GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's 8:14pm on a deserted pacific island, you're standing face to face with the most incredible brunette you've ever laid your eyes on. She stares intently at you, lip quivering as you move in for the kill. Suddenly her digital watch starts blaring, you look at her wrist but there's nothing there, she doesn't flinch, she's your prey tonight. Confused, you search the scene...beach? Check. Palm trees? Check. Alarm clock on bedside table...oh sh*t. You're dreaming. And slowly you realise it's time for work as the rain pitter patters on your double glazing. You lift your arm to depress the snooze button contemplating just 5 more minutes with this sea goddess when the door opens and she walks into the room wearing one of your old t-shirts, cocks a smile at you and slips into bed.

That kinda sums up how I felt this morning when I realised it really was here, tucked away in the garage, almost surreal.

I had a long journey, 5 hours in all, to Middlehurst via a number of trains but it flew by in what seemed like minutes as I sat on the train butterflies swarming around my stomach constantly trying to read this months Evo but unable to get more than a paragraph in before having to stop and think about it some more. Through sheer luck my delivery day happened to fall on my 27th birthday too, brucey bonus!

The first time I ever sat in a GTR was being picked up from the St. Helens Central yesterday. Yes, really. I had only ever seen a GTR up close once, in Kuala Lumpur a couple months ago as I exited a bar slightly (!) inebriated and proceeded to harass the owner with tales of my very own July delivery. He made his exit post haste.

Chris at Middlehurst made the handover experience very easy, the usual ritual of signing documents and warnings about warranties and talk of official Nismo (warranty friendly) upgrades coming soon whizzed by and after a tour of all the cars features (do they really expect you to remember it all?!) I was sat alone in the cockpit taking stock.

Apologies for the poor photo quality, iphone snaps...

Anyway you all know what a GTR looks like. I must say I am so pleased with the red, it really stood out amongst the other GTR's and was chuffed to see there was also only one other among them.

Here's a look at the Sat-Nav unit fitted with a cheap vent mount. £3 from any Vodaphone store right now (shelf price is £5 but on scan it will show £3). It fits snugly and securely, no wobble, couldn't be more pleased with it. The unit is a £50 Navi-go modded to run TomTom though you can choose any Nav software you like, and even have multiple versions on the unit, just need to tidy up the wires and we're all set.

Not gonna write up the driving experience until its properly run in, but the drive home was effortless and the car garnered a lot of attention from all walks of life. It's going to be an interesting experience having moved from a series of RWD 2 seater mid engined sports cars (Cayman S, Exige, VX220).

My only challenge left was getting it in the garage. Mine is behind my house with the drive running along side and the distance from the neighbours wall to my garage door is about the same as the cars length. I had measureed and remeasured, and for good measure measured some more and all the numbers were right, but when I stood there looking at the car and the small hole I had to slip it in it really seemed my goose was cooked. After a 20 minute choreographed dance we were in and I was very relieved! Actually once inside there's more room to exit, no awkward squeezing out, than I had with the Cayman, must be the positioning of the doors.

All in all a great day and I can't wait to get these 1000 miles out of the way and push the pedal to the floor. Must thank Chris and Jo at Middlehurst who were superb and I wouldn't ever dream of having another dealership service the car. Cheers! :bowdown1:

Anthony

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nice one Anthony, love the intro to this thread lol, you just can't beat red :bowdown1:, i never did post a collection pic of mine (to exceited to take many lol ) :

Watch the laquer though, it's so soft and the slightes brush of anything seems to show up on red,i'm still layering the protection on mine at the mo (oh and the nail to sort out :mad:) then i can start getting some miles on her only done 300 since i picked her up :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
600 miles :chuckle:

Anthony, great write up. Enjoy the car.
eeek! Don't tell me that, I'm certain Chris said keep it under 4500 for the 2nd 500 miles. Will call to confirm.

Totally forgot to take a proper camera with me, mine looks a bit orange in the pics, I must say yours looks particularly handsome H4S :chuckle: Will keep an eye out on the laquer, cheers!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Great write up there!

I have a white on order but the red has really been playing on my mind lately!
So did i :chuckle:, seeing the new white next to the red tho, i did kinda wish i had not changed my order! (plus we don't want to many red ones around now do we ;) )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats Anthony. Nice write up. Impressive in red.

Mine (DMG) should be delivered in early August.

Hopefully we can get them together in Spain soon.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Lovely car Anthony. Red does look cool.

I've measured my parking spot so many times! Seeing yours fit in I just have to know what size your garage is?! I will have to move out of my house if mine wont squeeze in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats Anthony. Nice write up. Impressive in red.

Mine (DMG) should be delivered in early August.

Hopefully we can get them together in Spain soon.
Cheers! Looking forward to tackling some passes this summer, going to look incredible in convoy :cool:

Lovely car Anthony. Red does look cool.

I've measured my parking spot so many times! Seeing yours fit in I just have to know what size your garage is?! I will have to move out of my house if mine wont squeeze in.
Just back from measuring again, width of garage door frame is 215cm and the internal width is 243cm. The car is 189.5cm wide.

I do have to retract the mirrors to get them past but otherwise it's all good. My issue is the distance between the garage and the wall opposite which is 450cm, the car is 460cm long. You can see how tight it is here:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks for that, really appreciated. I'm off out to do another measure! I can see what you mean now, It's a tight turning space. Did you plump for the reverse parking sensors?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I forgot to mention I had them installed and they work fine I just need to get used to their tolerances. Had to be reminded by the dealer as I didn't even notice them, the finish is very good.

Good luck!

·
Registered
485 Posts
eeek! Don't tell me that, I'm certain Chris said keep it under 4500 for the 2nd 500 miles. Will call to confirm.

Totally forgot to take a proper camera with me, mine looks a bit orange in the pics, I must say yours looks particularly handsome H4S :chuckle: Will keep an eye out on the laquer, cheers!
Great write up :) If you want to be certain about the running-in then check the manual, specifically pages 5-33 and 5-34...

... upshot is full revs (progressive acceleration) from 300 miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great write up :) If you want to be certain about the running-in then check the manual, specifically pages 5-33 and 5-34...

... upshot is full revs (progressive acceleration) from 300 miles.
Cheers Guy, I'm only 50 miles away and the sun has made an appearance.... :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some advice

Hi Anothney i have read your post and iam looking some advice iam about to order the 2010 gtr but iam stuck on colour can you tell me why you went for red instead of black ,i have a cayman s myself in red which is modified a bit and how looks beautiful what has it been like going from the porsche to the nissan are you glad to have moved,any thoughts about these would be great as my head is recked over colour choice.
cheers dave...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Anothney i have read your post and iam looking some advice iam about to order the 2010 gtr but iam stuck on colour can you tell me why you went for red instead of black ,i have a cayman s myself in red which is modified a bit and how looks beautiful what has it been like going from the porsche to the nissan are you glad to have moved,any thoughts about these would be great as my head is recked over colour choice.
cheers dave...
Hi Dave,

The difference between the two cars is night and day, in terms of performance the GTR renders the Caymans abilities almost pedestrian. You never sense that pushyouintothebackofthechair acceleration with the Cayman, it's as if the GTR's pedal is directly hooked up to my adrenal gland, the effect is addictive. As you will know the Coxster is more than capable in the handling department and I had feared the move to the GTR might lose some of that finesse in the corners due to it's size and the all wheel drive setup. I have to say it doesn't feel like I'm driving a 4WD at all. Super sharp turn in, great feel and response to your inputs belie its 1800kg mass.

The Cayman was black and very hard to keep clean. On that rarest of occasions when it was gleaming it looked stupendous (beauty..eye...beholder) but it of course looked as much like every other Porsche on the road (and seeing them is as common as a Golf in these parts). It was pretty much red from day one with the GTR, but I like the idea of there being few reds on the road so I would suggest you go for something else!

The GTR and Cayman S came in at around £3k apart, I think the only area you could match them is the finish of the interior where Germany bests Japan in every test but if you're considering a GTR then performance I imagine is your prime objective and for that there can be only one winner. Once you strap yourself in I don't think you'll care much what colour you have chosen once you depress the red starter button.....

·
Registered
20 Posts

I Think you r right about the car i have test drive a white one and it is quick i live in ireland so there is not many about you said that your porsche was black i take it that is was impossible to keep did it highlight scathes ,still think that i woud go red is she a nice deep red in really life i have seen loads of pictures from the net but i have been told they do the car no justice in real life.
cheers dave..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts