GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.

with my recent plans to move to a ecu that doesnt require Air Flow Meters, im wondering my options.

MOST people use a MAP sensor (usually 2 sensors.. why?) based Power FC D-jetro....

but is there any reason why someone would NOT want to get rid of the maf's?
(other than cost?)

and also, anyone know any other ECU's that work well with MAP and not AFMs?

and thirdly... is there ANY other alternative at all? or is it striclty.. MAP Vs. MAF?

thanks,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Before you choose an ECU, talk to your tuner and see what they recommend. At the end of the day they willl be tuning the ECU. You would want to buy an ECU he knows how to use.

That said, there are a lot of MAP ECU's out there. Haltech, Vipec (Link), Motech, Wolf, etc..

The reason I went MAP is due the failing AFM's and the restrictions they put on the car.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have spoken with my tuner.
he`s a Nissan expert and told me, he can tune anything.

that being said.

i want a ECU that uses MAP sensors...(2 of them) and also takes into account IAT (intake air temp)... can any of you reccomend a really solid A/M ECU which meets those qualifications?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good to hear, Haltech Platinum Sports 2000 will do the job. Has a heap of other features too pm me if you want more details etc.. im running one on my R33

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I like MAF systems because you're not estimating the amount of air in the system, you know it for a fact because you directly measured it and the MAFs automatically compensate for temperature and do not need recalibration for variance in barometric pressure.

If you're teaching yourself how to map, then MAFs are the easy way to go. But if you already know how to do a MAP map and know the idiosyncrasies of the engine type you're mapping, then that's fine too. The main benefit of MAP systems is eliminating intake flow restriction that's caused by MAF sensors.

As for other metering systems, there's alpha-n (air measured by engine RPM, throttle butterfly ANGLE, IAT and ambient barometric pressure). Used on BMWs. Sucks for forced induction IMHO. I don't understand new fangled technology designed to guess what the air mass is, when you can just measure it directly??

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
The biggest problem with running without AFM's is the tiny volume of air you will be measuring the pressure of. You need to look into that 1st.

AFM's take into account air humidity, where as MAP can't. Generally, AFM's are the more accurate option.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the main reason i want to get as far away from AFM's as possible... is due largely to how many effing posts i read every day about people having
1) a boost leak causing their car to run horribley
2) a fult MAF sensor!

both those issues can be averted by going to a MAP based system... i know i can still get boost leaks but it won't make the car un-driveable ...
that being said.. if a boost leak occurs in a MAP sensor system.. is there a possiblity that the turbos will overboost, and say explode off the exhuast wheels (in the case of ceramic R32 stock turbo)>?'

and you all seem to be saying the main reason to say away from MAP.. is due to how innacurate it is at measuring the air...or how tough it is to tune...
the tuner i will use has done pretty much every car in QC thats been tuned. and he`s reknowned for never having anything but perfection. so im not worried about that.

but really what ECu is the best for a MAP based system, assuming the tuner can handle it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts