GTR Forum banner

261 - 280 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #261 (Edited)
Did a round of the Michelin Cup at Redstar Raceway yesterday. A seriously technical track where I improved my lap time by 15 seconds between sessions !! Even I was shaking my head at that..

Some hairy braking ...

Will post some vid as soon as I have edited footage..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQCefHZO7tM&feature=youtu.be

Edited: Added some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
"v" band anything ! The bane of my life ! Just cannot get the damn things to seal properly for any length of time.Pulled the waste gate off again and looked at the mess once more, pulled the seat out and machined a square groove into it. Annealed some 1.6mm copper wire and made a seal out of it.Worked great just after I fitted everything but last night I started her up and pfft pfft again ! Small ball peen hammer and knocked the "v" clamp in tighter which really loosened up the bolt. Tightened that f**k tight and it seems to be doing the trick this morning. Ill see after its run hot and cooled down. again.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
I think it comes down to welding the receiver flange to the pipe Ian, all stainless and lots of warping if not done correctly. I welded myself and know I did not follow correct procedures to minimize warping.

Must say, its been 2 weeks now and it is not leaking anymore. Seems the copper "o" ring works well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Shane Tecklenberg, renowned tuner and programmer of all sorts said, give the engine all the fuel it wants,work out the theory afterwards.
Well, thats what I have done . Thrown the theoretical "known" afr`s out of the window and just given the engine what it wants.Innovate gauge has gone richer by almost 2 points and the engine is responding brilliantly.Wondering if the afrs readings are not all wrong...

Will figure it out sometime.(frown here)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Shane Tecklenberg, renowned tuner and programmer of all sorts said, give the engine all the fuel it wants,work out the theory afterwards.
Well, thats what I have done . Thrown the theoretical "known" afr`s out of the window and just given the engine what it wants.Innovate gauge has gone richer by almost 2 points and the engine is responding brilliantly.Wondering if the afrs readings are not all wrong...
I've looked through the most recent posts in this thread on this topic and I'm really not sure where this comment is coming from. I agree (/ look up to) very much with Shane T, he sees the wood for the trees so is talking very high level about what he's looking VERY low level at... I'd say his process is far beyond making a change and going "oh yeh seems happier" and calling it ok.

What is the issue you were having and what have you changed to make it seem happier? Situations where you have to do "unexpected" changes to fuelling etc to make the engine happier can indicate more nefarious underlying issues are being covered up but not fixed.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
I've looked through the most recent posts in this thread on this topic and I'm really not sure where this comment is coming from. I agree (/ look up to) very much with Shane T, he sees the wood for the trees so is talking very high level about what he's looking VERY low level at... I'd say his process is far beyond making a change and going "oh yeh seems happier" and calling it ok.

What is the issue you were having and what have you changed to make it seem happier? Situations where you have to do "unexpected" changes to fueling etc to make the engine happier can indicate more nefarious underlying issues are being covered up but not fixed.
Car was running what I felt was "good" Off boost mediocre power, into boost breaking traction, felt spectacular.Lots of fun but rather frenetic.
I felt the lack of "n/a" power was a let down although, must say, was not bad.
Looked at fuel map and went opposite -enriched-low vac and creeping into boost afr`s. Previously played with some ignition advance down below as well.I was after that modern car response and get up and go that one gets from say the BMW 335. Different engines but was sure I could get something close.
With throwing fuel at the areas previously regarded as cruising afr`s it has responded as I had hoped.
This is a region where I now need to learn about 3,4 and 5d fuel and ignition mapping. I still do not understand the concept thereof.

In a nutshell, I am now overlapping cruise afr`s with power afr`s on the same map , be it in some areas only. This is messing with my version of perfect mapping now.
Getting back on track here, the transition from roll out n/a power into boost power is so much more effortless,the transition is like a big n/a engine with good torque. Does this make sense??

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Getting back on track here, the transition from roll out n/a power into boost power is so much more effortless,the transition is like a big n/a engine with good torque. Does this make sense??
Yep, makes perfect sense - if I read what you are saying right. Makes it seem a bit like it may not have been properly steady state tuned or something, though there are slightly different strategies which can sometimes result in better emissions or fuel consumption at the cost of some low down torque.

Not sure if you have people you are talking tuning with, but feel free to pm if you want to chat tuning - or alternatively check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/737420992943719/ if you are on Facebook, there can be a lot of "noise" in there but there are also some pretty smart cookies in there.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Cheers bud, thanks for the offer of help and for the link. A member of buyers and sellers as well but left the engine building group. No need to say why methinks. :)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Cheers bud, thanks for the offer of help and for the link. A member of buyers and sellers as well but left the engine building group. No need to say why methinks. :)
I've never been in the engine building group so not really sure what I've missed :) I'm a moderator on the EFI tuning one and even then I struggle to find the time to give the page the attention it deserves.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Nissmo Super Copper mix clutch. Killed it today..or at least its on the way out. Real pity as it was just brilliant to drive with.

Immediate option is the dreaded triple plate HKS jobby. Not my fave option.
Other options are just too expensive.....Custom made stuff is always a compromise, shuddering, grabby and bloody hard on the left leg...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
:thumbsup:So the clutch is sorted and boost upped to a bar, 14 psi.Feels good but 1.7 bar felt better.Running into the age old spark killer at 1.7 bar so brought it down to 1 bar.

Do not know why I have done this but the ViPEC is out and a Link G4+ Thunder is going into its place.Stuff I wanted to do with the ViPEC but could not. Thunder allows me to do those ..
I sometimes question my sanity here....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Spent my time on leave being constructive in getting prepared for the Link install. Sensors, had a full R33 RB26 harness made by Wiring Specialties in the states years ago, but suited for the then Apexi I had. Never used either so the harness will be sacrificed as part of the new Link harness. Got all the wheel speed sensors working again, new crank trigger setup from NZ, some Delphi plugs and glued shrink sleeving. Waiting for a pile of crimps and their crimping tools..
In the mean time Ive spent quite some time learning more about the ViPEC stuff that I had not used.
Looking forward to the start of the install..

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Being back at work leaves me with every second weekend to tinker with the car now. Frustrating. Interior gutted, ecu mounted and a load of old redundant wiring removed.
Fixed the interior fan motor as well, old one had filled with water and rusted the motor out.
Started opening up the Wiring Specialties harness and cable marking everything.
One of my Deutch plugs came without the lock ring-frustrating !
Little crimper does not work on the larger pins so ordered a genuine Deutch crimper...fark me gently, does this cost a fortune !

Will get a lot done this weekend..

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
Mmmm...so, not that much done.
Found I needed more plugs and stuff as I went along. O2 sensors are now wired directly to the ecu, needed the corresponding sensor plugs-will order from NZEFI.Another week waiting for them to arrive.
Bought a Brother label printer , works better than this yellow slide on markers. Neater too.
Oh, and careful when clipping any link ecu into the supplied bracket, it tends to clip in very tight and quickly as well...

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Did a round of the Michelin Cup at Redstar Raceway yesterday. A seriously technical track where I improved my lap time by 15 seconds between sessions !! Even I was shaking my head at that..

Jesus Christ dude, that is impressive. Great Job! Also, what exterior mods are on the S14, because it looks like it has the (squished) back of a 300ZX, and looks better than it should!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mmmm...so, not that much done.
Found I needed more plugs and stuff as I went along. O2 sensors are now wired directly to the ecu, needed the corresponding sensor plugs-will order from NZEFI.Another week waiting for them to arrive.
Bought a Brother label printer , works better than this yellow slide on markers. Neater too.
Oh, and careful when clipping any link ecu into the supplied bracket, it tends to clip in very tight and quickly as well...
That is painful to look at.

Did you squish your hand IN the bracket? How did you do it.

Hope it gets better soon bud.

261 - 280 of 293 Posts