GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps,

Not really electronics but electrical none the less.

My rear fog lights are set up so both of the inner rear lights come on, I have noticed however, that a lot of other cars have both of their rear lights on Ie all 4, I was wondering if the fog light part is a bit like the brake light on the outer ones ?

twin element bulb or whatever.
could I frig it so that I have all four rear lights on then the brakes on the outer and the fog on the inner ??

I have not looked at the rear lightbulbs so it may be that the bulbs are blown or something like that.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Steve,

You may find that cars with all four rear lights breaking have a separate rear fog light fitted. Middlehurst did this as standard using a "Halfords special" in a small housing on the rear bumper.

Other cars without rear fogs may not have been required for MOT yet. In Japan fog lights are not mandatory so, depending on the SVA tester it may have slipped through but will require some work prior to MOT.

It is possible to have all four lights breaking when the fog lights are off and the outer tqwo only when the fog lights are on. It's not a straightforward cut-and-splice wiring job but isn't too complex. When I get around to it (Q2) I'm goping to be doing this to my R33 so will let you know how I get on.

John

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John,

It looks like they did the quick fix on mine as there is a fog light switch but it operates both inner lights.

I shall have it in bits this weekend so it'll probably never work again !!

If I find a way to do it I'll post you the info...

My car is going to the garage this week as the alarm is pissing about on me. It seems to be a time for the alarms to go up the spout at the moment, judging by the amount of problems being posted.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Hi Steve
Mine has all the rear lites working both as tail and brake lites.
The importers used one of the rev lites and coloured the lens which is perfectly legal as long as its the O/S one.
Hope this helps
Best regards Alan :D

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Slightly different!

In fact mine has had a slightly different ammendment done to itthan what Alan has had done. Insted of the lense being coloured red mine is white/clear still with a red bulb added . So the back lights looks the same on each side (as factory).

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Red bulb?

Now that i've converted my off-side reversing light to a fog light and removed the red brick from under the bumper can anyone tell me where to get a red bulb?

I've gone with the old trick of a couple of coats of metalic red Humbrol enamel (not stirred of course), which is ok but a bit pink for my liking.
The metalic green was always great for green dash bulbs when I was younger and....er, driving Minis & Marinas etc. Ahem, moving on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Moschops!

...Blimey this thread is nearly a year old! Just goes to show the good old search engine still holds the key to all things Skyline.

Back to your question , I'm not entirely sure. I will take a loook and see if mines painted or red glass. Where to buy is another question but there must be somewhere that does them.

...Ian

·
Registered
241 Posts
try a local dealer, like vauxhall or ford, they have some bulbs that are colored, as some cars now have clear rear clusters, and the bubles are colored.

Failing that, then you may be able to get one from
www.speeding.co.uk

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I was showing Ben (cipher) my car last night as I was surprised to find that when you press the fog light switch when the lights are off the foglights (brake lights) come on as well as all of the parking lights.
Clever.

·
Registered
241 Posts
yeah, first time I had seen that on a car too.

Cool idea.

I used to drive a Pug van were the fog light went off auto when you turned the lights off. It actually turned the switch for the rear fogs, so they stayed off.

Thought that was cool too.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was considering getting the fog lights from a Nissan Previa which are mounted in it's rear bumper and fitting them into mine and using all of my rear lights as tail/brake lights.

The fog lights on the Previa have a surround on them so that you would cut out the hole in your bumper, fit the surround and then fit the fog light into the surrround, should make for a neat job. I first thought of this after seeing Keiths GTR at Knockhill, the foglight in his bumper looks like the one off a Previa and looks good.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I never even thought about the Motormania places. Halfords only had amber bulbs.

These LED lights look just the job but I don't know if they are available over here.

(I guess we're not supposed to embed images here?)

Next stop MotorManiaWorldTypePlace then.

Thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Fog lights and Switches

There seems to be a variety of solutions to the fog light type and position.

Does anybody know theSVA rules for the position of the fog light, bightness etc?

Also where can i get a switch that will fit one of the switch positions in the centre console?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts