GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe this is the wrong place to post this but i thought it would be more appreciated here.

dvla sent me a letter alleging i drove and kept my car untaxed last 5th of feb in Prudhoe (somewhere in Newcastle upon Tyne, 350miles away from where i live :eek::eek::eek:) i was in uni that day and at work in the evening. it is impossible for me to be there plus the fact that the 32 is not driveable due to tuning issues and needs a remap. i definitely did not use my car. i dont think a reasonable person would drive an untaxed car for 700miles back and forth :chairshot they are asking me to pay out of court fine of £150 :runaway::eek::flame:

i now wonder. has any skyline been stolen recently?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Ask for a photo of the offending car / plate.

Friend has a similar thing, drives a Red Seat Leon, photo came back was a Silver VW Passat with similar registration and whoever deals with these things mistook an F for an E due to dirty plate.

You would hope someone would enter it and see details stating 'Red / Seat / Leon' and look at the photo and see 'Silver / VW / Passat' and somewhere along the lines recognise its not quite right but sadly this is a government run business.

·
Super Moderator
16,092 Posts
Yep, letter stating it could NOT have been you and why. I am not sure I'd even bother asking for a photo, although you could invite them to send one if they wish. It's all automated in the initial send out, but a person will read your response.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it was sorn during the alleged date until present Mook.

i will send them a letter contesting/denying the allegation. it should be them to prove that im guilty. however, i will definitely ask for a photo of the car. i also asked bob to provide me a letter that my car is still undriveable and requires tuning, therefore cannot be driven at all. he is happpy to provide that for me.

i think it is also possible that my vrn was copied and used to cover a stolen car for deceit?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, letter stating it could NOT have been you and why. I am not sure I'd even bother asking for a photo, although you could invite them to send one if they wish. It's all automated in the initial send out, but a person will read your response.
^^This^^. Had the same recently with a SORN'd Stagea that's been in about a million bits for 2yrs. Quick letter explaining situation and asking for a photo and got letter back saying there had been an 'administrative error'. Actually wanted the photo to see what car it was. Was hoping for a Micra or similar...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your cars registration number has probably been captured on an ANPR camera in Prudhoe. Possibly on a cloned similar car, or just one bearing your registration number on a false plate. Just contest it and if it wasn't your car you should have nothing to worry about. These cameras are all over the country so the DVLA should be able to do some further research to prove that the number is only popping up in the North East and nowhere near where your car is off road and located in the South.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
A girl at work received a letter with a photo showing a car with her reg in a bus lane. Her car is a purple Vauxhall Adam, the car in the photo was a white BMW with exactly the same plate. A couple of phone calls sorted it quite quickly.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^This^^. Had the same recently with a SORN'd Stagea that's been in about a million bits for 2yrs. Quick letter explaining situation and asking for a photo and got letter back saying there had been an 'administrative error'. Actually wanted the photo to see what car it was. Was hoping for a Micra or similar...
the asked for a photo of the accused? im actually reluctant of giving the evidence as they should prove the alleged offence.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A girl at work received a letter with a photo showing a car with her reg in a bus lane. Her car is a purple Vauxhall Adam, the car in the photo was a white BMW with exactly the same plate. A couple of phone calls sorted it quite quickly.
weird. i tried to ring tue number provided but it was automated askin for payment as i thought i can enquire the allegation. :chairshot

·
Registered
67 Posts
the asked for a photo of the accused? im actually reluctant of giving the evidence as they should prove the alleged offence.
Nah, it was me wanting their photo evidence to disprove their claim.

·
Super Moderator
16,092 Posts
weird. i tried to ring tue number provided but it was automated askin for payment as i thought i can enquire the allegation. :chairshot
Forget ringing them - you can't. Only way you can do this is by letter (voice of experience!) I successfully contested a fine only last year (in my case a question of when I notified of change of ownership, but same principle).

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forget ringing them - you can't. Only way you can do this is by letter (voice of experience!) I successfully contested a fine only last year (in my case a question of when I notified of change of ownership, but same principle).
its actually true. i havent drafted my letter yet. im waitig for my attendance cert from uni and the letter from bobs =)

·
Registered
678 Posts
I had the same with an mr2 I had sold a year previous to getting the fine for driving through a toll road, I rang the guy I sold the car to to have a go and he told me the car is parked in his garage with the engine removed the last six months. I rang the toll company and they just said ok forget about it basically

1 - 15 of 15 Posts