GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I'm just in the process of buying a GT-R and had found a nice 18K miles MY2010 Black Edition, but just before I signed anything and paid my deposit I had another quick look around and found a MY2010 with 950 miles!

Now, I understand that from new they have to back after 1100 miles (or 1500 miles, depending on who you talk to) for 're-optimisation' for which there is no cost.

My question is this - this car has been obviously been nothing but a garage queen for the last 4 years and has had it's required services, but no re-optimisation yet. Is there a limitation on when the re-optimisation is carried out for free or would there be a charge for it after 4 years of sitting idle?

In truth I'm very sceptical of such low mileage - why on earth didn't someone drive this thing and actually experience it? Whats the catch? I'm seriously tempted by what is effectively a new car, but I can't help feeling I'm going to regret a new car which won't be supported by a Nissan warranty due to it's age. Litchfield warranty sounds like the sensible option though.

Any thoughts?

Phil

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apologies for sounding like a dumbass by using the term 're-optimisation'. Looking through the Litchfield blurb I can see that the term is akin to servicing - it's just that the person I was talking to about this car mentioned it and laboured the point quite a lot, which made me think it was a unique process for all new GT-Rs, when really it what most folk would just call the 'first service'.

In any case, my question remains, who picks up the tab for the 1st service on a MY2010 which hasn't had one after 4 years?

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
117 Posts
Unfortunatley the optimisations will have timed out on the Nissan system so would now be down to the owner.
The first optimisation has a window of 0-9 months with the further 3 yearly ones done with a 2 month window either side of the date of registration.

hope this helps

John

·
Premium Member
6,279 Posts
are you it hasn't just had a new gauge cluster that the seller "forgot" to mention?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are you it hasn't just had a new gauge cluster that the seller "forgot" to mention?
That did occur to me but I think that would be obvious to spot as inside and out it looks brand new, and also the Nissan main dealer that has it is also the dealer that has serviced it - every job card states "owner needs to drive car". I always check the condition of door handles, steering column controls, etc as an indication of honest mileage. Wheel arches are a dead give away too - the condition could only be described as little more than "delivery miles". It's coming with a years warranty from a Nissan dealer and so I'm pretty comfortable with this one.

It's a completely standard, unmolested MY2010 and so I was thinking that it's going to need ECU and gearbox updates, or should I not bother with it for now?

Phil

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunatley the optimisations will have timed out on the Nissan system so would now be down to the owner.
The first optimisation has a window of 0-9 months with the further 3 yearly ones done with a 2 month window either side of the date of registration.

hope this helps

John
Thanks for the insight John. I shall keep that in mind. I think they may be organising the optimisation as part of the deal anyway, but I just wanted to know in case it was left to me to deal with.

With a bit of luck I'll be collecting it at the end of this week.

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update.

Firstly, thanks John at Middlehurst for checking the chassis number and identify that it's due a recall for the steering lock and that there have been no warranty claims, which along with the service history just confirms that it's a genuinely little used garage queen.

Since collecting my car it's now passed the 1200 miles required for it's first optimisation and I've been trying to get it booked in somewhere local (Sorry John, thanks for your help but you're the wrong end of the country for me or I'd take to yourselves).

WLMG Mill Hill advised me to go the Nissan London West and I've been relentlessly trying to get in touch with Gilles over there. Last week I made no less than 8 phone calls throughout the week without a single call being returned. I persisted and eventually got to speak to him, whereupon he quotes £300 for an optimisation, keeping in mind it had just been serviced by WLMG and so it's an optimisation it requires and nothing else. I booked it in for last Wednesday 3rd Sept anyway, but then spoke to a few people about what was involved and the cost.

Firstly I had a chat with Litchfields (as I might be considering stage 1 or 2) and mentioned the cost of optimisation at Nissan London West, and they effectively offered to do it for approx. 1/2 the quoted NLW price, which although is much further from me in Hertfordshire it's still worth the cost in fuel to drive there and still save money. We also went through the service history and discussed what it had done and what it was possibly due although at 1200 miles on a four year old car we could probably not have to worry about pollen or air filters, etc, which would keep the cost down.

I had to go back to WLMG to collect a tax disc and discussed the cost of optimisation via NLW with them, and they suggested I talk to Nissan customer services and see if they might offer something, since this car has literally cost them nothing to date - no optimisations, warranty claims or recalls or anything. I've now been in touch with Nissan UK Customer Service and explained that I'd like to keep the service history bang-up-to-date within the Nissan HPC network, since the car is in 'as new' condition and it would seem appropriate to do so, however the added cost of £300 for each optimisation might be the straw that breaks the camels back, in which case I might as well give my car to an independent and not pay the premium required by the NHPC network along with the optimisations on top. I have to keep in mind that even though my car is like it recently rolled out of the showroom it's still 4 years old, out of warranty, and as each service falls due at 48 months and onwards the cost will continue to rise well beyond what a new car with 1200 miles would cost to service.

The initial response from Nissan UK has been sympathetic and whilst I'm waiting to see if Nissan UK will make any concessions to future optimisations given the unusual situation, I've tried to contact NLW to postpone the appointment, but once again having made 3 more calls to contact Gilles I've had to give up trying to use them. They simply don't answer the phone, don't pass on messages, don't return calls, and they are supposed to be Nissan's premium service centre for the London area. WLMG suggested that since Nissan took away WLMG's NHPC status that all their NHPC work has been dumped on NLW and they are now swamped. I can appreciate the situation but that's really not my problem. I've now missed the appointment without being able to contact them and they've not even called me to find out where I am or why I'm a no-show.

If I don't get anywhere with Nissan UK then I will most likely be giving Kaiser a call as I think they're probably my closest option and from what I read on here he has a good reputation, plus I like the idea that he works in collaboration with Litchfield.

I'll update this thread as things develop.

Phil

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
a MY2010 with 950 miles! wow thats lower than a lot of my14's! great find bud. I bet evogeof would have loved that one

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had my eye on that one but when I rang it sold 2 weeks prior :mad:
That sounds about right as I've had it two weeks today. :cool:

WLMG took it in on a Friday put it on autotrader straight away. I spotted it on the Saturday morning, called WLMG and they said they had a chap coming in later that day to test drive and if I wanted it I had better get down there quick (dealer tactic, perhaps). I got my butt down there, saw it and drove it. It looked like a new car, drove like a new car, had all the required history, so it was a no-brainer as far as I was concerned, since all the advertised MY2010 that I'd seen were modified and commanding a premium. I paid my deposit there and then and told them to cancel their afternoon appointment whilst I went off to get the finance that I'd already arranged on another car moved over to this one, and I picked it up the following Friday which was 2 weeks ago today.

Phil

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
That sounds about right as I've had it two weeks today. :cool:

WLMG took it in on a Friday put it on autotrader straight away. I spotted it on the Saturday morning, called WLMG and they said they had a chap coming in later that day to test drive and if I wanted it I had better get down there quick (dealer tactic, perhaps). I got my butt down there, saw it and drove it. It looked like a new car, drove like a new car, had all the required history, so it was a no-brainer as far as I was concerned, since all the advertised MY2010 that I'd seen were modified and commanding a premium. I paid my deposit there and then and told them to cancel their afternoon appointment whilst I went off to get the finance that I'd already arranged on another car moved over to this one, and I picked it up the following Friday which was 2 weeks ago today.

Phil
and you are now, one very happy chap!! congrats mate! :chuckle:

wait till its stage 2-4, even better mid-top end!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and you are now, one very happy chap!! congrats mate! :chuckle:
To say I'm happy is an understatement. Thanks.

wait till its stage 2-4, even better mid-top end!
I will most likely look at stage 1 in the near term. As it is I'm still getting my head around how these things get off the line, even without WOT.

I've had a lot of what regular folk would consider to be reasonably quick machines over the years, both bikes and cars. Yamaha R1 of various vintages, Kawasaki ZZR1400, Nissan 350Z, 370Z, Noble M12 GTO3, Lotus Elise Sport 190. As it happens none of these has really prepared me for what the GT-R delivers, all without a hint of fuss, bother, or wheel spin. Utterly brilliant.

Phil

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
To say I'm happy is an understatement. Thanks.

I will most likely look at stage 1 in the near term. As it is I'm still getting my head around how these things get off the line, even without WOT.

I've had a lot of what regular folk would consider to be reasonably quick machines over the years, both bikes and cars. Yamaha R1 of various vintages, Kawasaki ZZR1400, Nissan 350Z, 370Z, Noble M12 GTO3, Lotus Elise Sport 190. As it happens none of these has really prepared me for what the GT-R delivers, all without a hint of fuss, bother, or wheel spin. Utterly brilliant.

Phil
they certainly are mate, the power is so easily accessible, just give it a tap and you are off like an exocet missile! great fun that never get's boring! mine was stock and never launched when i bought it, drove it for a few months then went stage 4.. not because I needed any more power at the time, just because I got a good deal on the parts off here, so went for it.. now mid-top end is much better.. :chuckle:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update - Nissan have come back to me and have offered £100 toward optimisations. They said they could either tell NLW to discount it by £100 or I can have some vouchers to enable me to take my car to an alternative NHPC, since NLW haven't worked out how to operate a telephone yet.

Vouchers it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts