GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the story anway, I used to own a V6 calibra before buying the GTS and used to use there mailing list much the same as I do with this one.

Anyway a guy on there wanted to buy a skyline or a P1 and this is the theme of comments that followed afterwards, I don't believe them to be true so see what u think.

Also they quite upset me as most slagged are GTS off, but as I keep telling them it not a GTR but more an exec/family motor over in Japan, but they still think its a GTR and compare it as one or expect it to do the same.

So read all this and let us know your thoughts:-

No.1

A well-sorted Calibra turbo kicks the shit out of these 'mothers'.
With 300bhp, bloody good looks, it's got
Pace, space & grace.

None of the Jap cars can beat it, let alone pound for pound.

Sure, they're probably more reliable when pushed really hard.
But they can't match the Cally's 30 - 35 mpg, good looks and traction.
Every man and his dog is lusting after the Jap-rockits. Every spotty
teenager. Big deal...

The Calibra turbo with proper boost and front-mounted i/c is so much
more discreet and classy.

No.2

No - the scoobie's 4x4 was inferior to the calibra's - it took Subaru until 1999 or 2000 to go with the viscous coupling - vaux did it in 1992.

EVO's - can't comment, don't know enough. I like them anyway......but i'd still take one on - just for the hell of it. I'd certainly give a 260bhp one the fright of his life.

Porche 911 Turbo? Pah!! I'd sit at the lights, reving away then let him win - know when you is beat I say!

Any Beemer (cept M3) - no problem.

M3 - please let it be wet! Otherwise see porche 911.

John is right though - a calibra turbo, nicely modded to around 300bhp will spank pretty much anything, or at least give it a fright. People jump on the 'scoobie', 'evo' and dare i say Skyline bandwagon because of the supposed status of these jap cars. Much as I like them - they can still be tamed by a lowly vauxhall. Plus - how much would it cost for an EVO VI? Second hand and you're still talking shed loads. Save money, buy a late calibra turbo, whack a front mounted cooler on it - chip the shit out of it, increase the boost then feel the power fly through all 4 wheels as the turbo slams you in the back and throws you forward. Save more money - buy an earlier cally turbo. You could easily get 300bhp for about £5 - £6k including the car

Well thats some it, could go on for a while but read and see what u think.

Rich J

PS Sorry if I have taking up space with this thread.

·
Registered
211 Posts
U want to drive 300HP when it's ugly?

A 4WD has to carry a few extra HP to make speed.

I think I can beat the guy with my Volvo S60 without any trouble but it's about driving a nice car and I would rather drive a 200HP Skyline than a butt ugly 300HP or more Opel, it's still an Opel you know...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts exactly John, its all about driving with grace, class, and fun!!!:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
vauxhall rubbish

Rich J

If you're still a member of that vauxhall thread can you please post this:

1, If the 4wd calibra is so great, then why did vauxhall not take it rally and put all thoses evos and scoobies to shame, which surly they could of done if it is such a well sorted car!

2, Again if rally was'nt in keeping with vauxhalls image then why did they not take to the tracks of the then BTCC. They could have run a 4wd car like audi and taken the fight to the all conquering A4, but what does vauxhall do instead......protest, complain, try to get the audis banned, oh yes and lose!

rob

·
Registered
140 Posts
cheeers

Rich

Thanks for posting that, sorry about that little rant, but i rmember being very annoyed when vauxhall tried to get audi thrown out of btcc, especailly when they had a car which could have been homolgated for the rules. Still i imagme that will cause a bit of a stir amongst calibra owners. Its a good job i did'nt start on the road cars themselves!

rob

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't worry they are not aware of this site and I haven't told them so, its just pure arrogance of some ppl thats all that can't look at a car with out finding a fault. I know that makes us human, but still it doesn't take a big person to say yeah this car or that car is better.

I personnaly have always had a respect for the skyline and to own one no matter what model is a dream for me, but at the end of the day if money were no object than I'm sure all of us would be driving some different.

Then again I have never driven a GTR so can't really comment on them.

Sorry if it seemed as if I was starting a flame war but I was only intrested in if there was any truth in it or not as I don't believe there is myself. If u mod a certain and compare to another its not fair is u carry out the same mod on that other car it will still come out on top, horses for courses really.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Audi

C'mon Rob,

I know you allegiance to Audi - but they've got form. Don't forget that Audi were kicked out (or did they withdraw in shame) of the DTM for using illegal cams - back in days when 190's and E30 M3's were competing.

Talat.

·
Registered
140 Posts
audi rules!

talat

aahh yes! there was that bit of rule stretching, but heck no worse than other manufactures!...might i remind you that the GT-R/all current high power 4wd cars might not be here today if it was'nt for the forward thinking of a certain manufacturer...still enogh said i might have to sell the old dear! no room for it! all the best, see you soon

rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
A good friend had a 4X4 Calibra Turbo, he had non stop problems with it, he asked me to drive it to see if I could work out what was wrong with the handling, I decided it was the car generally! It was crap! He then bought a WRX and has never looked back, he is now thinking of buying a Skyline. I think some of these Calibra drivers should have a go in a GTR, I think they would get a shock!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Horses for Courses

I too had a V6 Calibra before my GTR. I thought it was a good car for what it was... a long distance tourer. It did what it was supposed to do and never let me down. But the GTR is in a different league.

If I remember rightly, there were no end of posts on the Club Calibra site from 4x4 Turbo owners complaining about the 'crap' transfer box, with aftermarket dealers doing a roaring trade in reconditioned ones. The concensus was that Vauxhall were complete novices in the 4x4 game.

They are quick but underneath they are just a Cavalier. I still love the basic Calibra shape and just imagine a GTR with a Cd of 0.26, now that would fly.....

Vincenzo

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well yeah as u know the calibra and cav transfer box needs the exact tyre pressures and equal tread on each tyre other wise they will fail, and this is well known and a problem vauxhall knew of!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Transfer box

This was/is a well known problem with a 4wd calibra - as an ex DTM owner myself - I recall that the general opinion was to replace all 4 tyres at the same time or face an £8000 transfer box replacement - the only other most expensive "vauxhall" rebuild was a Lotos Carlton gearbox rebuild at a reputed £11000 - as they have to come from getrag in germany

Also the only component - for any car (inc. Ferraris) that my warranty did not cover was - can you guess - thats right - a transfer box on a calibra turbo!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
All car magazines I have ever read say that the Calibra is rubbish, especially the 4*4. An owner wrote into Evo sayimg he thought it was as good as some things they had tested, they simply wrote back "The Calibra is in our minds a very poor car and does not stand comparison" or words to that effect!! If it was as good as these people say then it would be renowned and it simply isn't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts