GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What steps should I take whilst cleaning out the block after spinning a bearing ?

What have you guys done in the past ?

Is there a specific detergent to use whilst cleaning ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I always use traffic film remover and a steam cleaner.
Blow it off with an air line and immediately spray it with loads of wd40 as it will start to rust before your eyes.
How is the crank and have you found the cause yet?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say steam cleaner what kind of steam cleaner?

Yes I've got tons of wd40

as for the crank I've not split the block yet as I'm struggling to get the crank bolt undone

as for the cause yes I know what it is its down to my own stupidity basically when I drilled the oil return holes in the sump larger I know I haven't cleaned the swarf out properly as I had only just filled the diff with new oil and when moving the sump about the oil was spilling out so I was lazy and its bit me big time but I thought the magnetic sump plug would catch anything

Yes aluminium isn't magnetic which only dawned on me after the first 100 miles DOH!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
With a steam cleaner or pressure washer the water pressure is around 1000 psi
Just blast the hell out of all the passages. If you stick the nossle of the lance in the oil feed gallery at the front of the block water will squirt out everywhere.
There isn't much chance of any crap sitting around inside.
Tbh if you had swarf sitting in any galleries the demise of the engine would have been almost instant.
Was there any signs of big end knock or bearing damage the first time you stripped it down?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it had over boosted on track and ring lands on 3&6 had gone when I did get to checking the big ends bearings no 6 had a minor amount of wear but no knocking, I put this down to the last owner tracking it a lot...

When you say the oil feed gallery at the front is this open or is it the one with the plug in it ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts