GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone im new to the skyline world and need a bit of help

ive just bought a gtr32 1990 and when cornering at slow speeds to inside rear wheel skips like the diff isn't working correctly?

and also when pulling away straight the torque to the front wheels seems to shoot straight to the top on the gauge is this normal?

Any help would be greatly apreciated
Nick

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Sounds an aftermarket LSD in the rear. Much more preload than standard diff - hence the inside wheel trying to turn at the same speed as the outside and skipping.

When you say pulling away do you mean slow or drag start?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure about after market diff guy said that it had only just started doing it?

and only when pulling away slowly and traveling at walking pace the gauge flies up to max?

thanks for you imput
nick

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The diff issue sound like an uprated LSD as lightspeed said. Probably the bloke only just started noticing it recently. I always hear loads of wierd noises from cars that I'm about to sell, I think it's just me being paranoid that they'll break before I sell it on.

Re. the torque meter, are the tyres the same sizes front and rear, (check on the sidewall for the measurements, they want to be the same all the way round)? Are the rears heavily worn?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
sky's the limit said:
but on the inner edge ones down to the canvas:(
Well that doesn't sound good for a start. :D

Not sure how much you know about the 4wd system on the R32, (if very little then do a search, perhaps including tyres size in the search), but different tyre sizes front and rear will affect the way it operates.

Normally it'll send torque forwards when it senses the rears rotating faster than the fronts, (either wheelspin or smaller rear tyres which rotate faster that the larger fronts at a given speed). If the rears are heavily worn, (or a smaller rolling radius due to sizing), then torque will be transferred forwards pretty much all the time.

Could be worth switching the fronts and rears to see if the problem persists, but you can probably avoid this by checking what I said before:

are the tyres the same sizes front and rear, (check on the sidewall for the measurements, they want to be the same all the way round)? Are the rears heavily worn? *
* in relation to the fronts

If the torque meter is really pinging up though, there could be some form of aftermarket 4wd controller fitted, have you got any wierd looking electronical boxes with little dials and buttons on them stuck in the cockpit?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Funny enough, my rear diff does this and i have been told it is an aftermarket one, but what make it is i dont know. (Driven by option motorsport) Doesnt skip ALL the time, just when pulling away normally (sounds like rear wheels are spinning). Pull away hard and it grips like hell!

·
Registered
6 Posts
if it is a lsd and some one has changed the diff oil latley and not replaced the oil with proper lsd oil then this will also cause the symptoms you describing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts