GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am currently looking at buying a r35 gtr and have seen one where in the last MOT the minor advisory was ‘rear subframe corroded, covers in way unable to check fully’. I know this is a common issue on the r35 and this car is a 2009. The seller claimed it was a pinhole and was repaired with a welding job. I rang Litchfield, SVR and they both said that the proper way to repair it is to replace the rear subframe or take it off and seal and treat it if it isn’t to bad. They also said if it was a minor last time then will be a major this time and will not pass MOT. The car has not been anywhere near a seaside during its ownership. Has anyone experienced anything similar ? How much did it cost ? And any advice? The rest of the car seems nice.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I’ve alreafy put a1k deposit but you may be right as I may lose my job too. Do you mean because of coronavirus? I was thinking that but thought people may hold off selling their car until it’s over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha you are probably right. The car otherwise was decent, few owners, fsh, 43k, stage 4, grey, 2009 for £31k so it is a very tough decision. And already put a £1k deposit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello all

I am currently looking at buying a r35 gtr and have seen one where in the last MOT the minor advisory was ‘rear subframe corroded, covers in way unable to check fully’. I know this is a common issue on the r35 and this car is a 2009. The seller claimed it was a pinhole and was repaired with a welding job. I rang Litchfield, SVR and they both said that the proper way to repair it is to replace the rear subframe or take it off and seal and treat it if it isn’t to bad. They also said if it was a minor last time then will be a major this time and will not pass MOT. The car has not been anywhere near a seaside during its ownership. Has anyone experienced anything similar ? How much did it cost ? And any advice? The rest of the car seems nice.

Thanks

Mine is “thin” and will probably need replaced in a year. Dealer quoted £1600 for the part.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Plenty of subframes for sale, a good days work to swap it all out though.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Have you checked the rest of the underside of the car as well? Up on a ramp and undertrays off? If not, worth doing before you hand over your cash :cautious:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Best bet is to get a used subframe, take it and have it blasted and painted.

It’s probably around £1250 to do a decent job if all the other parts are ok.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That’s about right. On eBay a used subframe is £500 and labour of coating and replacing is about £800. Getting the car for 31k, stage 4, 40k on clock, grey so nice spec otherwise and price good too

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I’ve sold around 12 subframes purely based on the rot situation, I always try to keep 1/2 around me as you never know when ones required.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you have plenty in stock? I’m going to see what works out better because there is another one which is very well looked after but I suppose the subframe issue occur on any GTR !!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The only one I would’nt buy is one that’s been painted already as you don’t know it’s pre state condition.

If you plan on keeping it for many years put a brand new one on, the only difference will be the price difference of the subframes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts