GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compression-test recently... 10 on the first cyl, only 8 on the nr.6.. No smoke or bad sounds.. Should I rebuild the engine??

regards
Jan Erik

·
Registered
53 Posts
Unless you are having a real lack of power, or burning oil... personally I would leave it. :)
Have to agree with this. Only thing to keep in mind is if there is a problem developing, when it finally goes (what-ever it may be) what other damage will it cause. Its all down to your judgement, although why are you doing a test if nothing is wrong?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I`ve had some oil coming out of the air-filters, and I am installing power fc d-jetro, bigger injectors etc.. Just wanted to check if everything was ok before mapping it... No smoke or sounds from engine.. Think I`ll just get an oil catch tank and map it.. Then start saving for a brand new engine :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
The lower compression could be caused by a valve that's not closing 100% So it's losing a bit compression, that doesn't have to be a problem.

If the compression an a cold engine is much worse than on a hot engine then the piston rings may be worn.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I'd test the rings, and when your engine dies, whenever that'll be, no doubt that #6 will be the one to go out. But a short block would be all you'd need in that case.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I`ve had some oil coming out of the air-filters, and I am installing power fc d-jetro, bigger injectors etc.. Just wanted to check if everything was ok before mapping it... No smoke or sounds from engine.. Think I`ll just get an oil catch tank and map it.. Then start saving for a brand new engine :)
sounds like your increasing the power a bit, what kind of increase are you going for? having a weak cyl-6 can cause problems if youre going for big power. if you are planning on opening up the engine, it may be a good idea to see whats causing the loss of compression. if the valves arent closing right, look at the springs, shims, and such.

having to replace the piston rings, or a mild head rebuild is alot cheaper than catastrophic failure later on up the road. it would be a good investment to figure it out whats causing it before you ventured into a project.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Will be approx 500 wbhp...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts