GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Abbey,
I have one of your chips in my ECU, is this your re-map or is it a chip which works on all cars?
I bought the car with it already in my ECU.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
between 5 and 7!! haa! I did figure.. couldn't remember if that was top or bottom!! being that it's south that's and even bigger joy! cos that's nearer me!
you could do a group buy in as much as could could be garuanteed a lot of us popping down to seee you due to my post! but anyhow.. I will try to ring tomorrow now! today was manic.. Would love to talk more anyway.

Lee

·
Registered
79 Posts
How can I do a group buy if ever ECU is mapped for the relevent car?

The deal will be very good dont worry.

Junction 6 is in between 5 and 7;-).......furthest south junction on the M25.
Sorry mate new to the GTR scene , but I have organised group buy remaps on impreza's in the past at scooby clinic with the Tek3 software and that produced 10 cars at a set price .
Whats the main difference between the two ? , is it that you will have to spend different amount's of time with each car and therfore a set price is unrealistic for a group buy ?

Cheers

Andy M

3,663 Posts
Abbey only re-map to each specific car I ama fraid, we see such a difference between car to get the best out of a car that we are very wary to cut and paste a map in.

We could do a generic map but it would not be the best we could from your cars. So I suppose the balls in your court, do you want the best of just "good" enough"

323ian these where generic eproms we had written in Japan a long time ago, before the Power FC came along. We shoul dhave the 33GTR remaps sorted out very soon.

Abbey will have the prices sorted very soon for remaps for hopefully all the Skyline models and even remaps on the Z33 ECU,s very soon.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
money not being an object, is there a particular benefit to using a remapped stock ECU versus a PFC? All I can think of is that the stock ECU will automatically retard timing when high knock is detected.

I have a PFC but have wondered if I wouldbe better off with a rechipped stock ECU, or using a piggyback like an Fcon, such that I'd be able to retain base functions of the stock ECU, but I don't know what they are (what it has that the PFC doesn't)...

·
Registered
430 Posts
money not being an object, is there a particular benefit to using a remapped stock ECU versus a PFC? All I can think of is that the stock ECU will automatically retard timing when high knock is detected.

I have a PFC but have wondered if I wouldbe better off with a rechipped stock ECU, or using a piggyback like an Fcon, such that I'd be able to retain base functions of the stock ECU, but I don't know what they are (what it has that the PFC doesn't)...
That is the crucial one tbh, AFAIK there isn't much else apart from things we all wont want to use like a speed limiter etc.

If you are willing to google for it there is quite a bit of information about remapping standard ECU's out there, does take a little finding though :)

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
why, oh why didn't Apexi put that feature (auto-retard timing) into the PFC??? They could make it programmable, on/off, how much, but at least have it there.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Abbey,

Just out of intrest, can you map a standard car better than the original map? Also can you map for 95 ron or is this simply the case of retarding the engine a few degrees on the cam sensor, say 18 BTDC instead of 20.

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Bit late for that, maybe in the PFC2 if they ever make one :)
18 degrees would be advancing the timing I think. I think?

I've got lots of ideas as to what a PFC ought to be:

-have auto timing retard of course!
-in addition to boost control port, it should have full inputs for all types of add on sensors, like at least six of them (fuel pressure, CHT, EGT, oil temp/pressure, etc), including a wideband lambda
-natively drive Apexi EL2 gauges and shift lamps just by plugging them in.
-a new color FC commander with some big-ass mad-tyte LCD screen
-full AVR-C boost control built in
-full RSM meters and logging built in
-USB port
-capability to map progressive water/meth injection and/or nitrous.

This is the electronics package I'm trying to install, and it's a major headache. Would love to just have it in one, neat package....

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
wait, hold on here. so on a Power FC map, on the ignition map, if a cell reads "20" and you change it to "18", then you have retarded the timing?

edit: forgive me for my idiocy, just need to clear this up...

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
good god, I literally feel waves of nausea. I would add timing to the map (go from 20 to 23 for example) to dial out knock. Which it did, but then...I was advancing the map when I thought I was retarding it to safe levels...?????

**** me. I wanna throw myself offa building.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
If you look at your map again, look at the 'safe' areas of the map, e.g. low revs, low demand and you'll see you have far 'higher' values there, may be up to 45, this is 45 degs before TDC. In areas of high demand you'll see values 'down' to perhaps 18 or so. This is where the timing is advanced for low demand and retarded for high demand....

3,663 Posts
stick to what you know comes to mind......

only taking the mickey thou

·
Registered
430 Posts
45 degrees at low rev and low load! is everyone mad? dont you mean low load high rpm 45 degrees? :eek:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
there's a zone that runs diagonally down, left to right, where timing would go up into the 40's. That would be in the 3000-4000rpm range IIRC.

I just reread this where I got my info for tuning out knock. I think I just had things backwards in my head when posting - I do remember edging up the timing by one or two degrees until I found a good balance between response and acceptable knock (which I defined to be no more than 20). The extremes of my map were quite retarded then, down to 11 in some cases.

So I'm not a complete idiot. And my tune had very little knock - even the two bar experiment only produced a knock spike of 48.

But what I DIDN'T know is that very retarded timing may stave off knock but will cause EGT to skyrocket. And I also didn't know that EGTs max at a certain AFR, then drop off on either side (lean or rich). And high EGTs cause things to melt. Like pistons.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts