GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in a magazine that the R32 gtr skylines "real" power outputs exceeded the officail claimed power output of 280 hp but it did not mention what the actual power was. Can anyone help me out on this?

B

·
0 Posts
it's true the rb26dett does more than
206ps it has about 310 flywheel hp to be said.

B

·
0 Posts
310 as they say from flywheel though.
326 is a bit high don't you think.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i think blowdog is right!
i always thought it was 320 !

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
It depends... BadM, the quoted power was never 206ps - from where did you detirmine that figure?

I think earlier cars produced about 300bhp, R33 GTR's produced about 310, and I think V-Specs produced about 320bhp (different restricter I think), and I think a stock R34 V spec was dynoed at 326 bhp. All figures at the flywheel not the wheels.

·
Registered
961 Posts
320 flywheel
that is a shame, is that 280 ish at wheels then!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Surely the wheel figures are higher than 206? I know that rolling roads all vary, etc, but when I had my Calibra (ahem) on the RR at Power Engineering it managed 198bhp at the wheels, 255 corrected/estimated at the flywheel, and it was a very hot engine on a hot day and suffering from heat soak.

OK so it's not got 4 wheel drive so transmission losses will be less but I'd expect even a standard GTR to have more power at the wheels than my car (which admittedly isn't standard).

Surely?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I think you'll find that power at the wheels isn't much above 200 with a stock car (I certainly don't think it'll be as much as 250bhp). But its worth remember a RR @ the wheels figure isn't that accurate for a skyline as on the road most of the time on the road the GTR runs as 2wd, so less transmission losses.

Still I'm sure someone can tell us the standard [email protected]

·
Registered
905 Posts
The 280 Limit is only a Gentlemans agreement with the Japanese Government and their Car Manufacturers anyway, has anyone actually dynoed a standard car ?

Si

·
Registered
961 Posts
hears a thought does anyone put more air in there tyres for the RR would this make a difference!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Sorry, I seem to have waffled on a bit ...

I think you'll find that power at the wheels isn't much above 200 with a stock car (I certainly don't think it'll be as much as 250bhp).
That has surprised me, actually. I know that virtually nobody leaves a GTR stock but going on what you said, it would suggest that a stock GTR would actually be slower in a straight line than my own car (with ~200 at the wheels, at least 200 kg less weight than an R33 and lower aerodynamic drag). I never regarded my car in the Skyline league! Admittedly, that's not counting for traction (I often can't use full power until approx 50mph in the dry), handling (mine is crap) and as soon as a GTR is modded even slightly it's a very different beast.
But its worth remember a RR @ the wheels figure isn't that accurate for a skyline as on the road most of the time on the road the GTR runs as 2wd, so less transmission losses.
True, that would be quite a significant factor. When I was at Power Engineering, there was an Evo 5 there that they measured at 316 bhp but only 220 at the wheels - 60bhp more than mine at the flywheel but only 20 more at the wheels, the rest being soaked up in his 4 wheel drive system. At least it meant that he could get all of it onto the tarmac, I guess.

He took me out for a spin in it - I thought it was going to scare me but it didn't feel anything like as quick as I thought it would (that's the trouble when people rave about things, you expect them to be better than they turn out to be); it didn't feel all that much different from my own car (judging by the rate the speedo needle was moving).

Maybe my car is more of a street sleeper than I thought :rolleyes: (even if it wouldn't hold a candle to your beasts here, which is one reason I want a GTR.:D)

So the burning question is ... when the Skyline GTR is operating in RWD, how do the transmission losses compare to those of a Skyline GTS (without the 4WD mechanism) that is tuned to give the same power and torque? Just academic interest, I'm not looking for a GTS.

B

·
0 Posts
okay for some reason they put that skyline's are putting out 206kw which i'm sure it mean's 280hp, i read that it has 206 in nissan's japanese website i don't know i just think nissan is wrong cause the car doesn't have 200hp right or maybe polarbear is just wrong.hehe:smokin:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
BadMuthaR34 said:
maybe polarbear is just wrong.hehe:smokin:
I guess that skyline outside is a figment of my imagination then ;):rolleyes:

Kingsley, I think its worth trying a skyline - Dyno figures are fairly meaningless most 4wd cars loose ~100bhp between fly and wheels.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
polarbearit

Kingsley, I think its worth trying a skyline - Dyno figures are fairly meaningless most 4wd cars loose ~100bhp between fly and wheels.
I'd love to try one, in fact I think spending that much money on a car would be a bit silly without having driven one first.

My main problem is how to get to drive one - I can quite understand that most (if not all) people on this forum would be unlikely to let me drive theirs (er, I have clean licence, full NCD, etc etc ... :rolleyes: )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts