GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some heart breaking news today..........

My Crank has developed the "DEATH RATTLE".........

I'm currently reading all i can on the various engine options available to me and would like to get some people feedback (preferably with experience of using them).

Current Mods..
Apexi ECU and Controller
Apexi Hard pipes
RC 750cc injectors
Trust exhaust inc d/pipe and decat
2x 2860-5's
Fuel Pressure Regulator

Car has been running at 1bar.

My aim is 650bhp with the most torque I can muster from my chosen set up. I'm hoping for an extremely responsive outcome rather than a car that can boast performance from a MASSIVE bhp.

My aim is to have an engine tuned well in excess of the 650bhp mark and having it mapped back to make it as reliable as possible.

I understand the benefits of using a larger stroke and piston and a couple of things have pricked my ears.

I was hoping to get info on Block Setups as i'm aware of all the ancilliary parts that will be needed to complete the build.

OS Giken RB30
RIPS Billet RB30
2.8 tomei

There seems to be a large difference in the cost going up from 2.8 to RIPS RB30 to the OS Giken RB30.

I was quoted around 14k for the OS bottom end due to the current exchange rate is there a big difference in the overall quality between these 3 setups to substantiate that kind of price?

I am definately not made of money but I also don't want to compromise on my baby!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I feel your pain mate, I also developed a case of the DEATH RATTLE not long ago and have been looking at stroker kits wondering if it would be a good idea in the long run. My idea was if the engines going to be stripped down why not spend a bit and turn it into something a bit more special hey?? Anyway hope your build goes to plan! Be good to hear from others what their experience has been like with these mods.

·
Registered
798 Posts
With -5s i wouldnt go bigger than a rb28

If you want to go rb30 i would definately go with the RIPS rb30.Away cheaper than the giken and they have been proven to be totally bullet proof time and time again.

I think there would be little to no difference in quality between the RIPS and the giken 30s.

Tomei 2.8 stroker also top top quality but obviously your loosing displacment over an rb30 hence the cheaper price along with the fact that your getting a complete bottom end with both rb30 options.With the tomei your just getting a stroker kit..so prices between the 2 cannot be compared at all really

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I got some heart breaking news today..........

My Crank has developed the "DEATH RATTLE".........

I'm currently reading all i can on the various engine options available to me and would like to get some people feedback (preferably with experience of using them).

Current Mods..
Apexi ECU and Controller
Apexi Hard pipes
RC 750cc injectors
Trust exhaust inc d/pipe and decat
2x 2860-5's
Fuel Pressure Regulator

Car has been running at 1bar.

My aim is 650bhp with the most torque I can muster from my chosen set up. I'm hoping for an extremely responsive outcome rather than a car that can boast performance from a MASSIVE bhp.

My aim is to have an engine tuned well in excess of the 650bhp mark and having it mapped back to make it as reliable as possible.

I understand the benefits of using a larger stroke and piston and a couple of things have pricked my ears.

I was hoping to get info on Block Setups as i'm aware of all the ancilliary parts that will be needed to complete the build.

OS Giken RB30
RIPS Billet RB30
2.8 tomei

There seems to be a large difference in the cost going up from 2.8 to RIPS RB30 to the OS Giken RB30.

I was quoted around 14k for the OS bottom end due to the current exchange rate is there a big difference in the overall quality between these 3 setups to substantiate that kind of price?

I am definately not made of money but I also don't want to compromise on my baby!
Sounds like you could get away with the stock internal RIPS RB30, cheap as chips, a tad over 2 grand fully built and shipped. A hell of a difference between 2 grand and 14 grand. The money saved could get another turbo, such as a GT35 or a T04Z, and still have loads left over. But then again, you might as well go for the RIPS forged motor. That will cost about 5 grand including shipping, that's still 9 grand cheaper than OS Giken :thumbsup:

RIPS RB30's

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I"m doing a deal on my forged 1000-1200hp 4wd shortblocks with the EXACT same spec as our world record 240z RB30 (7.86 on 1/4) and our new FED (7.41 on 1/4) for nzd9995 (around 4700 pound) and everything RB26 bolts straight up, unlike the OSG which needs a different front pulley and flywheel/clutch I believe.

If we supply a complete bottom end with tomei pump, 4wd block brace/adapter, big sump, 1500hp front damper and alot of other new parts included is still only around 8200 pound and I'd throw in free shipping.

The blocks are a little taller than 26 but there's nothing thats hard to sort out,

E-mail me if you want more info.

Rob

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I"m doing a deal on my forged 1000-1200hp 4wd shortblocks with the EXACT same spec as our world record 240z RB30 (7.86 on 1/4) and our new FED (7.41 on 1/4) for nzd9995 (around 4700 pound) and everything RB26 bolts straight up, unlike the OSG which needs a different front pulley and flywheel/clutch I believe.

If we supply a complete bottom end with tomei pump, 4wd block brace/adapter, big sump, 1500hp front damper and alot of other new parts included is still only around 8200 pound and I'd throw in free shipping.

The blocks are a little taller than 26 but there's nothing thats hard to sort out,

E-mail me if you want more info.

Rob
Can you give me a full run down on the parts that come with the block for 8200? After looking again I also notice on the website that you do a kit for 17,500NZD is this the same as the one stated above?

How does this block compare to the OSG with regards to individual part quality as I know that most of their bits are billet.

It does seem also like the addons required Triple plate OSG clutch, flywheel prep and recommended pulleys are adding another bundle on to the OSG kit.

Don't worry about clearances the guys doing the work will no doubt be able to cope.... ;)

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Can you give me a full run down on the parts that come with the block for 8200? After looking again I also notice on the website that you do a kit for 17,500NZD is this the same as the one stated above?
yes, the nzd17500 kit is the one I was talking about, everything in the blue boxes is included.

How does this block compare to the OSG with regards to individual part quality as I know that most of their bits are billet.
We use high quality billet rods, high quality forged pistons and we have shown the RIPS prepped RB30 crankshaft to be more than capable of handling big power and rpm reliably, the worlds most powerfull/quickest and fastest RB30's are RIPS.

It does seem also like the addons required Triple plate OSG clutch, flywheel prep and recommended pulleys are adding another bundle on to the OSG kit.

Don't worry about clearances the guys doing the work will no doubt be able to cope.... ;)
No problem :)

Rob

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
A bit of input from me, I'm in a different Continent at the moment, away from home (U.K) and taking the time to suggest that you buy the RIPs set-up as did I, you will not be disappointed, trust me. I have the RIPs RB30/26 in my 33 with a T04z and it is absolutely awesome. You will not regret it...... until you feel the urge for more power.....

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
You will not regret it...... until you feel the urge for more power.....
Then you just bolt on a bigger turbo, re-tune and go again :smokin:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately I have had to knock the idea of 30 and 28 on the head.

I've decided to replace the engine (or bottom end) as a plug and play excercise. Cheaply and quickly.

This will allow me to plan out my approach toward boring and stroking. Meaning I can take my time over the build making sure it's exactly how i want.

plus summers coming up and I can't not have the gtr on the road..... I JUST CAN'T

Can anyone recommend a company who will supple a full rb26dett pref freshly rebuilt. But i would consider a very good second hand example. Fully built bottom ends also considered.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I can do a newly refreshed RB26 bottom end with oil pump and our 2010 model high capacity 4wd sump (which can be swapped over to the better engine 26,28 or 30 later) for nzd7950 including shipping and thats with you supplying nothing.

Regards Rob

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can do a newly refreshed RB26 bottom end with oil pump and our 2010 model high capacity 4wd sump (which can be swapped over to the better engine 26,28 or 30 later) for nzd7950 including shipping and thats with you supplying nothing.

Regards Rob
Hi Rob can I just quickly ask....

I've been told that you use a Holden Block as a base for your RB30 builds....

Can you confirm? Also any specific reasoning on the particular block of choice...

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I use Holden or Nissan RB30 blocks, same thing, but there are a couple of differences in some blocks with either type, some can be used, some can't and I have a massive pile of blocks I can't use due to not being happy with them for quality or not being suitable for other reasons.

Rob

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hi Rob can I just quickly ask....

I've been told that you use a Holden Block as a base for your RB30 builds....

Can you confirm? Also any specific reasoning on the particular block of choice...

Thanks.
Many years ago Nissan supplied motors for Holden for their VL Commodores, Both a N/A version and a Turbo version. The nissan and the "Holden" engine are the same, But as Rob said you have to get the right one, Best to get a Turbo one that has the oil and water lines and the flat panel above the water pump to make it easier.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did a search just after I asked that question....
Wikipedia is my friend

RB30
Four models of 3.0 L RB30 were produced:

RB30S - carburetted single-cam
RB30E - fuel-injected single-cam (114 kW @ 5200 rpm, 247 N·m (25.2 kgf·m) @ 3600 rpm)
RB30E R31 Skyline - fuel-injected single-cam (117 kW @ 5200 rpm, 252 N·m (25.2 kgf·m) @ 3600 rpm)
RB30ET VL Commodore - fuel-injected single-cam turbo (150 kW @ 5600 rpm, 296 N·m @ 3200 rpm)
This motor was produced for the use in Skylines, Patrols and Cefiros, and rights bought by Holden because the Holden 202 (3.3 L) powering the Holden Commodore could no longer satisfy tightening emissions requirements, and with all new cars required to run on unleaded petrol by 1986, a quick replacement was needed. Nissan Motor Co. sold the RB30E to Holden for the VL Commodore. The RB30E in the VL suffered from cylinder head cracking due to the radiator being fitted lower in the engine bay, causing air locks in the cylinder head. This was not as severe in R31 Skyline as the radiator is mounted higher. The engine proved to be very reliable apart from this issue. The RB30S was found in some Middle Eastern R31 Skylines and in some Nissan Patrols. The RB30E was found in R31 Skylines and VL Commodores in Australia as well as in South African R31 Skylines (with 126 kW @ 5000 rpm and 260 Nm @ 3500 rpm)

The turbocharged RB30ET (producing 150 kW) was found only in the VL Commodore (available in all models) and consisted of a lower compression RB30E bottom end, more powerful oil pump, T3 Garrett turbocharger, 250 cc injectors and a different intake manifold. The motor itself is still popular today (albeit in highly modified form) on the Australian Drag Racing circuit.

Nissan Special Vehicles Division Australia produced two limited models of R31 Skylines, the GTS1 and GTS2. These contained slightly more powerful RB30E engines, containing longer opening duration cams and better flowing exhausts.

GTS1 RB30E - injected single-cam (130 kW @ 5500 rpm, 255 Nm (26.0 kgf·m) @ 3500 rpm) - special cam profile, special exhaust[6]
GTS2 RB30E - injected single-cam (140 kW @ 5600 rpm, 270 N·m (27.5 kgf·m) @ 4400 rpm) - special cam profile, special exhaust, piggy back computer, valve porting[7]
[edit] RB30DE
These rare engines were used in the Tommy Kaira M30 based on the R31 Skyline GTS-R. A modified RB20DE head was bolted on to the RB30E block. It delivered 177 kW (240 PS) @ 7000 rpm and 294 N·m (30.0 kgf·m) @ 4800 rpm.

[edit] RB30DET
Nissan did not produce this engine, but it refers to a turbocharged engine featuring an RB30E block with a twin-cam head conversion. Common hybrid in Australasia (referred to as the RB25/30 or RB26/30) using a RB30E bottom end mated to a RB25DE,RB25DET or RB26DETT cylinder head and turbo (RB20DE and DET heads are not used as the bores are different in size; RB30 86.0 mm RB20 78.0 mm but were originally modified and used on the tommy kaira Rb30de as the RB25 engine did not exist). The RB25DE cylinder head from the A31 Cefiro C33 Laurel or R32 skyline (aka: Non VCT)can be used, and fits perfectly on (although better valve springs are recommended, Gtr valve springs are a decent upgrade). The RB25DET (from the R33 Skyline or C34 Laurel or Stagea) head is also used, however an external oil feed must be fabricated for the variable cam timing (VCT) on the RB25DET, and the galleries at the front of the engine do not line up. The variable cam timing may be disconnected altogether.Also it is wise to change the oil restrictor's in the block to 1.5mm and get a full face oil pump drive collar machined onto the crank(solves it shattering at high RPM) with the use of a twin cam oil pump.

The fitment of a twin cam head from any of these engines onto a standard compression RB30E bottom end gives an ideal compression ratio for a mild to moderately modified street turbo engine around 8.2:1, (but always check your compression when building this engine as it may vary), making the conversion popular amongst those who would otherwise convert their RB30E to a high compression RB30ET using original ET bolt on externals.

Although it has a larger displacement than the RB26DETT, maximum possible horsepower is less, as the RB30 block lacks the RB26 block's internal cast-in bracing, and consequently cannot rev as high due to harmonic issues at ~7500 rpm. To compensate, the RB30DET produces more torque at lower revs due to its longer stroke. However they have been known to reach engine speeds up to 11,000 rpm with a lot of balancing and the use of the RB26 head with solid lifters. Power of the RB30det in this form can far exceed that of an RB26dett, RB30DET's are usually only found in rwd cars as it's a lot easier to install, with the 4wd setup in the GTR or GTS4 an adapter plate has to be made to fit the 4wd sump as its bolt pattern is different to the RB30, as there is a adapter plate between the sump it sits off on the gearbox bolt holes, they will have to be modified to fit

There is also an 'RB30DETT' kit manufactured by OS Giken of Japan, which bolts an extension on top of the RB26 engine block, and fits liners, to give an 86 mm bore x 86 mm stroke. It is available as an assembled short block, containing billet chrome-molybdenum crank, billet chrome-molybdenum H-beam connecting rods, forged pistons, and costs ¥1,500,000.[8]

In recent times, Rotorua Import Pro Shop (RIPS), a tuning garage located in Rotorua, New Zealand has emerged as one of the foremost tuners using the RB30DET engines, The vast majority of engines they do are RB30's. They have found that the stock Bottom end can easily withstand in excess of 600hp reliably, with many of their engines capable of running a Skyline in the 10 second range 0-400m sprint. RIPS also has produced the world's most powerful RB30, installed in a Nissan 240Z, this car has run 0-400m in 7.86 seconds at 177.4 MPH, running 1400hp+ using a stock unfilled block, stock crank, stock cradle, stock mains bolts, and stock wet sump without engine failure. That particular engine has now been installed into a purpose-built front engine dragster with a current best of 7.41 seconds and they are now going for 6 second 1/4 mile times at 200+ MPH. Another one of their developments is a 3.3 litre RB30DET dubbed the "RB33" by using a crankshaft with an extended stroke.

An interesting read

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I would not believe everything you read on wiki!

...There are only a couple of block types IIRC.

I would be very supprised if Tommy Kaira used a RB20 head on a RB30 block, As far as I was aware they don't fit, It would have to be a RB25 or RB26 head...

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I would not believe everything you read on wiki!
Amen to that!!

...There are only a couple of block types IIRC.
Pretty sure your right there, pretty cool that its possible to get around 10 times the stock output from a stock block and crank though isn't it!!

I would be very supprised if Tommy Kaira used a RB20 head on a RB30 block, As far as I was aware they don't fit, It would have to be a RB25 or RB26 head...
They bolt on but pretty much a waste of time, it did say that the 20 head was used cause the 25s hadn't been made yet, not sure if thats true though.

Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts