GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've searched the forum but cant seem to find anything i.e when to change oils etc.

Gear box oil changed, transfer box also changed. Now engine has 1040 in at the moment, drove it from the garage to house (around 2 miles) and it kinda sounds like a fiesta engine, not loud but faint :nervous: other than that its the gtr rumble, sits nice at 1k revs, have been told give it time to settle in.

Another source says oil is fine for 200 miles then change to 1550 race oil. Run in period is min 1,000 miles? during that time keep it under 3k revs and take it easy? So thats two oil changes during the 1,000 miles? then straight after another engine and gearbox oil change. Reason changing the gearbox oil again is because it hasnt run for ages.

thanks in advance
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Don't keep it under 1000rpm, run it in hard, give it some. After the initial start and maybe running it for an hour under various loads, you've got to unleash it man. I'm not joking. Keep it it under about 5000rpm though and build up the revs. By the time you hit the 1000 mile mark you should be doing drag launches.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
1000 is normal for running in but i would say only 1 oil change within that time....(not 100% on that though)

for the 1st 1000 miles i would say no more than 4000RPM and build the revs up slowley etc

·
Registered
656 Posts
should be on mineral oil for running in
4500rpm-5000rpm limit .8 to 1 bar boost limit
use all the reves an boost, change oil at 500 miles to synthetic
get it mapped, off you go .

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh this is the problem im kinda faced with.

some people say drive it hard but not max, let everything settle in the way it should, then other people say take it easy for a certain time.

I'm tempted to 'give it some' and let everything settle in once but I'm scared. :bawling:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
first time i run in the engine took it real easy to easy
engine breathed heavy
this time drove it hard but not stupid
seems a lot better

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Don't keep it under 1000rpm, run it in hard, give it some. After the initial start and maybe running it for an hour under various loads, you've got to unleash it man. I'm not joking. Keep it it under about 5000rpm though and build up the revs. By the time you hit the 1000 mile mark you should be doing drag launches.
+2

personaly i dont think there should be anything wrong with running up to just under red line, like stated build revs slowly just make sure you dont hit limiter before your 500 mile oil change. remember progression, not aggression. after 600 miles you can do whatever you want.

also, change initial running in oil after 500 miles, then every 3000 or whatever you prefer.

the anticipation and excitement of driving my gtr after my 500 mile oil change nearly killed me.

k

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
like a typewriter? noisey tappets?

where does the noise seem to be coming from?

does it make this nois when ticking over or under load?

ps, who did the rebuild?

·
Registered
365 Posts
....i think he means the timing chain rattle on the old ohv Ford Fiesta..??

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
searched the forum, seems to be the lifters

means another oil change? thought it was thick enough at 1040, will check it out tomorrow again.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Good to hear it's running under it's own steam now.

Personaly I'd run my car in as Pupsi mentioned. I'd also not drive at a constant rpm for long either- keep varying them and also use engine braking. Mineral oil for the first 100 or so miles then drop it out.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
went down garage , 90% sure its noisy tappets. annoying as hell

didnt have this on the rb25, that was a smooth rb noise

from the cockpit this rb26 sounds like a fiesta minus exhaust sound

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
could it have been poorly shimmed?
who did the rebuild?

k

·
Registered
498 Posts
why is there so much differant advice?

I am going to have to go through this soon, I'v been told 500miles with no boost then oil change and another 500 miles on low boost before being able to drive properly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts