GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
For you guys that have upgraded the stock rear diff with the Nismo 8kgfm or 12kgfm plate kit would you recommend it for a street driven car?

I'm looking at ordering a few bits & seeing as though its still only £125 I was going to go for the 8kgfm version.

Or as my car will be 90% street driven will I be better just re-ordering the stock plates/shims to tighten it up a little bit?

When turning at slow speed on full lock the stock diff will lock up slightly, I guess it would make this worse?

·
Registered
272 Posts
For you guys that have upgraded the stock rear diff with the Nismo 8kgfm or 12kgfm plate kit would you recommend it for a street driven car?

I'm looking at ordering a few bits & seeing as though its still only £125 I was going to go for the 8kgfm version.

Or as my car will be 90% street driven will I be better just re-ordering the stock plates/shims to tighten it up a little bit?

When turning at slow speed on full lock the stock diff will lock up slightly, I guess it would make this worse?

I have the 8kg, and it is very street friendly.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Thanks for that any more opinions?

I guess long term I would probably eventually get a 1.5 way but for now this seems like a nice cheap upgrade!
Hi mate,

Just a word of warning, I ordered the 8Kg kit and was unable to get it to fit. It appears that it's about 1mm short of being under the correct preload. Obviously you could get spacers machine, but if you want a faff free install I'd go for the 12Kg kit which apparently fits without modification.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi mate,

Just a word of warning, I ordered the 8Kg kit and was unable to get it to fit. It appears that it's about 1mm short of being under the correct preload. Obviously you could get spacers machine, but if you want a faff free install I'd go for the 12Kg kit which apparently fits without modification.
Thanks for that, you have saved me some potential trouble there then!

Although due to Brexit I put off buying the parts as they all went up 25% :(

So not sure when I will go ahead now as I wasn't in a particular rush seeing as though my car is still just a shell at the moment!

·
Registered
71 Posts
What diff

Hello guys
So just read this and nobody other than Younus
Has expressed a view on what diff
I'm looking mostly track time but obviously drive there and about
Anything to compare guys ?
Cheers Geoff

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
ATS Carbon. Very quiet, no knocks or thumps. Have front and rear in mine and the steering is like normal at low speeds.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hello guys
So just read this and nobody other than Younus
Has expressed a view on what diff
I'm looking mostly track time but obviously drive there and about
Anything to compare guys ?
Cheers Geoff

I have Nismo 8kg in stock housing and love it. For normal driving the only time I notice that the diff is no longer stock is when I have full lock in parking lots, gravel etc - It then locks up a little but not bad at all.

Traction is very good, no noise and a cheap and simple upgrade. I guess the 12KG version may be better for a high power track car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but after much searching this seems to be the best thread on the topic I have found so far.

I have Nismo 8kg in stock housing and love it. For normal driving the only time I notice that the diff is no longer stock is when I have full lock in parking lots, gravel etc - It then locks up a little but not bad at all.

Traction is very good, no noise and a cheap and simple upgrade. I guess the 12KG version may be better for a high power track car.
Did you find the 8kg kit fit into the housing with no issues or did it require spacers?

If anybody else has experience with running either the 8kg or 12kg kits I would love to hear what they are like, Do they ever do any harsh clunking like lots of aftermarket diffs are known to do? Do they ever not lock up or take some persuasion to lock up? And maybe most importantly how long have they lasted?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I had the 12kg nismo plates fitted to my stock rear diff. I didn't bed the plates in especially diligently so it is a little clonky when coasting round tight bends but not a worry.

I finally got a chance to give it some abuse yesterday and it is very predictable, a bit more lift off oversteer than before, a bit more initial power on understeer, and generally a tiny bit less willing to on turn in initially (my car is set up quite pointy).

Basically all as you'd expect from a 2 way. I softened the rear dampers a bit to moderate the lift off oversteer as it was a bit much in the wet.

In full rwd mode the car is a drift machine, pretty controllable but too crazy for the road imo. With 4wd enabled it's fairy docile if you don't poke it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Based on our experiences, id say the expensive diffs are quite a waste unless adjustability is wanted..

Im a bit surprised you have lift off oversteer though, didnt see that coming from a diff, and its something my car never does.. Our setups are probably quite different though, and I take it from your avatar you have a 32, whereas I have a 33..

But bottom line, this is one great cheap upgrade :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Can you mix different manufacturers differentials?

Can l use a ATS carbon 1.5way rear with a Nismo 1.5way front diff?
Absolutely!!

Its the diff ratios that are important and that's dictated by the crownwheel and pinion selection.

Brand/type of LSD is unimportant in that respect and is down to personal choice.

TT

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks TT

Got both nismo front and rear arriving and a bit worried they will be a bit clunky.
Would seem Supertec has got his front to run smoothly but still has a clunky rear.

Thus the reason to possibly putting a ATS in the rear.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
Motul 90pa helps a great deal as it has friction modifiers. In this cold weather it will clunk a bit until it warms up then it***8217;s fine. In summer less time to warm up or if really hot it***8217;s smooth from the get go.

Make sure you go though a bedding in procedure figure if 8 for around 10-15 mins. Drain oil and fill with fresh.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts