GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of having the gearbox rebuilt (stock) rather than replacing it, can somebody that's had this done give me a rough cost please ? Seals, bearings and all syncros job

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just priced a rebuild with Abbey. Expensive, spend a little more and get a getrag. Personally if my std one ever breaks I'll just buy a s/h boxe and treat them like wear items - cheaper than a set of AP discs!
A getrag is north of 4k though. Rebuilding a stock box is surely a lot les than that even with the gtr tax added on

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
A getrag is north of 4k though. Rebuilding a stock box is surely a lot les than that even with the gtr tax added on
lol yeah that's what I thought! the parts are very expensive and they updated the configuration of the box so to overhaul it you need loads of new parts apparently. Then plus vat plus labour...

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm really just looking for a stock option, the Os kit works out to be of a similar cost to a getrag 6spd.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The OS will be much stronger. Depends what you want gear ratio wise.
Can't remember if your car already has an OS Centre plate.... I could be wrong like

Rich
I'm not sure what supporting mods are needed for an os got the os tripple plate clutch but it has that

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just totaled up my outgoings on car for the last 3 years, including road tax and insurance and tyres all round, only 3,000 miles per year though, do my own servicing, motul oil. changed 3 times. £2, 625. doesnt include petrol though.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My old GTR had a gearbox rebuild receipt with it of about £4,5k :eek: Wasn't DIY but imagine parts would have been a fair chunk of that

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just totaled up my outgoings on car for the last 3 years, including road tax and insurance and tyres all round, only 3,000 miles per year though, do my own servicing, motul oil. changed 3 times. £2, 625. doesnt include petrol though.
I don't even want to think about how much I've spent in that time but just the other day my wife said you could have bought an r34
It was like being told I'm a stupid bastard by a doctor

·
Registered
679 Posts
I went through 2 standerd boxs in a week so bit the bulit and forked out and had os giken gearset billet flex plate etc installed cost just a bit morr than 4k but a heck of a lot better so much smoother and crisp changes compared to the boxs ive driven also went from a hks tripple to a carbonetics carbon clutch which was so much better so that was another 1.5 k so my simple box xhange cost me roughly 7k lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts