GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the approximate cost of an RB26 engine rebuild?
a) Standard
b) Mildly uprated
c) Wild

Also what's the approx. cost of a 5 speed gearbox rebuild?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I doubt anyone who really knows the cost would post it here, but to get a good idea look through the websites at the price of parts and then work it out on a basis of £50 per hour.

I have heard numbers ranging between 5k to 35k depending what you do.

you can buy yourself a complete RB26 for about 3k if I remember rightly. (unmodified)

be a nice project, to build in the shed then get the transplant done by someone with the right tools for the job.

/Steve

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Rebuild

£5k, £10k, £35k

Really it's best to treat highly modified engines and gearboxes as consumables, much like brakepads or oil...........

Guy

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

You'll see I'm fairly new to this board. I'm living abroad at the moment and thinking about getting an R32 for when I return to the UK some time early next year. I saw a nice modified R32 for sale at Jap Village. Tuned by MCR - Matchless Crowd Racing (anyone know anything about this bunch? Their R34 looks damn quick) - looked like for circuit use with cage,Enkei RP01 9.5x17's, Apex N1 suspension, Apex GT intercooler, ATS diff, upgraded radiator, Greddy oil cooler kit, HKS hard pipes and induction etc etc. I couldn't get back to the UK to view it for a month or so I put the idea on hold. Check the web site today and the price is halved - only 6k but with motor for rebuild. Anway to cut a long story short - someone has bought the motor and a whole load of the goodies so it's mainly just a std. GTR with a busted motor. So I'm not buying it with most of the goodies gone.

I'll put the plan on hold for now - anyone know of a good importer who can find me a 450-500hp R32 in Japan for reasonable money?
I don't mind a slightly tired car as I'm a very competant mechanic (head swells). Other option would be to get a nice std R32 and a salvage tuned car and build my own 500hp godzilla

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leigh - are you some sort of crazy blind old guy standing in the swirling mists on the moor????

No seriously -
Leigh - thanks - I've worked that one out having seen what happened to a potentially very nice car.

·
Registered
709 Posts
JAPVILLAGE

I've been to the website and I'm tempted by the black R32 with the broken motor/box - geezer reckons it's a grade 4 but I'm gonna go down at the weekend and have a poke around. If you've had 'any' experiences with Japvillage can you please PM me so that I know what to expect.

Cheers,

Talat.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Jap Village

As per any firm, if anyone is interested in advice over quality, then ask for pm's, that way any negative comments can be received without exposing the board to any legal risks over 'slander or libel'.

We are always watchful about comments that could give rise to legal challenges against the board. If they can be validated with facts then they are of course OK.

You will of course read comments from the satisfied customers of many firms, if there are no positive comments on a firm under consideration and lots of people have used then, then read into that what you will.

Guy

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Slander

I have edited a couple of the posts here as this site cannot be seen to be condoning possible slanderous comments of any kind.

We cannot monitor this site 24hrs a day and therefore have acted in an appropriate/professional manner as soon as possible.

glen.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Slander / Moderation

I understand the need for moderation, and this board is the best moderated I have seen - I am yet to see any moderation I disagree with.

But...

I would request that we (you) do not take this too far and end up with the 'mau-ist' style of moderation they like to use on Scoobynet.

(Obviously this is only my opinion, I wouldn't want Scoobynet to sue gtr.co.uk) ;)

After all, stating your opinion is not 'slander' and neither is stating fact.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not complaing, it's just that I like it here and I dont want it to go the same way as SN.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I dont mind the site being moderated they have had problems over on the 300ZX forum. But all my comments can be backed up with documentary evidence.

I can even send you the original emails from JAPVILLAGE regarding the age of my old 300ZX, and then an Excel file from the 300ZX Australian owners club listing all the JAP chassis numbers and year of build!!!

Leigh

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Moderation

Yep I agree with you both in principle and can understand that you are caring for other members on here. Thats the spirit of what this is all about :) .

But you can voice your opinions/experiences, and more, in PM's/emails, therefore negating the need for any moderation.

Lets face it we would never allow someone to come on here and put up a thread saying "ABCYZ SALES ARE CRAP". Therefore if someone asks what ABCYZ are like then the PM's/emails are the best step forward for all.

It's a thin line to walk unfortunately, and as Cem is away Guy and myself are just being cautious till he comes back ;) .

See Ya.

glen

·
Registered
520 Posts
Fairy Snuff.

Better safe than sorry. :D

Ps. I used ABCYZ and their sales service was faultless. :D :p

S

·
0 Posts
No Problem :)

If anyone wishes to know how a certain company in Horsham treated me then a PM is all you need.

No disrepect, no tall stories.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts