Discussion Starter #1
Now that i have all my basic stage one mods :

- apexi filters
- trust downpipes
- trust decat
- trust power extreme 2 exhaust
- Greddy E01 boost controller running 0.97bar max
- Mines stage one ecu

Im thinking i may as well upgrade my turbos for shits n giggles.
Im only looking to run about 1.2 / 1.3 bar so should i spend the extra cash and get a set of aftermarket turbos or can i just have the stock ones rebuilt with steel internals and turn the boost up? Will i need a new set of injectors if i do this?

Thanks chaps:cool:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but then you have shipping which i see bumps the price up to approx £1350. Bit of a difference there if i can run similar boost levels and then add a couple of support mods like injectors and an oil cooler with me saved cash!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
There's some info on smaller turbo's here:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=31819

It depends on what power your after, if you want more like 500-550 in the future then GT-SS, if you only want 450-500 then rebuild std's.

I'd recommend oil cooler even on your current spec, as before if you get either steel or GT-SS, your prolly gonna need new injectors.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i reckon ill just rebuild the stocks and try to run a max of 500bhp. I cant really run more than 1.2 bar on my mines ecu anyhow!! :D Oil cooler and injectors will go on also :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had a basic price of 300 per turbo for upgrading originals to steel internals - surely that would work out cheaper and still be able to run at least 1.4 bar boost.
Out of interest Koopa - any idea power at your present mods as mine is running very similiar....

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine made 377 fwhp on 0.9 bar. I have since fitted a mines vx rom ecu and turned the boost up to a max of 1bar so i reckon im maybe approx 390 @the fly?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Koppa
Mines ecu (although not state of the minute product) certainly helped with the fueling of my car. Previously the car was a bit jerky when cold but now it runs smooth even from first starting in morning - also the slight wiff of petrol is gone. IMO a cheap and cheery piece of kit and if around 390 BHP then that'll do me for now until I can 'aquire' some funds from my joint account with the misses.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Go for the SS's great flexibility across the range, i run 1.3 bar on over boost normaly 1.2 bar, with 450 bhp at hubs with 390 lb/ft torque, only limited by my reluctance to move to a multiplate clutch. t
There is more to be had appoximatly 70 lbs/ft torque and 50 bhp at the hubs. So makes for a :smokin: fun every day car.

·
Registered
274 Posts
the other good thing about getting new turbos is you can sell the old ones so its not that expensive to replace compared to just a turbo rebuild.

im at about same stage with mods, and know the stock turbos are going to be a resitricting point, so im going down the GT-SS route then sell the old tubbies for some pin money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts