GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long will a RB26 run without rebiuld at 500 -550 wheel HP?
staying 2.6liter and forced internals etc.

(bad English)

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
A lot of factors involved my friend.
The main one being how well it was built in the first place. Even if the OP listed all the parts going into the engine build, there would still be many possible answers.

·
Following EJH#25
6,843 Posts
The main one being how well it was built in the first place. Even if the OP listed all the parts going into the engine build, there would still be many possible answers.
+1 and add - poor mapping can have devastating effects also.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
my last rb26 had done over 20000 miles and running over 700 hp and still a good strong motor, built and maintained properly they should last a long time even at big power.

imo a lot of the early failures are problems that are there when there built.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I have one at 500BHP that has done 50,000 miles.

Nothing has failed due to the engine build. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thinking about 260deg. 10.80mm lift tomei cams, CP 9.0:1 pistons, ofc balanced crank or BC full counter weight crank, oversized valves and
ceramic coating and hard-anodizing if budget allows.
About mapping: 1 for normal driving and 1 with anti-lag for circuit,
ofc mainly safe tuned map.
give recommendation about turbos, Im between Tomei and HKS.

edit: What about ductile sleeves, any1 use them and suggestions to make engine last longer? and the rest of the drivetrain?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts

That's very good to hear.

Who built and mapped it?

I've done about 6k miles in nearly 4 years on a standard bottom end R34 engine between 450-510bhp. It had been running upto 520 bhp in japan since 2009. Probably 2.5k miles on track. Fingers crossed I haven't just jinxed it:eek:

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Some spend 5k on a rebuild and the engine lasts forever some spend 20k and they blow up time and time again :chuckle:

Bottom line is make sure the person building the engine is qualified to do so likewise the mapper knows his craft.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some spend 5k on a rebuild and the engine lasts forever some spend 20k and they blow up time and time again :chuckle:

Bottom line is make sure the person building the engine is qualified to do so likewise the mapper knows his craft.
Who do you recommend?

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,037 Posts
I ran a bog standard R34 engine on N1s at 420 hubs for 3 years before it gave up at Silverstone while I had Tamura-San in the pax seat. :)

Rebuilt 2.6 on N1s and now 2860s has done about 35k miles, approximately half of that on track and 5k of those miles on the Nordschliefe.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I ran a bog standard R34 engine on N1s at 420 hubs for 3 years before it gave up at Silverstone while I had Tamura-San in the pax seat. :)

Rebuilt 2.6 on N1s and now 2860s has done about 35k miles, approximately half of that on track and 5k of those miles on the Nordschliefe.
Not so good to hear about the standard R34 lump Ian.. I'm running [email protected] in mine so would suggest I'm on borrowed time :(
What was it that let go?

What power is your rebuilt motor running? Very impressive reliability:)

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,037 Posts
What was it that let go?
It didn't go bang. It started using a lot of oil over a period of months and at Silverstone there was suddenly a lot of oily grit on back of car, so called it quits and drove it home after Tamura-San got under it for a look. lol. Legend.

What power is your rebuilt motor running? Very impressive reliability:)
It was circa 420 hubs for 6 years, but now 480 hubs. Never been mapped above 1.4 bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
It didn't go bang. It started using a lot of oil over a period of months and at Silverstone there was suddenly a lot of oily grit on back of car, so called it quits and drove it home after Tamura-San got under it for a look. lol. Legend.

It was circa 420 hubs for 6 years, but now 480 hubs. Never been mapped above 1.4 bar.
Did you ever find out what was causing the oily grit? Mine is doing that but hopefully only because the turbos are on their way out.

6 years with the use it gets is excellent.. Try doing that in a Ferrari or lambo:chuckle:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
my last rb26 had done over 20000 miles and running over 700 hp and still a good strong motor, built and maintained properly they should last a long time even at big power.

imo a lot of the early failures are problems that are there when there built.

:eek::eek::eek:
what internals are you guys using and who build the engines?
very very impressive numbers!:bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts