GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not quite a Gt-r but an exiting project all the same.

Having come from RB25 , RB25 Neo (brilliant little engine) to RB26 with a hell of a lot of bells and whistles , I am finally doing an RB34/26 motor for my S14.
The RB26 was an animal and put down 400 odd Hp to the road , was diabolical on fuel use but gave me a thrill of note wailing away at 8500 rpm daily..

Used her for track days as well , pretty ok but incorrectly geared for the exit of most long fast corners around here. Always waiting for the bang while lesser cars were getting away rapidly.

The idea of more low down torque came to mind and hence the RB34/26 was born.

Contacted Spool in Ozz and got the old stroker kit in.
Bought an awesome condition r31 Skyline RB30 Auto engine here and started the project.

The old RB26 setup .

and the car in went into...

The RB26 dropped a valve at a measly, non bragging rights 3000rpm a while back while pottering around town.
Thus the new project was born...

updates to follow.:)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting comments on the rb25, what did you think of them compared to the rb26?
The RB25 Neo was one the best little engines I had played with in my car.Std. internals , ViPEC mangement , GT3582R turbo, made 350 Hp to the road all day long.
I had to do the head drain back mod though as it filled up and spat the oil out at over 7000rpm for probably 30 sec or so..

It eventually spat the stock head gasket and my road to bankruptcy started with the RB26..

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah im keep also to see this. Could you not have modded the RD34 block?
Looked at that but not much info that I could garner on the web regarding the RD.
I found some info on the RB30 to 34 stroker from Spool Imports and decided to go with that.
The clincher was that we had gazillions of R31 Skylines here and there are as many RB30 engines available here.
The block is not as re in-forced with webbing as is the RB26 block. What did shock me though was the spindly 10mm main bolts used as standard.

Im an old Alfa Romeo man and used to 12mm main studs and head studs.
I have upgraded all fasteners with ARP stuff though.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ordered the stroker kit from Brad Coucher at Spool Imports and had it in my mits within 6 days ! UPS for the win here.
While I was at it I also got the correct length and pitch cam belt , two new tensioners , head gasket , ARP fasteners and the obligatory decals from him as well.
While waiting for the kit to arrive I pulled the RB30 apart and was astonished at how well it had worn during its life. OE everything and in very good condition , never opened before. I also always try and buy an engine that was bolted to an Automatic box.

Battled to get the belt drive pulley off the snout without hurting it but eventually manged to release it .
Strictly speaking , I am only going to use the bare block here. It measured within the 86mm bore spec and I would have preferred keeping it at 86mm but the pistons are oversize only so I had to go 86.5mm.

RB30 Base engine used.

·
Registered
887 Posts
great project

i was thinking of going with spool 3.4 kit but decided in the end to use the nitto 3.2

we also used v-cam for more low down grunt!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The Nitto setup was extremely expensive here vs the Spool setup.
I am sure there are kits and adapters for the std RB26 stroker setups but for my power and end use goal, the Spool setup is good for me.

From what I have been able to ascertain and also looking at the Youtube tests with R34 with Vcam and without , I felt that I could live without it at this stage.
Besides, I believe they just are not that freely available !
Obviously I have not driven a Vcammed car yet , so do not know what the real world difference really is.

Picture courtesy of Spool.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What aslo should have been a quick rebuild and go has now urned into one of THOOOSE projects..
Decided to fix the body work as well and get a fresh coat of paint onto it.
Luckily I own the panel shop so it can be done relatively easy and cheaply..

·
Registered
887 Posts
The Nitto setup was extremely expensive here vs the Spool setup.
I am sure there are kits and adapters for the std RB26 stroker setups but for my power and end use goal, the Spool setup is good for me.

From what I have been able to ascertain and also looking at the Youtube tests with R34 with Vcam and without , I felt that I could live without it at this stage.
Besides, I believe they just are not that freely available !
Obviously I have not driven a Vcammed car yet , so do not know what the real world difference really is.

Picture courtesy of Spool.

never checked the spool kit price just decided to use the nitto kit as it was tryed and tested more :-(

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
As my previous motor had dropped a valve on #3 cyl, I was not keen on welding and repairing the head and port. The valve head was stuck right up the intake.

Asked around here and got some quotes from the advertisers here but with our exchange rate to the UKP it was simply out of the question.
Went to our local RB guru and bought a head for x amount local currency.
Looked all pretty and shiny but being an old engine engine builder who came along the lines and days of David Vizzard, I was not too happy with the physical appearance of everything from the ports, comb. chambers, valve head protrusion-or lack thereof etc, etc.
Running the shop does not really allow me to indulge anymore so I dropped it off at my favourite engineering shop and instructed Fabio to strip and report on it.
Worn guides, worn valve stems, not original valves as they had not even been seated nor lapped in at all.
One std cam, one HKS cam .
I assembled and gave it back with a lot of "but why`s".
You want something done correct, DO IT YOURSELF!

Found an illegal import R32 that was being dismantled and parts sold off. Bought an original condition , unmolested std R33 head and took it to my head guru,who helped with some of our Alfa Romeo Race heads back in the day.
Long story short, some BC and Supertech ingredients , custom made JUN camshafts , some awesome porting with expected printouts from the Superflow bench , a load of cash later and I should be collecting the head in the next two weeks or so.

The "load of cash" here is still cheaper overall than the quotes I got from vendors here for STD , but re built heads -R30 000.00 vs R52 000.00 !

Not having experienced the RB motor before , but a lifetime with Alfa Romeos, I looked at what I would have done to the big bore V6 Alfa cam profile wise with turbo.
I settled on a 288 seat to seat duration, 11.6 mm lift JUN cam that is being made for me currently. In the little RB26 this would be a BIG cam, Im thinking with the larger capacity engine it should equate to a "medium " type cam in the broad sense of the word.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Nice build mate you sticking with the gt35 for the new rb34? Nice to see you have a good idea with cams. With the long stroke package you have a good head will make all the difrence. Are jun making your cams specifically for the 3.4 design?

I bet the car is intresting to drive must light up the tyres quite easily

Dan

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice build mate you sticking with the gt35 for the new rb34? Nice to see you have a good idea with cams. With the long stroke package you have a good head will make all the difference. Are jun making your cams specifically for the 3.4 design?

I bet the car is interesting to drive must light up the tires quite easily

Dan
Dan, yea. Staying with the GTX35R for now , its a lovely bit of kit and works well. The idea is more low down torque with controllable power..

I`d like to sound like a hotshot big deal regarding the cams but it is an existing spec that is simply out of stock from them. Sooo, yea, they making me cams !!:chuckle:

"I bet the car is intresting to drive must light up the tyres quite easily "

You will not believe how easy ! Running BC shocks and have already made the rears soft to get the power down.
As they say in the classics, with enough torque you can break your finger off in your a** hey....
I need to spend more time on the suspension setup as well. That will happen in time. I found that stock ride height on the S14 is about where it is for dynamic geometry changes ..IE: you stay on the track longer than with lowered suspension...its all about a balance between rear ward weight transfer and geometry changes.

Must say that sometimes a loose rear end is a serious barrel of laughs though..also thinking of using a donor Gt-r for its 4 wd setup but that's for later...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I think you taking the right approach with the cams, do you have any flow bench before and after data for the head you can share?
Dave, I gave my head guru some specs from Lewis engines in Ozz regarding their flow rates at differing lifts with their CNC ported heads.
I am not sure if I pissed him off or if he will take note of what can be achieved , but my faith is in his ability.As he has stated, drive ability is more important than outright flow figures.
Guy says that to me, he`s ok in my book...:) I am sure he will supply the flow rates and gains at the end of the build.

Edit: Sorry, head is still a work in progress. Cams being made etc..
Don't have any data right now but will share if I get it from him.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, the latest on everything is that all is at a standstill.

Balancing guys are waiting on my front pulley and the clutch assembly /flywheel .
The head guy wants the cams to sort out the valve clearances.

A little trick we are going for here, remove the shims completely , stellite weld material to the valve stem tips , fit and measure clearances.
We then grind the stellite tipped stem until the correct clearance is achieved.
Used this for many years in the Alfa`s and have not had one valve failure.
It is also "buzz" friendly in the event of a missed gear etc....

Painting of the car is standing as I cannot decide on a colour !!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Finally an update ! Prepped the shell for paint and got it done today.

king through some swatches on the BASF bench I found a deep red. Really liked it and did a fender. Today we did the body , Looks rather good must say...

Will flat sand the entire body again then get it into the booth for some more clear ...will see what she looks like , if not happy, will repeat the process again untill Im happy...

Tomorrow the old motor will come out as well.

Jun have let us know that the cams are compete and will be shipped next week. Things should start happening then...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 289 Posts