GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
I am about to replace my rear pads by myself.:lamer:
Are there any special hints to do this or it is just standard as on any other car?
Does the caliper need to be dismounted or it doesn't need to be touched?
I have replaced the pads many times on my motorbikes and some other cars (not sofisticated as GTR though).
I remember there was some guide with pictures on the forum, but for the fronts I think...
Thanx in advance:thumbsup:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
127 Posts
SuzaFan

How did you get on? was it easy as it looked in the GTR Heritage link? I need to change my front and rear Brakes and Disc's not sure which setup to go with.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Its a doddle....takes longer to get the wheel off:thumbsup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Changed my front and rear pads and discs on Sunday for slotted Performance Friction discs and Ferrodo Racing pads. It was really easy as stated taking the wheels off took most of the time and drivers side retaining pins were a bit tight but wire brush and wd40 sorted that.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanx...Do you use the original Nissan jack to lift the car or?
I don't have this jack and the one that I have doesn't go beneath the car...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I didnt get a jack with the car but i have a trolley jack that fits under that i had for years. I would not use a standard car jack that comes with any car they are fine for a quick wheel change but not for changing pads or discs.
You need to make sure you use the correct jacking points and be careful where you put an axle stand.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Buy yourself a trolley jack SuzaFan.

My mechanic fitted new front and rear pads to my car last week, took him 6 hours but he's very fussy and cleans everything, removed front discs and cleaned hub surface which cured the low speed clicking, and what ever he did to the rear's has cured the rattling pads which the car had since new, although he didn't bend the springs. Used Bendix Titaniumetallic pads at 165 quid all in, very pleased with their performance so far.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have the trolley jack, but id doesn't go beneath, side skirt is too low...
I'll see, maybe I'll have it lifted in some professionall garage...
I have never used an axle stand on any car while changing wheels (summer/winter) or brakes...
I just lifted it with the jack (provided with the car) and sometimes secured it with the trolley jack...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered that rubber/plastic part on ebay for the trolley to fit GTR jacking points...
I will drive the car onto some wooden plank or something, so the side skirt will not be too low for my trolley jack anymore hopefully...
Axle stand is not necessary I guess...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Always handy if the jack fails, I used to use concrete blocks but don't get my hands dirty anymore :) always have a secondary support mate.

A local guy was killed back along when his jack failed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts