GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I am in the process of possibly getting ready to rebuild my RB26 in my GTR33. As I said in one of my previous threads, I have spun a bearing in it. I am trying to decide on a path and wanted to get some opinions from you guys. I figure if I am going to rebuild my engine then I might as well upgrade it at the same time to save costs in the future. I just want to make sure that I have everything as far as upgrade parts:

Cams
Pistons
Rods
Rod Bolts
Timing Belt
Oil Pump
Water Pump
Metal Gasket Kit
Head Studs

I am wondering if I need to get upgraded springs, retainers, valve guides, bearing cap studs, ect. I know the RB26 is rev happy by nature, and I dont know if I need to get these parts or anything additional. I know a lot of this is going to depend on my power goals for the future and what not. I dont have any extreme goals per say for the future, but I want to be ready in the event I choose too. Right now I am shooting for 600AWHP, however I am sure I will want more later.

Of course I am going to machine the engine and head and what not, as well as probably port and polish the head. I am mainly asking about parts that I need. Thanks a lot guys.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I put in Tomei Poncams because they're supposed to work with the stock valvetrain. I didn't want to muck about with valvesprings or buckets or any of that crap. Worked out well - the head is finished and the valve clearances are dead on exact - all 24 of them.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
one thing missing of the list ,which if its spun a bearing badly. you will need a crank.. you can regrind there,s a thread from jeff ( pikey ) on here ref grinding cranks..also you dont say what power level you are after.. std valves springs will take you too 600bhp poncams help breathing and fuelling, steel headgasket, a set of gt-ss turbo,s , some bigger injectors etc etc etc..bernie.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Sorry, dont get me wrong, I am not asking what is needed to get to XXXWHP. I actually have my setup all done.

My main question was I dont really hear of anyone doing valve springs, retainers ect. Do they need to be done? The only reason I mentioned a WHP was becuase I know that plays a large role.

Just wondering what other internals besides the ones mentioned I need to upgrade. Thanks.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay.

Well I am considering just buying a new N1 shortblock and porting and polishing my old head. What do you guys think?

The N1 block already comes with forged internals including the crank shaft. Do you think that is a better option? or just go ahead and rebuild my old one?

-Sayajin
_________

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who told you this ? The N1 block is just an N1 block, even Nur engines don't come with forged internals as standard.
Courtsey WikiPedia.com

N1 engines

The N1 engine was first developed by Nismo for Group A racing purposes. The standard RB26DETT, although known for its durability, proved to require too much maintenance for Group A racing conditions. The N1 engine is built from the standard N1 block. The water cooling channels in the block and cylinder head are enhanced for better flowing. The block, and internal components are also strengthened. The pistons, and connecting rods were made of forged steel, and the crankshaft is also forged, and balanced. The specifications of the camshafts were also improved for power. The N1 engine uses the same parallel twin turbocharger layout but with improved turbochargers. The N1 engine also received an improved oil pump and water pump, to improve the cooling and lubrication of the engine. The N1 engine is identified by its 24U number stamped on the block, as opposed to the 05U stamp on standard RB26DETT engines.

The first model of the N1 engine was the R32 N1 engine. It uses a pair of larger turbochargers compared to the standard R32 GT-R. The turbine wheels on the new turbochargers are made from steel, rather than the weaker ceramic used for all standard GT-R models. The R33 N1 engine was slightly revised. The turbochargers are now larger than the R32 N1 engine, supporting more power, if the engine is modified.

The R34 N1 engine had more changes made. The camshafts are slightly improved for power. The turbochargers are about the same size as the R32 N1 turbochargers, except now they use ball bearing technology. The turbochargers operate much quicker than any other model used.

The most improved N1 engine is the R34 Nur engine. It is based on the R34 N1 engine. The camshafts were further improved for power, and the crankshaft is further balanced for higher engine speed. There were 1000 Nur engines made by Nissan, all were used in the R34 VspecII Nur, and Mspec Nur models. They were advertised as making the same 280PS (276hp) as the standard model, but with the lighter engine parts, and more efficient turbochargers, the engine would make closer to 350hp.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
lol - just shows that Wikipedia isn't always right then.
You'll be very disappointed if you buy an N1 engine expecting a forged bottom end.
Perhaps you should ask Sean - the guy who you are quoting in your sig.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL. Thanks man. I appreciate the info.

I actually plan to call Kenny over at RB and ask him about my rebuild.

My main thing is wondering if I need to get the extras I mentioned in my first post. Just not sure if they are required or not.

Also quick question:

I know I need new bearings and what not. However how many do I need? I plan to replace all of the bearings in the engine with upgraded ones.

I know there are Conrod, Main Bearing Inner, and Main bearing center. How many of each do I need to rebuild the engine? Thanks guys.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sayajin,

I'd suggest going with a bigger bore on aftermarket pistons, a good strong rod and good rod bolt package.
Of course a new crank is required and perhaps a viable option is a new OEM Nissan Crank.
Head Stud Kit, look at ARP
Headgasket, look at something that will accomadate your new bore, anything from Tomei->HKS should be adequate.
Bearings; Research "ACL Bearings"

You can keep your stock valvetrain basically if keeping with 9.15mm Max Lift and stock rev limit.

A strong oil system (uprated oil pump, baffle, enlarged sump) for insurance and longetivity.

Turbo choice is vast, lots of choices, If you're going with bigger displacement, you could expect good results with HKS GT-RS Turbochargers, or a single T04Z.

Your major concern to be taken into account alongside your motor rebuild is on your transmission of course.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Lawrence.

I spoke to Kenny over at RB and he has really convinced me to go with a Tomei 2.8L stroker kit. We are probably going to get everything else as far as internals Tomei and get Nimso Bearings. We are going to do the kit, bearings, valves, cam and crank studs, head studs, tomei metal gasket kit, Tomei/Nismo/JUN oil pump and baffle, and Tomei Pro Cams. Of course I plan to machine the entire engine including the head and port and polish the head. Quite a bit more money than I really want to spend, however it doesnt make sense to have to EVER do this crap again. Might as well spend a bit extra now instead of a lot more later.

As far as the tranny, I am currently running an ACT Twin Carbon Clutch with the pull to push conversion and a Nismo Slave.

Thanks a lot man. I REALLY dont want to spend quite this much... but it seems to be the best from a cost/value standpoint.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Thanks a lot man. I REALLY dont want to spend quite this much... but it seems to be the best from a cost/value standpoint.

-Sayajin
that has been my justification, but I swear to God, if this engine fails after 2000km I'm dumping the car into the river!!

You want one pair of main center bearings, six pairs of main inner bearings, and six pairs of conrod bearings. With new piston pins and piston rings (well, you'd have new pistons too at that point, but just for the sake of argument), all basic surfaces that move against each other are new, and therefore, hopefully, the engine will really be, "as good as new".

Stroker kit! Dang. Unless you don't have to replace turbos like I did, your budget is gonna sail over mine...

As far as my build, a Nismo pump would have been better than my N1 pump, and my transmission is stock (minus twinplate clutch of course). But as I won't do a sump extension (will install Accusump instead), that and the transmission has defined my build limit - 600bhp, 8000rpm redline.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I spoke to Kenny over at RB and he has really convinced me to go with a Tomei 2.8L stroker kit. We are probably going to get everything else as far as internals Tomei and get Nimso Bearings. We are going to do the kit, bearings, valves, cam and crank studs, head studs, tomei metal gasket kit, Tomei/Nismo/JUN oil pump and baffle, and Tomei Pro Cams.

-Sayajin
Nice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that has been my justification, but I swear to God, if this engine fails after 2000km I'm dumping the car into the river!!

You want one pair of main center bearings, six pairs of main inner bearings, and six pairs of conrod bearings. With new piston pins and piston rings (well, you'd have new pistons too at that point, but just for the sake of argument), all basic surfaces that move against each other are new, and therefore, hopefully, the engine will really be, "as good as new".

Stroker kit! Dang. Unless you don't have to replace turbos like I did, your budget is gonna sail over mine...

As far as my build, a Nismo pump would have been better than my N1 pump, and my transmission is stock (minus twinplate clutch of course). But as I won't do a sump extension (will install Accusump instead), that and the transmission has defined my build limit - 600bhp, 8000rpm redline.
Well believe it or not, the stroker kit is only about $1500-$2000 more than just getting pistons and rods. So if I had to get a new crank, which I am not sure about, it would actually be only a tiny bit more. However I do still think I will be a bit over your price... probably about $2K or so.

Alas.... time to mortgage my soul for my GTR.

-Sayajin

`

1 - 14 of 14 Posts