GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 DBA totally standard except a GTC titanium street exhaust.
If I change the down pipes is a remap required .
Or if I fit race cats .

What's your thoughts

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
It'll run ok once remapped, remember you'll get a waft of petrol every now and again, worse in summer! i'm kinda used to it, but passengers sometimes notice

good fun with popsNbangs whilst moving tho (i wouldnt do it stationary *godzilla mode* as will kill your turbos - overheat)

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't mind a fuel smell.raced evos for years

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
I’m curious as to why catless downpipes cause a petrol smell, especially on a hot day.
What’s the line on this?
cos the lack of CATS, not filtering the fumes i presume...

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I would definitely get a remap after changing to catless downpipes. It upsets the breathing and can cause overboost.

Changing downpipes is also apparently a pig of a job, bolts can be welded in or even snap meaning it's an engine out to fix at £2k. Plus the lamba sensors can be welded into the OEM DPs meaning new ones are required at £300 each...

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
I’m curious as to why catless downpipes cause a petrol smell, especially on a hot day.
What’s the line on this?
Cats combine oxygen with carbon monoxide and unburned hydrocarbons (fuel) to produce carbon dioxide and water. So no cats means unburnt fuel making its way out instead. Add in how rich the R35 runs anyway and Bob’s your uncle.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I accept that that is likely the case. However, my Mitsubishi GTO didn’t have any CATs at all, and that never smelt of fuel. 3.0 Twin turbo. Same setup as the GT-R in many ways.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
I***8217;d guess that your old GTO didn***8217;t run as rich as the GTR. The amount of fuelling is the only logical reason when all other obvious variables are pretty much the same.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Are you saying rich on overun because they do not or should not be rich at all !

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 2011 DBA totally standard except a GTC titanium street exhaust.
If I change the down pipes is a remap required .
Or if I fit race cats .

What's your thoughts

I would say a remap would be worthwhile if you dont have one already.

I hope you like the exhaust, i have a complete GTC Race is its just spectacular.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts