GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm looking into refreshing my turbo, bearings, seals and a new inlet compressor impeller (this has a couple of tiny chips, was like that when i bought it).

Was wondering who and where does such rebuilds on these in the northwest of england, and are they pricey to do? As i'm aware a new one is fairly pricey and don't want to be going down that road really.

This is really for future reference as the turbo is sweet as a nut at the moment, but when i come to doing the bottom end i'll want to do it then.

Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Maybe someone more familiar with the two can correct me, but as far as im aware, the only difference between the two is the compressor cover.

If this is the case, just buy a new garrett and swap your hks cover over to it :)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Maybe someone more familiar with the two can correct me, but as far as im aware, the only difference between the two is the compressor cover.

If this is the case, just buy a new garrett and swap your hks cover over to it :)
You forgot the shiny purple badge. :chuckle:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

That was my understanding that they are the same but the Compressor housing, but the price difference is quite a bit different. I was thinking maybe a different pitch of impeller is used too. Who knows?

·
Registered
794 Posts
if not mistaken, rebuild with fresh bearings will be near to price of new garrett to4z since replacement cartridge is expensive

3,666 Posts
HKS turbo has different compressor/turbine housing and both compressor and turbine wheels are different from the Garret T04(z).

Mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So if that is the case i'll be best off getting the garrett and then change over the compressor housing, while were on the the subject of hks/garrett (this may be on another thread, don't shoot me down for this).

I believe from what i have been told on the hks the holes on the inlet side are for anti surge purposes, has anybody ever ran both types hks and then a garrett with the different compressor housings and seen any difference in spool/lag, bhp?

Paul

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HKS turbo has different compressor/turbine housing and both compressor and turbine wheels are different from the Garret T04(z).

Mark
Cheers for that, so they are pretty much different all together. Obviously thats were the price thing comes in eh?

·
Registered
771 Posts
rob @ rips is a fan of garrett turbo's - he could also elaborate on the differences between the hks v's garrett version for the t04z or any turbo for that matter

1 - 20 of 20 Posts