GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a R33 GTR here down on compression on the 3rd cylinder.

Car was running 480ish bhp and has twin top mount TD05 18g turbos, waste gate, PFC d-jetro.

Id like around 600 bhp but a reliable 600!

I want to build this once and once only.

What will i need, Forged pistons id like.

Rods be needed or what power/reliability do the stock ones provide?

Standard head gasket power rating? Upgrade to metal head gasket?

What bearings?

New oil and water pumps will be on the list

Head bolts needed?

Timing belt and all associated bits

Bigger injectors as well to run 600ish?

All input appreciated

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
There will always be an argument over what parts to use or which tuner should get the job lol there was a thread a couple of weeks ago about just that. Have a look at my project thread and you may get some ideas for your engine build.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/196881-better-late-than-never.html

Yes definitely go for a metal gasket. As for bearings you cannot go wrong with either Nismo or Tomei or power enterprise black f1 if you have money to burn. Pistons and rods cost me good part of almost 1200 but then again I did go for Tomie for both. While your at it I would defo recommend cams maybe a tonier type A or B. You will need a set of -5 turbos. Maybe a set of HPI outlets too. Arp rod bolts are good to use. Oil pump and water pump yes go for for N1 if you want std size sump and consider looking into spline drive for reliability on the oil pump side.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Assume you're still going to keep your current turbos?

For the bottom end I'd go with:

Forged rods
Forged pistons
Extended sump
Tomei oil pump
ATI crank damper
Nismo bearings

Have it all balanced properly

I'd want a metal head gasket too

May be worth giving the head a refresh too whilst the engines out and doing the oil gallery mod

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers lads, i know only too well about which engine builder or tuner ect, at this moment that is'nt an issue.

Ideally its just to make sure its done right first time without needlessly firing money into the engine thats not needed, it wont be a open ended money pit rebuild, it will be a tight enough €5000 euro maximum all in built and mapped in an ideal world.

Im keeping the TD05 18G turbo setup, i recently sold a R33 GTR with HKS Cams and cam gears, standard engine internals that had a pair of HKS GT25-10's and found it really bad lag wise, was a demon to go in 4th and 5th but id prefer a car that was plenty of fun in lower gears (not many 4th and 5th gear roads you can play on)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Hey, make sure you shop around for the parts, you will find bargains if you look around.

Go for a piston+rod package which you can buy from ebay usa.

- Wiseco/CP/JE pistons with Eagle/Manley rods (cheaper to buy the piston+rod package)

- Multi layer steel headgasket (cosworth, hks, tomei)

- Tomei oil restrictor

- N1 Oil pump (or upgrade to Jun,Tomei etc with extended sump kit)

- Tomei sump baffle (if using N1/oem pump)

-Bearings ( ACL, OEM, Nismo, King etc. Your choice, speak to your engine builder, I went with Power Enterprise F1 Black bearings as they have more sizes than oem and are better than all the rest)

-Oem quality timing belt kit

- Drop in cams hks,tomei etc

- aftermarket crank damper

- Head port job? If you can have it done on a budget or do it yourself :)

Honestly look around for parts, you will be suprised at what's out there! Some ebay usa sellers offer huge discounts on bulk purchases. Get your pistons and rods from usa they will be alot cheaper than UK.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would recomend go for Tomei rods instead of eagle. Not too much difference in price but a much better quality and weight match.
For pistons i recomend CP
You will defenetley need better oilpump. N1 is not a good choise i think. Or atleast buy a spine drive for it.
Cams will help alot
Metal gasket is a must + oil restrictor very recomended.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
People will say bad things about eagle and manley rods, thing is there is nothing wrong with them. And at your power goal they will be fine! Tomei rods will cost more, but it's up to you, Eagle is well used around the world along with manley and scat.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I would avoid Manley rods too quality is a bit hit and miss with them. Better spend a few hundred more and buy Tomei.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Nothing wrong with any of the rods they are well used in various cars, feel free to check honda-tech where people are running over 600hp with eagle, manley, scat rods along with wiseco, je, cp pistons.

Mahle is a top brand of pistons if you can stretch your budget further.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Je Pistons use some odd material which means they require bigger clearances and you get piston slap when cold seen many of these. Let me ask you why are you going for power enterprise bearings? Obviously you want to ensure you have the best bearing right?

There is a reason why they are half the price and that is reflected in the quality. Yes they will work same as Rota vs Volk but when you want quality you would go towards Volk. Anyway I personally would not recommend them not for the sake of a 100 or so pounds buy Tomei they are around £550 new.

Further more best parts in the world may as well be reduced to junk if your engine builder is a cowboy :runaway:

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Je Pistons use some odd material which means they require bigger clearances and you get piston slap when cold seen many of these. Let me ask you why are you going for power enterprise bearings? Obviously you want to ensure you have the best bearing right?

There is a reason why they are half the price and that is reflected in the quality. Yes they will work same as Rota vs Volk but when you want quality you would go towards Volk. Anyway I personally would not recommend them not for the sake of a 100 or so pounds buy Tomei they are around £550 new.

Further more best parts in the world may as well be reduced to junk if your engine builder is a cowboy :runaway:
Honestly, the Tomei rods came up at a cheap price so I bought those instead.

Bearings wise as there is not alot of choice apart from the usual ACL, which is going to be out of business soon I wanted to use something else which has a good reputation, the PE F1 bearings were something I researched on and turned out to be quite the bearing to have.

If I didn't come across the set of Tomei rods I would have settled with EAGLE, you're welcome to ask our engine builder about EAGLE rods, he has experience with them.

I understand about the JE pistons, but you can contact them and have pistons made to your spec. Mahle is one of the best piston manufacturers out there, CP/Wiseco are also good.

Each to their own, but I would use all the above brands.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EAGLE-ROD...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2b7e472d

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agree with previous poster.
Why go for PE bearings and put a cheap rods.
You can get tomei much cheaper from USA. The real difference in Tomei VS eagle is around 200 USD i believe. Not cost the effect.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Agree with previous poster.
Why go for PE bearings and put a cheap rods.
You can get tomei much cheaper from USA. The real difference in Tomei VS eagle is around 200 USD i believe. Not cost the effect.
I went with PE because I will be running more power, and I did not want to go 'cheap' on the bearing side of things. Rods honestly I would have gone for Eagle no problem.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Cheers lads :popcorn:

Keep the info coming!:bowdown1:
You will get different info from everyone. What you need to do is decide what you want to do with your engine. Everyone has different ideas, but what matters is what you want from your engine.

600hp can be done and you don't have to spend £5k on the engine!

What you can do is look around on the australia forums and on here for 600hp builds and see what people have gone for.

At the end of the day people will say do this do that, but you have the choice to do what you want.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Correct, this is just our opinion based on our own expirience.
But there is a lot of ppl building RB26.
Full race make more than 700 whp on stock bottom-end with proper tune and maintaince.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just waiting on a couple of rebuild quotes to come in, will let you know how i get on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts