GTR Forum banner

Recirculating BOV's

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  kismetcapitan 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I think one of my oem bov's may be sticking open and causing the car to not run as it should.

I've done a search and read alot about stalling with vta valves and was wondering what are my options with aftermarket recirculating bov's? I had an SSQV on my old MR2 and was very happy with the quality and fitment of it, don't know if they do a recirc option??

I'd rather keep the recirc as it won't give me and stalling issues.

Your advice, as ever, appreciated. :)

#6 ·
Similar to when i had my old R5 turbo. When i'm cruising on the motorway and then add a little throttle, boost doesn't build and the car feels like its fluttering, if that makes sense. When i'm flat out it's fine and builds revs and boost as it should.

#7 ·
You sure, as I had this problem when I installed a one way valve and the BOV would not vent at all I only got compressor surge through the turbo intake. I ran a direct vacuum hose without air filter and no problem. I am still on the hunt for a replacement air filter. Not sure if it is related but you could also check to see if the spring is adjusted too tightly not allowing it to vent on low boost and causing the flutter but allowing it to on full throttle.

#8 ·
the SSQV kit comes fitted for recirc. To VTA, I had to remove the recirc fitting.

Running a hose down to connect into the recirc piping isn't a problem, you just might have to drill a hole, somewhere around where the boost reference nipple is. Or get rid of the stock recirc pipe (the plastic one) that runs behind the intercooler and plug straight into that rat's nest going back into the intakes.

Sure you don't want VTA? I haven't had a single problem - generally speaking SSQV and stalling problems are with RB20s and RB25s, not RB26s, and unless there's a performance benefit by keeping air in the system (maybe?) or if you don't like backfires (when venting, the car runs very rich for that moment, 9.5:1 or lower, and with a hot tailpipe you shoot flames)...but at least for me, it felt very good to rip out all that recirc piping and clean up the engine bay. I like simple.

#14 ·
I've been wondering this for a while. What are the necissary steps for VTA with a 32 GTR? I was also thinking of ditching all of it myself. The reasoning behind not trying it is way back when my buddy had a DSM and when he pulled the lines to go VTA the sucker died lol. Sorry to threadjack but I wanted to catch you before the subject gets burried.

#11 ·
Interesting thoughts. The only reason i thought it was something else was because the car hasnever done anything like it un the 18 months before.

Cure for turbo shuffle is modded TT pipe??

I will remove the BOV's and inspect them this week, can't do any harm!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.