GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turbo is pretty damn close to the engine, I'm thinking of going for a turbo blanket as I'm under the impression this will keep the heat down in the engine bay.

Firstly, is there any point in doing this? Secondly there's some quite cheap ones on ebay but as usual, I'm a little wary of cheap items. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
757 Posts
It is a must have for single turbo conversion. I got one from a supplier in America which isn't too bad but the Whifbitz blankets look the nuts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, single turbo conversion here with no wrapping on the downpipe or the exhaust manifold. No turbo blanket either. Under bonnet temperatures are hot although air intake temperatures are low and oil never really going above 95 for the type of driving I do.

Garage Whifbitz Titanium Turbo Blanket - Garage Whifbitz

That does look really nice actually, I might go for it although still not sure whether a cheap one from ebay would be just as good.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am still just a bit concerned about the damage that some people mention regarding turbo blankets.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The heat still has to go somewhere which can increase exhaust gas temperature and can cause damage to the seals.

This is the only reason I haven't gone for one.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The heat still has to go somewhere which can increase exhaust gas temperature and can cause damage to the seals.

This is the only reason I haven't gone for one.
Exhaust housings can get so hot they start glowing. It will be fine.

Its better to run with it than not as there is the ECU wiring that runs down that side!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is your ebay turbo blanket still holding up? Not sure if ebay ones can be trusted compared to company ones and wouldn't want it to go on fire or anything.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I hope you guys aren't sereous about ebay blankets (well not all as below).

Get a DEI titanium one (or pair as required) and know it won't start to burn under your bonnet.
I've seen results of those cheap blankets and its hugely alarming to see. I can't/won't say all eBay blankets are the same for obvious reasons but be warned.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I hope you guys aren't sereous about ebay blankets (well not all as below).

Get a DEI titanium one (or pair as required) and know it won't start to burn under your bonnet.
I've seen results of those cheap blankets and its hugely alarming to see. I can't/won't say all eBay blankets are the same for obvious reasons but be warned.
The initial smoking is part of the 'going off' process - anything after that is contamination, i.e. oil etc.

The Ebay ones are fine, although you obviously get what you pay for in some instances

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The initial smoking is part of the 'going off' process - anything after that is contamination, i.e. oil etc.

The Ebay ones are fine, although you obviously get what you pay for in some instances

I've seen these burn through - and we aren't talking spending £30 crap. Some of these selling for more are still as bad. Like I say - I can't tar them all with the same brush as I've not tried them all by any means. But at least with the DEI examples you know they are tested to the extreme temps required.
I certainly wouldn't risk a fire for the same of a pretty cheap mod like this. I'd be more inclined to not bother at all otherwise :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi everyone, sorry, I've just got around to doing this after being on business for a while and not using the car so much.

I've taken a look at the DEi titanium blankets and they do seem top quality but quite expensive. I understand that you get what you pay for but there do seem to be some good alternatives around.

T4 Vulcan Titanium Custom Fit Turbo Charger Heat Shield Blanket Made in USA | eBay

Garage Whifbitz Titanium T4 Turbo Blanket - Garage Whifbitz

but then again.. what DEi turbo blanket is typically the best to go for?

DEI 010144 Titanium T4 Turbo Shield Thermal Heat Shield Blanket - £110

vs

DEI Titanium Turbo Shield - Custom Fit Turbo Blanket T4 - £200

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hi everyone, sorry, I've just got around to doing this after being on business for a while and not using the car so much.

I've taken a look at the DEi titanium blankets and they do seem top quality but quite expensive. I understand that you get what you pay for but there do seem to be some good alternatives around.

T4 Vulcan Titanium Custom Fit Turbo Charger Heat Shield Blanket Made in USA | eBay

Garage Whifbitz Titanium T4 Turbo Blanket - Garage Whifbitz

but then again.. what DEi turbo blanket is typically the best to go for?

DEI 010144 Titanium T4 Turbo Shield Thermal Heat Shield Blanket - £110

vs

DEI Titanium Turbo Shield - Custom Fit Turbo Blanket T4 - £200

Hey mate, The ones you should go for are the PTP Lava turbo blanket they are extremely good quality, Great to deal with and withstand 1300C direct temp continuously. They have a proven track record and a HUGE following in America. Plus a dam site cheaper than DEI. hope this helps with your decision. .

James

1 - 18 of 18 Posts