would be better as there is no need to make up an external one. But then does running an external pickup give better oil control? Seeing as the gibson gtr's ran external pickups, they would have figured there were certain gains to be had from doing so?

The way im doing it on mine is running an external pickup. Remove welsche plug in the oil pump, fit -12 fitting, run braided line down to another -12 fitting in the side of the sump where the relocated pickup is. It's a bit of a pain on a standard sump as there aren't many flat surfaces to get a nice easy sealing surface, but is definately do-able. I can even grab some pics and add them so its easier to understand different ideas.

Just after anyone's input that has an idea, or even half of an idea :chuckle:

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
I know how mine works, how the oil is picked up and transferred to the oilpump, and a very cool way it is too, but im not telling, as i said i wouldnt, so, well, sorry!

What I will say though is although ive never seen a setup the same before, itd dead simple and obvious really, and way more effective than the standard setup.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Good on you Steve, keep my tricks to yourself :thumbsup:

There are many ways to get the oil from the sump to the oil pump, we usually use the blocks oil gallery, in Steve's case, he did not want to have A/C and he wanted something different so I designed a completely new external system which is now an option for any of my engines.

At the end of the day, all you have to do is keep oil at the entry to your pickup tube at all times.

Our 4wd adapters enable us to have internal or external pickups and the way we do it, I can't really see any advantages one way or the other, they have both proven themselves to be reliable and maintain good oil pressure.

I can't see what all the fuss is about, either way is simple enough to do :confused:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys. I just wanted some documented discussion because i dont think there is anything describing this anywhere!

I can certainly understand that u want to keep ur own designs secret, because u had to do all ur own R&D :thumbsup:. Was interested in hearing others views on if one way would yield better gains than the other, and considering RIPS you would have done alot of these engines then u'd have the most knowledge about them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Good on you Steve, keep my tricks to yourself :thumbsup:

There are many ways to get the oil from the sump to the oil pump, we usually use the blocks oil gallery, in Steve's case, he did not want to have A/C and he wanted something different so I designed a completely new external system which is now an option for any of my engines.

At the end of the day, all you have to do is keep oil at the entry to your pickup tube at all times.

Our 4wd adapters enable us to have internal or external pickups and the way we do it, I can't really see any advantages one way or the other, they have both proven themselves to be reliable and maintain good oil pressure.

I can't see what all the fuss is about, either way is simple enough to do :confused:

:thumbsup: yes i always use to do my rb30 4wd conversions using the external way, but alway was a problem for people using a/c..... but when my very experienced engine builder and cad designer mate came up with his own design of how to use all the standard oil pickup and pump,,, i will always be doing it that way from now on.... its so much neater:thumbsup: cant tell how it is done though as its not my idea to give...sorry:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
The way im doing it on mine is running an external pickup. Remove welsche plug in the oil pump, fit -12 fitting, run braided line down to another -12 fitting in the side of the sump where the relocated pickup is. It's a bit of a pain on a standard sump as there aren't many flat surfaces to get a nice easy sealing surface, but is definately do-able. I can even grab some pics and add them so its easier to understand different ideas.

Just after anyone's input that has an idea, or even half of an idea :chuckle:

Can you post some pics of your external p/u please??

j.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts